[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Controller Requires Admin

FuhreakFuhreak
Reactions: 7,440
Member, Private Tester
edited January 2019 in Bug Reporting
MapleStory requests to be run with administrator privileges.
(Or at the very least, it's elevated)

Y1E8eYI.png

Not only is this a security concern, but it forces certain programs (Read: Controller programs) to also require admin mode to detect.
This forces both the steam version using Big Picture to require Admin, as well as the Nexon Launcher version.
While using 3rd party controller software is technically a no-no, it's an important part of being able to play MapleStory for many players.
MapleStory should not require admin (or elevated rights) to run. Even Microsoft advises against this sort of behavior.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/aaron_margosis/2004/06/17/why-you-shouldnt-run-as-admin/

This could be related to the way I personally installed, but all people I personally know who play report this as well.
This is both on Steam and Nexon Launcher.

Comments

• NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited January 2019
    Nexon cannot help you if you are using 3rd-party software; I highly doubt you'll outright get a ban, but Nexon has stated in the past that you should not run these programs. At the very least, a lack of support means Nexon cannot help you if you experience issues when using a controller.

Also, the blog you linked is from 2004, and is about running your computer in administrator mode entirely, not about apps that request permissions. You shouldn't run your computer as an admin entirely because it ignores those permission request pop-ups, so you can't pick and choose which program accesses what (at least, you couldn't in 2004, Microsoft has introduced additional security features since then). Running your computer normally produces the pop-ups, allowing you to choose to run the program or not.
    Fuhreak
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited January 2019
    If they don't want people running third-party programs for gamepad support, then perhaps they need to overhaul the current poor excuse for support they offer first-party.
    FuhreakTotallyBroken
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2019
    Neospector wrote: »
    Nexon cannot help you if you are using 3rd-party software; I highly doubt you'll outright get a ban, but Nexon has stated in the past that you should not run these programs. At the very least, a lack of support means Nexon cannot help you if you experience issues when using a controller.

Also, the blog you linked is from 2004, and is about running your computer in administrator mode entirely, not about apps that request permissions. You shouldn't run your computer as an admin entirely because it ignores those permission request pop-ups, so you can't pick and choose which program accesses what (at least, you couldn't in 2004, Microsoft has introduced additional security features since then). Running your computer normally produces the pop-ups, allowing you to choose to run the program or not.

Source is indeed poor. It was more of a "They've said this is a bad idea for a long time."
    While they have little reason to ban, I also see little reason for this elevated level of privileges.
    A move to suggestions so that discussion could be continued about controller support is fine by me.