[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

[World Merge] All Regular Servers Combine

SenzuBeanSenzuBean
Reactions: 775
edited December 2020 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
People really want to play on a server as high pop at the reboot servers which have around 50% of GMS' playerbase.
And it really feels too empty sometimes playing in regular servers that have the other 50% scattered in 4 servers.
But with all the restrictions that come with Reboot, it doesn't feel viable to switch to reboot just for more pop for alot of people.

So, merging all regular servers into one.
Reviving a ghost town to be more lively
And it's even more important with such a low playerbase that we don't spread too thin to the point where it becomes impossible to meet up without a guild

Thoughts?
VenusVS
  1. World Merge all regular servers into one?9 votes
    1. Yes
       33% (3 votes)
    2. No
       33% (3 votes)
    3. Instead have an optional World Leap into one regular server
       33% (3 votes)

Comments

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2020
    Some people want to play in a high population server, some don't.
    From what I've seen, most of the people who chose to stay in their worlds during the World Leap event when many players went to Bera, prefer the peace and quiet of their lower-population worlds.
    The people who complain about their world being "empty" or "a ghost town" are those who missed the World Leap, and came back much later to find their world emptier than they'd like.
    I personally don't feel it's right to penalize the consistent players who prefer quieter worlds, forcing them into one crowded, laggy world where they'd have to fight to find a map to train in, just to please seasonal players who would likely take a long break again after Christmas anyway.
    SenzuBeanPhantomErevegigatrap
  • SenzuBeanSenzuBean
    edited December 2020
    AKradian wrote: »
    The people who complain about their world being "empty" or "a ghost town" are those who missed the World Leap, and came back much later to find their world emptier than they'd like.

So maybe as a compromise set up an optional world leap but only a one way transfer to a single world?

People playing on quieter servers still chill
    People who came back recently can play in a lively server
    Satisfies both sides

PorterVenusVS
  • HuskyDMHuskyDM
    Reactions: 3,745
    edited December 2020
    I think you can still merge the lower pop servers into a single one to get some balance. I'm all for team peace and quiet, but there is also a thing as WAY too much peace and quiet. Elysium and Aurora could have been a single world imo.

Also at this point getting more people in regular servers is only possible if you kill Reboot, since that's their direct competition and, given the benefits like no p2w and constant player numbers, its hard to argue in favor of regular servers, besides something like the Auction House or trading.
    Porter
  • PorterPorter
    Reactions: 1,135
    edited December 2020
    I was invited to Bera by some friends during the world leap but had a lot going on in real life at the time so I missed it. Before life happened I was an active player, not a seasonal player, but once Scania started to die down I found myself uninterested in being on as often and quit. It was the same few people who had exclusive groups of friends rather than more diverse groups of people/new people to socialize with. Now I play Reboot but if World Transfer remained a permanent option I think I would've stayed in regular servers. I understand there being people who prefer quieter servers but it also makes it hard for returning players to want to keep playing. The influx in Reboot's population is somewhat due to that. Every new player/returning player I've met in Reboot so far would all say the same thing: "I joined Reboot because the regular servers were so dead." Aurora and Elysium should both separately be combined with Scania and Bera. The more those servers' population die down it'll inevitably happen anyway so might as well get a jump on it to try and preserve the player base.
    SenzuBeanVenusVS
  • SenzuBeanSenzuBean
    edited December 2020
    Personally, I feel this is a big matter
    Population is why pre-normal server players went to GMS Reboot after coming back
    Population is why so many people left from GMS to KMS and never looked back because it was better there.
    Some people want to play in a high population server, some don't.
    I personally don't feel it's right to penalize the consistent players who prefer quieter worlds, forcing them into one crowded, laggy world where they'd have to fight to find a map to train in, just to please seasonal players who would likely take a long break again after Christmas anyway.

This is the main point that you overlooked.
    Because it's a complete world merge, only 1 world is left.
    That means that all server resources funnel into one world.

Each server has a max load of 100%.
    But Depending on how dead the server is the actual load is 10-35%
    That's an accumulative load of 40-140% load on servers that can handle 400% load. Isn't that a waste?
    But what if we joined the server resources and had a super server that is capable of having a 400% load like above?
    The amount of power the server would gain would jump up 4x instead of being split by 4 servers and not only that, it would also have a lower average load %
    Because 40-140% load on a 400% max load is actually
    around a 110% load avg/ 4 servers
    = ~25% load / 100% max load on the new super server
    This performance boost alone is a great boon, but the population boost is even better

• PirateIzzyPirateIzzy
    Reactions: 5,265
    edited December 2020
    Given how much of a disaster Double Miracle Time was for Reboot players back in July, merging all the other worlds into one would only lead to the theoretical merged non-Reboot world to deal with the same issues, and likely to never experience a Double Miracle Time again.
  • VenusVSVenusVS
    Reactions: 3,725
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2020
    I hope they bring back World Leap because I missed the event. I wanna transfer all of my characters from Scania to Bera.