[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.250 - Mayple Island Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Playing through steam, gateway for hackers?

xtsxts
Reactions: 100
in Tech Support
Hello,
is there a way to launch the game (or any nexon game) through steam and have it REQUIRE me to provide log in credentials because I've noticed steam just launches the game and loggs you in without you doing so manually. This feels like a huge security issue especially considering how often I get emails from steam about different IPs trying to gain access to my account. The issue seemed even more apparent after the following:

I've recently decided revisit Mapleystory after only briefly playing as a kaiser for what amounts to 2-4 hours of playtime only to find out I've been banned since who knows when. It's been a few years since I visited the game. This got me worried and so i checked my more frequently visited account on Vindictus, and noticed that i had supposed logged in from a different IP! Now this could have been due to me getting a new router, but was still worrisome. I had set up a second layer of credentials/code on that game so i typed in my code and it seems nothing was missing from that account seems like that code might have saved me?

Comments

• NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited February 2020
    Steam logs you in utilizing your Steam login credentials. Provided your Steam Account is secure, it shouldn't affect Maple's login.
    You can, however, disable auto-login to Steam by clicking on "Steam" in the upper-left corner, selecting "Change Account", and unticking the "Auto-login" box.
    I cannot guarantee this affects all computers with Steam on it, however, so I would do the following:
    1. Log out of Steam on all devices
    2. Log out of your email account on all devices — This should be different for each email service, but typically all email services offer this function
    3. Run a virus scan on your computer. I use MalwareBytes due to them also offering adware cleaners, and Avira due to its easy scanning abilities. If you find significant problems, clean them for safety.
    4. On a trusted device, sign into your email and change the password. Additionally, enable 2-factor authentication.
    5. On a trusted device, sign into Steam and change your password. Steam also offers 2-factor authentication with Steam Guard.
    6. If your Nexon and Steam accounts are different, sign into your Nexon account and change the password and your PIC. Nexon also offers 2-factor authentication through the Google Authenticator app.