[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Forum Notifications

BIackbeanBIackbean
Reactions: 3,450
edited October 2016 in General Chat
I think the new forum and old forum is still pretty much the same in terms of notifying someone.

If someone comments on your own thread then you get notified, but if you comment on someone else's thread and they @tag you or quote you, it doesn't show up in my notifications?
Lilyflower

Comments

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2016
    You're right that we don't get notified when we're quoted. We pretty much have to bookmark (the tiny hardly-visible star at the top right of a thread) any thread we want to be notified of updates to (which may or may not be related to our post on that thread).

As for @tags, we do get notified, but only if the name is separate from punctuation. For example, if I type @Blackbean , you'll get notified. But if I don't leave a space between your name and the comma, and type @Blackbean, then the forums will try to notify a person called "Blackbean," which doesn't exist, and nothing will happen.
    Lilyflower
  • BIackbeanBIackbean
    edited October 2016
    AKradian
    AKradian said:

You're right that we don't get notified when we're quoted. We pretty much have to bookmark (the tiny hardly-visible star at the top right of a thread) any thread we want to be notified of updates to (which may or may not be related to our post on that thread).

As for @tags, we do get notified, but only if the name is separate from punctuation. For example, if I type @Blackbean , you'll get notified. But if I don't leave a space between your name and the comma, and type @Blackbean, then the forums will try to notify a person called "Blackbean," which doesn't exist, and nothing will happen.

Ah thanks for the clarification regarding to tags!

And ya I was more concerned regarding to quote notifications
    Lilyflower
  • gamechangergamechanger
    Reactions: 3,460
    edited October 2016
    Its feasible for them to implement notifications upon being quoted, but I don't think it would be for the best. This forum supports deeply nested quotes (I think I've already seen a 6 deep nested quote?) however, which could mean that you would be notified over and over and over that you were "quoted" when in fact the quote had more to do with the reply to your comment than anything that you yourself said. I can see how that would get annoying real fast.

Of course this is just going off the basis that they would notify you by parsing the HTML and notifying all the names who appear in the quote tags.
    Lilyflower
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2016
    gamechanger

Its feasible for them to implement notifications upon being quoted, but I don't think it would be for the best. This forum supports deeply nested quotes (I think I've already seen a 6 deep nested quote?) however, which could mean that you would be notified over and over and over that you were "quoted" when in fact the quote had more to do with the reply to your comment than anything that you yourself said. I can see how that would get annoying real fast.

Of course this is just going off the basis that they would notify you by parsing the HTML and notifying all the names who appear in the quote tags.
    They could notify only the top level being quoted.

Also, note that we can opt in or out of any notification type. If it gets too annoying for you, turn it off.
    Lilyflower
  • BIackbeanBIackbean
    edited October 2016
    AKradian
    AKradian said:

gamechanger

They could notify only the top level being quoted.

Also, note that we can opt in or out of any notification type. If it gets too annoying for you, turn it off.
    ya top quote is good, that way we can track the discussion

Lilyflower