[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Class Suggestion: Set of Classes Made for Partying

fidgetspinnerACEfidgetspinnerACE
Reactions: 1,465
edited August 2019 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
So I thought this might be a fun class mechanic, having strength in certain areas in one facet, yet pivotal weaknesses in others. By banding together, these set of classes would essentially complete each other. RPG's really encapsulate this idea, so I guess I'll take the basic idea from D&D or something.

Warrior: Frontline attackers that also serve to protect the backrow support
Strengths: High HP, DEF, ATK
Weaknesses: Slow, no long range options

Magicians: Dynamic class that can play either an offensive or defensive role
Strengths: Various utility magic, can debuff enemies or buff party
Weaknesses: Weak defensively, reliance on MP (resource management)

Archers: A class that specializes in long ranged attacks and crowd control
Strengths: Damage over long range, mobile, reduce enemy mobility
Weaknesses: Weak defensively, few close range options

Thieves: Tricky class that requires ingenuity
Strengths: Jack-of-all trades, mobile and fast, can steal items, poison enemies
Weaknesses: Needs more player effort to use effectively, no real strengths

Maybe have certain class skills that are special to only that class, that also symbolize their strength. So, for example, since warriors have high hp and def, and the others only have moderate to low amounts. So have a skill that signifcantly boosts that.

Comments

• PetalmagicPetalmagic
    Reactions: 7,660
    edited August 2019
    Technically there are MS classes that once filled these niches...
    Warrior - Paladin
    Magician - Bishop
    Archer - I believe it was Bowmaster who held the niche
    Thief - Night Lord

Although certain changes has made the party niches useless, particularly Bishop being seen as one of the weakest classes in the game alongside Jett. I know that Bishop used to be one of the strongest classes in Pre-BB, and even Post BB it held utility and offensive ability, using Angel Ray for damage and buffing via HS and Advanced Blessing. Paladin is still touted for its Defensive buffs and abilities despite party play being almost non-existent. MM has de-throned BM, gaining a buff when its a certain range from a monster....and NL is...well everyone plays it for simplicity. Unfortunately these days... L I N E S T O R Y !
  • fidgetspinnerACEfidgetspinnerACE
    Reactions: 1,465
    edited August 2019
    Wow, I didn't know that. I'm sure the changes were absolutely necessary. And I don't think it's unfortunate for Maple to be focused on how much a class puts out damage. All classes can contribute damage, but I understand having to rely on party buffs would be a drag, especially if you can't find anyone to party with. Thinking about it now, we should delete all party-related stuff, damage is what should be the most important, since it's accessible to every class. Partying with a bunch of other DPSers would be too OP though... Which, then, I'm glad they've been making classes with gauge mechanics and difficulty in execution to balance it out. They should totally keep doing that. I hope one day, a class that needs to do one basic attack needs to fill 5 different gauges while doing a series of key combinations, and just one shots the entire screen with bright flashing light effects everywhere, that'd be the coolest.