[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

How is the game updated?

EdemonEdemon
Reactions: 1,265
edited November 2016 in General Chat
It's really a serious question.
I was just wondering: Why does it take so long to update the game? What's the process of your maintanences? I mean, there are games that get updates weekly, and we just need to spend like 20 minutes to download the new patch. Maplestory, on the other hand, takes 12 hours with a maintanence just to put the new patch online, like you guys were creating it. I know how hard it is to create new content; since you guys need to transalate, bugfix and everything, but why does it take that long to just implement it?
FieldSky

Comments

• AkihikoT_AkihikoT_
    Reactions: 1,315
    edited November 2016
    Edemon
    Edemon said:

I was just wondering: Why does it take so long to update the game? What's the process of your maintanences? I mean, there are games that get updates weekly, and we just need to spend like 20 minutes to download the new patch. Maplestory, on the other hand, takes 12 hours with a maintanence just to put the new patch online, like you guys were creating it. I know how hard it is to create new content; since you guys need to transalate, bugfix and everything, but why does it take that long to just implement it?
    Part of it is I don't think Nexon has a test server, and they're using more than just KMS, so they can't just copy paste the code even since it will affect other parts of the game too. If you've ever played Skyrim with add-ons you'd have an idea. Some add-ons don't work together so you either need to fix it, or find something that fixes the issue for you, but to do this you would have to go through every line of code and know what to look for, or put it in and then tweak it, check it and tweak it again and repeat. I feel like it shouldn't take THIS long though since they should have done the translations and such beforehand, but I can understand 2-3 hours to go through line by line to ensure nothing is wrong with the code.
  • EdemonEdemon
    Reactions: 1,265
    edited November 2016
    AkihikoT_
    AkihikoT_ said:

Edemon
    Edemon said:

Part of it is I don't think Nexon has a test server, and they're using more than just KMS, so they can't just copy paste the code even since it will affect other parts of the game too. If you've ever played Skyrim with add-ons you'd have an idea. Some add-ons don't work together so you either need to fix it, or find something that fixes the issue for you, but to do this you would have to go through every line of code and know what to look for, or put it in and then tweak it, check it and tweak it again and repeat. I feel like it shouldn't take THIS long though since they should have done the translations and such beforehand, but I can understand 2-3 hours to go through line by line to ensure nothing is wrong with the code.
    EXACTLY! 2-3 hours or even some more time would be okay, but i really don't get how they spend so much time on the maintanences. It's almost 13 hours of maintanence, even tough they should do most of the work beforehand.