[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

UI Optimization / Resolution Issues

deathdog411deathdog411
Reactions: 310
edited December 2023 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
In the patch notes, in the resolution section, it says to report issues we come across with the new resolution/UI Optimization changes. I am submitting my issues here as I don't know where else to report them. I've always played Maplestory on 1920 x 1080. However, my monitor does support 1440p, so I wanted to try that option.

In 1080p, the UI is very smooth when using "UI Optimization". It doesn't take up the large majority of your screen, and the UI looks very high definition. Unfortunately, in 1440p, both with and without "UI Optimization", the UI takes up a MAJORITY of the screen, the UI looks blurry, and overall, it looks almost identical to 720p. Screenshots are shown here for reference: https://imgur.com/a/sBQ7Q9S

In my opinion, 1440p should look more high definition than 1080p. In general for other games that I've played, 1440p usually makes the UI smaller and clearer. Unfortunately in Maplestory, it looks the opposite.

I think another option that could be useful is to allow us to have "options" to make the UI smaller or larger regardless of the resolution. (Many games allow for a sliding bar to adjust UI size independent of the resolution chosen).

Last thing which is not as important but would be nice: the chat window never moves with the resolution changing. It would be nice for it to always place itself at the bottom lefthand side (or have it place to the same area relative to the new resolution), so that I don't have to manually drag it back down. This issue also happens when you go into gameplay sections that require a lower resolution (for example, when doing the fishing event in Iden, your resolution goes down. When you come out of the event at your higher resolution, the chat bar is now higher than it was before.

I hope this information can help solve the issue. I would really like this to work as the new "fullscreen" option by hitting alt + enter essentially creates a "fullscreen borderless" mode so I can tab in and out easily of Maplestory.
Fuhreak

Comments

• FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2023
    Are you sure you hit confirm after you did UI Optimization on 1440?
    Both your screenshots do look blurry as if nothing has changed, however when I personally test this option it looks nothing like yours and does in fact scale it up very nicely.
    You have to hit confirm after you check the box otherwise it won't work.

XbJNEeC.png
    Optimization on.

KPkETPp.png
    Optimization off.

It does make the UI slightly bigger but this can't really be avoided. It has to do with the way it's scaling the UI.
    The reason that the off version looks so blurry is because the pixel scaling ratio is farther away from 1:1, (IE: True pixels)

pnWLcIg.png
    Looking at Phalanx Charge's Icon, here is what the base icon, scaled icon (no UI Optimization) and scaled icon (UI Optimization) look like side by side.
    The reason why the UI Optimization version isn't blurry (and also slightly bigger) is that it's exactly double the size of the other icon.
    Each 1x1 pixel is instead turned into a 2x2 pixel. There is zero data loss and it scales up perfectly.
    Notice how four of the original icon fit into the perfectly scaled version, making it 2x2. The unoptimized version, is slightly smaller, this means that the computer has to "make up" (blur) data in order to properly scale it. Nexon could have used a better scaling method, and the game does seem to support picking your scaling method now to some degree at least. (Under the laboratory tab under options)

What you're asking for should be within grasp and as a player who would like to be able to just play in a 1:1 scaling ratio at full screen this is a nice middle ground if Nexon allows players to pick the scaling method they like best.
    1:1 Scaling presents problems in widescreen of players being able to see more or less at certain resolutions so being able to pick which scaling method you want to use is a way to make sure players aren't gaining "unfair advantage" by playing in a different resolution.

Here's the skill, scaled to the same size as the unoptimized UI, but with different scaling methods applied.
    Nearest Neighbor is my personal favorite.
    9N50IZc.png
    Top Left: As it appears in game
    Top Right: Nearest Neighbor
    Bottom Left: Hermite
    Bottom Right: Lanczos3

As for allowing players to scale their UI and keeping the relative position of the chatbox in relation to the window size, please yes Nexon. These should be easy additions and would also give us more freedom in controlling how our game looks and feels graphically.
    deathdog411
  • deathdog411deathdog411
    edited January 5
    Did you click on the picture itself once opening the imgur link? For some reason on the website preview its blurry but when you click on it you can see what it looks like.
    Although in 2440 x 1440 both without UI Optim and UI Optim, it looks more blurry than it does in 1920 x 1080 with UI Optim, which I feel like defeats the purpose of having higher resolutions.

Yes the icons look a bit more sharp when clicking UI Optim, but it always overall looks worse than 1080 with UI Optim to me. In addition to that, the UI is MUCH smaller on 1080p w/ UI Optim. Personally, I prefer this because it lets you see so much more on the screen (various stuff in boss fights, loot on the floor when mobbing, etc.) I understand what you said about the scaling and why it makes it bigger, do you know why it makes it smaller in 1080p? I'm wondering if its because im on a 1440p monitor. Not sure how 1080p w/ UI Optim looks on a 1080p monitor.

I agree this would be a non-issue if I could just scale each piece of my UI. I should be able to use a sliding bar to adjust my minimap size, my quick slots size, etc.

For me personally, it would also be a non-issue if I could just full screen borderless at any resolution (which is mainly WHY I want to play in 1440p, because the new "Max Resolution" thing they have with "ALT + ENTER" is basically full screen borderless

As for the last picture you sent, are those scaling options in the game? Or you used those methods manually on a third party? In my lab section I can just select "Sharp" or "Smooth"
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 6
    Did you click on the picture itself once opening the imgur link? For some reason on the website preview its blurry but when you click on it you can see what it looks like.
    Although in 2440 x 1440 both without UI Optim and UI Optim, it looks more blurry than it does in 1920 x 1080 with UI Optim, which I feel like defeats the purpose of having higher resolutions.
    Yeah the second image (https://i.imgur.com/fYejNZR.jpeg) and the fourth image (https://i.imgur.com/9Ip3bT8.jpeg) have the exact same image as far as I can tell.
    When I do UI Optim in 1440 it looks like my other post where it appears more clean, that's why I'm wondering if you applied the setting correctly.
    If you did apply it correctly then something with your game is bugged because it works on my end.
    That doesn't invalidate any of your suggestions though as Nexon should be giving us more control over our game UI and Resolutions.
    As for the last picture you sent, are those scaling options in the game? Or you used those methods manually on a third party? In my lab section I can just select "Sharp" or "Smooth"

They're in a third party program, I was just showing them as additional info for what Nexon could be giving us, not what is actually in-game.
    It would be really nice if Nexon continues to use the "Laboratory" tab for experimental features that may or not may be developed further.
  • deathdog411deathdog411
    edited January 29
    Hmm, maybe so. I think it just appears blurry to me because its so much larger. The main issue I have is the UI taking up so much of my screen in 1440p vs 1080p. Easiest solution imo is to let us scale each part of the UI manually (separate for minimap, for quick slots, etc

Gotcha, the lab thing is a step in the right direction for sure hopefully they do more with it