[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Gaming Keyboard Macros

DaxterbeerDaxterbeer
Reactions: 7,195
edited September 2019 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
DISCLAIMER: I do not support botting or hacking. I am suggesting we can use our own macros that come with our own keyboard since the ingame one is awful.

This is going to be some controversial topic since software life Corsair Link and Razer Synaspe are third party software for gaming peripherals. They have dedicated keys to allow uses to record and create keystrokes as well as other uses. They have different modes which can determine how it repeats from only playing once, as long it is held or toggle (not happening) and playing X number of times. Some classes such as Blaster have very difficult keyboard inputs for optimal gameplay, and that assigning its combo as a macro would make the class easier. I've seen people use sticky keys for some classes such as Night Walkers attacks. Sometimes classes don't have combos, but you just want to time jump and a certain skill so you can perform an flash jump while attacking which normally is harder to perform (my shift key isn't perfect.)

I understand the ToS doesn't allow users to hack (obviously) or afk train with scripts or keyweighing while they are away, but using macros shouldn't be a red flag even though it is a third party software since we are not modifying the game's behavior. I did mention the keyboard macros do have a repeat loop function, but that shouldn't be allowed since it would just turn into botting.

What keyboard macros or mouse macros should be used for:
-Executing difficult keyboard commands to a single key
-Cubing something for a long time...
-Re-rolling Inner Ability Lines
-Just being a second version or a existing hotkey (3rd shift key anyone?)
-Star enhancing something that is taking forever (you kinda need to line up the windows)

What keyboard macros are NOT for:
-AFK training/ botting
-Spamming advertisements
-Hacking (even manual is just wrong)

If players were using macros without botting, it would make training and bossing "easier." I am saying easier with quotes since macros you recorded could backfire on you and that there is still some manual work to be done. Training rotations still require jumping and basic movement otherwise you would be comboing while being motionless. It would require times where the player would have to stop comboing and jump to the next group of mobs or time it with their jumps so they can do maneuvers. If you are about to say Maplestory has their own macros already, it kinda sucks since:
1. You are only limited to 3 skills
2. Spamming them can sometimes cause it to loop
3. There is no option for recording delays to simultaneous keystrokes
4. Some skills don't work because they have a stinking cooldown
5. You cannot do some things like click fast

I hope you guys can trust that we won't go botting because of this idea of legalizing third party macros. I just want to make hard classes easier and among other things since we are all humans who want to click faster or want to play a legal combo without breaking our fingers.

KittiesArch_Alyssa
  1. Should training macros be allowed for the above reasons?8 votes
    1. Yes
       100% (8 votes)
    2. No
       0% (0 votes)

Comments

• KittiesKitties
    Reactions: 1,245
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2019
    I think this is a good idea.
    If anything, Nexon should add a way to auto - open various use items in games in intervals.
    I do not really consider it gameplay to repeatedly press and see what node I am getting for hours.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2019
    It's a slippery slope and it's very easy to be confused on where the line is drawn for both players and GMs.
    That said, if hard lines were drawn in the sand on what can and cannot be done I would be fine with this.
    For example, I use a controller to play, technically breaking ToS because of 3rd party software. Nexon seems to turn a blind eye to this kind of behavior already.
    I've admitted to using a controller both on forums and in-game. I'm not sure if Nexon has any way to tell in game, but on forums they most certainly do.
    There are actually guides on the forums explaining how to do this. If Nexon actually cared about this behavior, this would not be allowed.

I personally believe that Nexon would not care if you were to take it a step further by using gaming keyboards in the way described in the OP.
    But again, because hard lines in the sand are not drawn, it is up to the individual to decide what needs to happen.
    Some GMs may see that kind of behavior and say "Breaking ToS. Ban." others might say "That's not malicious. No ban."
    Other games even allow for direct modifications to the client itself so long as it isn't malicious. (Remove/Change censor anyone?)
    Some kind of public acknowledgement on "No, we're not going to ban players for this" would be nice from Nexon.
    Kitties wrote: »
    I think this is a good idea.
    If anything, Nexon should add a way to auto - open various use items in games in intervals.
    I do not really consider it gameplay to repeatedly press and see what node I am getting for hours.

Hot key nodestones to open them. The only window showing what you got that needs to be messed with is the last one.
    DaxterbeerHuskyDMdarik
  • DaxterbeerDaxterbeer
    Reactions: 7,195
    edited September 2019

I hope to see more people play more of those combo dependent classes or be able to able to play them more efficiently. I just hope there isn't a large number of
    Fuhreak wrote: »
    Some kind of public acknowledgement on "No, we're not going to ban players for this" would be nice from Nexon.

That would be nice. It's isn't an update for feature that needed to be developed and implemented, so it doesn't need to travel to devs to create it. I do wonder if the people in Nexon America would allow gameplay like this and how long does it take for the change to take effect.

I hope to see more people play more of those combo dependent classes or be able to able to play them more efficiently. I just hope there isn't a large number of players AFK training that causes us to lose this privilege (that is if we gain it in the first place.)

HuskyDM
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2019
    The whole point of combo-dependent classes is that they're hard to master.
    Nexon Korea intentionally makes them require "skill", as opposed to the "hold down a button" classes of the past - and gives them rewards for it. They actually said that Blaster was so strong because it takes effort to play it optimally.

So, allowing people to let hardware do the heavy lifting for them, runs counter to the developer intentions.

As for macroing repetitive activities like cubing or star forcing, a suggestion should be made on how to streamline the process without use of specialized hardware. Just as Nexon made it possible to do batch crafting, extraction, and node opening, they might be open to reducing the clicking needed for cubing or star forcing. Draw up a suggestion.
    Fuhreak
  • HuskyDMHuskyDM
    Reactions: 3,745
    edited October 2019
    I think that key weighting being a banable offense is stupid enough already. This isn't a pvp game or anything where you would get any significant advantage over macroing. Macroing could help when using items in a sequence as skill macros only work with skills and not having a item-buff macro can sometimes make buffing mid boss disorienting.

That being said I agree with AKradian that classes that uses combos and the like to be efficient should not be rewarded if you make a software do the heavy lifting, which is something macros can do, unlike key weighting and that could affect the balance of the game making some classes easier than others. Its a complicated case where technically there is no one harmed but at the same time the balance is tipped and therefore issues are caused.

What I think would help (but probably will never happen) is that we get a way more efficient way to use items/skills than what we have now. Having a skill button that runs through potions and skills for buffing, which would be better than what we have now. Improving the use of certain items so we can open nodestones and cube faster without having to go through several dialog windows over and over. Neither of these make the game play any differently and only improves the amount of time that would otherwise be wasted thinking on what key did you leave that other potion on.

Still given Nexon absolute lack of communication when it comes to what are exactly banable offenses and their silence when it comes to changing the game in favor of quality of life it will take a miracle for someone in the upper echelons to be reached about this issue/suggestion.
    darik