[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

regarding the gendered ring gifting mishap

SouriaSouria
Reactions: 1,200
edited September 2021 in General Chat
im honestly sick of it.

the game is so thoroughly, brutally, haphazardly gendered. we all remember zero ssb, weve all gotten items with the right stats on the wrong gender, etc. antiquated as this system is, its pretty baked into the game.

i wasnt particularly optimistic on the prospects of it changing- last time i saw the gender mechanic being discussed on here, most of the replies were to the tune of "why do you care, theyre gendered for a reason bc boys want boy clothes and yadda yadda" all the old beats. i had a little more hope since opinions seem to have moved (at least i hope so)

so when i saw that the cash shop relationship rings werent gonna be restricted by gender anymore i got kind of hype, yeah its the bare minimum but like, its something! more than ive ever seen from maple, and it would make a lot of people happy!

and then they edited it cuz whoopsie nope no gay

was this an actual mishap? did corporate strike down on the decision afterward? how would it have gotten through in the first place?

this issue is technically more related to same gender relationships (or even just a small implication of one) than gender, but those issues tend to go hand in hand- south korea is very conservative and nexon really wants to appeal to as many people as they can and that to them means keeping their image as non-'offensive' as humanly possible so i dont expect them to remove gender restrictions or even add same gender marriage...im just sad that it looked like we'd get something and it was just an ~error~, i guess.

let us know what you actually plan to do with gender/marriage in the future or keep a tighter leash on your operation. this is just annoying and disappointing.

i mean they could remove gender as a mechanic and let people put what they want on their charas and save all the headache...