[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

60 Days chat ban

ButWhyButWhy
Reactions: 400
edited April 2022 in General Chat
Hi

I am one of the many recent victims of a chat ban.

Considering these bans have never happened in this frequency before (I don't remember any of these bans back then in 2010), clearly something was changed that we are not aware of. And on top of that, whoever or whatever reviews player reports is not only doing it poorly but also quite emotionless, I feel like I'm talking to a cold robot AI.

Harassment to me is a big deal and not just a small problem where it can be fix by a ban. I wish Nexon would issue a warning or provide general info, enough to protect the identity of the reporter to the individuals like myself to correct our behavior.

The ineffective approach to addressing this situation with negative reinforcement blows my mind because it does not give the person an idea of what has to be done.
In addition, simply stating this could have been a permanent ban doesn't help the situation even more as the player doesn't even know what they have done to offend someone so bad to the point it was reported as harassment. There can be so many scenarios where this person is speaking in ALL but not to the direct person who reported them.

According to some people I've spoken to, you can only get chat ban if at least one person takes a Screen Shot and report you, but here's an issue, you can find many people who swear and curse others on a regular basis but never get chat banned while others that swear/curse once in a while get chat banned all the time (due to haters I suppose), do you find it fair? because I don't.

I believe this is the main reason as to why there are many new discord groups now in which people join and having conversations due to fact that it's actually a place where they can speak freely without fear and anxiety of "wait i just said that and this, maybe someone took a SS and I'll get chat ban now!".
I actually tried to talk to 1 of my friends like a few weeks ago in Maple, he quickly replied "I do not talk in Maple, talk to me on Discord if you want".
At first I thought he was an extremist, but now I realized that I'm the one who made the mistake....

I sincerely enjoy this game a lot and the events. However, the lack of effectiveness in addressing behavior and recent events has left a sour taste in my mouth.
But now I feel like my time has went to waste because Nexon decide to purge everyone all at once for "inappropriate chat."

I hope Nexon takes my message into consideration to change their approach to addressing behavior, but to also build a healthy environment by having individuals who will put more effort into supporting their consumers.
  1. It is fair to chat ban someone right away without a warning?3 votes
    1. No
       33% (1 vote)
    2. Yes, because... (please explain yourself)
       67% (2 votes)

Comments

• ButWhyButWhy
    Reactions: 400
    edited May 2022
    Those 2 votes of number 2 does NOT count because they did NOT explain themselves
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2022
    ButWhy wrote: »
    Those 2 votes of number 2 does NOT count because they did NOT explain themselves

I don't think they do have to explain themselves, but I'll give you one.
    As for your question
    "It is fair to chat ban someone right away without a warning?"
    Nexon issuing a temp ban before telling you what that ban is for is fine. Nexon should maybe tell you what you did wrong after they chat ban you, but in my experience there's no need for that. Unlike hacking or abusing game mechanics, there is no grey zone in chat bans. They can easily prove you said something with chat logs. There is no need to audit it further because you either said it or you didn't.

In my experience people usually know exactly what got them chat banned.
    If you find yourself getting chat banned maybe it's your guild because personally I talk to some very offensive people (on maple) and they only ever get chat banned when taking their trolls to MVP or normal chat in a populated area. Nine times out of ten they know exactly what got them banned.

But ultimately, it doesn't really matter because chat bans aren't permanent, you aren't stopped from playing the game and like you said, most people talk outside of the game anyway.
    If you fear chat bans just try being a little more vague with friendly banter or use personal lingo.