[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Frequent Disconnect issue for Wi-Fi players

XeraphimXeraphim
Reactions: 1,480
edited October 2016 in Bug Reporting
Getting kicked out of the game at completely random intervals is irritating.
When it happens during a major boss fight, it's enough to make a person scream with deep rage if it's been happening for a month or more and just got even worse.

I'll copy-paste your formatting.

Bug type: Disconnect during gameplay with special emphasis on boss fights (more frequent when bossing)

Brief bug summary: MapleStory is losing connection to the player with dramatically disruptive frequency, as a forced logout is imposed.

More details: It's like being in the middle of a shower and being suddenly thrown out of your house into a pile of dirt and sticks. You have to start over again. Now imagine that there is an entry limit on your shower. Getting the picture yet? Fix it. Boss fights should be BY COMPLETION, not by entry. That way I may waste 30 Monster Park potions on 15 entries but when I finish that 15th time, then my limit is over. Do it monster park style, no XP until it's over. Stop penalizing players for your servers losing connection to them.

(anything not included in the other sections of your report)

Steps to reproduce: Be on a Wireless connection 600ft from the access point with a very strong signal (-10dBm and -55dBm, mixed mode, QoS High for this machine and High for Maplestory ports) that has to travel through a VPN (or my connection is censored and I can't play MS; Private Internet Access VPN Chicago server) before heading to and from the Nexon servers that run Maplestory. Go around kicking ass as a Kinesis. Crash like crazy because Nexon codes in even MORE bugs that cause a forced logout as part of Update 177.

(if not covered in the summary)

Character name: XeraphimPsy

Character level: 191

Character job: Kinesis

World name: Reboot

Date and time of the incident: Extremely frequent (once every 0.5-2 days, consistently). In this case, 9:30pm CST.

(mention your time zone if you aren't posting Pacific time)

The Poll below ran out of space or would read "Where does it happen most frequently?"
  1. If you crash to a forced logout or Maplestory crashes to desktop, Where does it happen?5 votes
    1. Questing (NPCs just like to make things crash)
       20% (1 vote)
    2. Beating up mobs like crazy
       20% (1 vote)
    3. Bossing (EHRMAHGERD PLZ FIX)
       60% (3 votes)
    4. After I move over all my Link skills (or During Link Skill Change)
       0% (0 votes)
    5. Jump Quests
       0% (0 votes)
    6. Looting "OVER 9000!" things at once with 4 meso magnet pets (Hacking)
       0% (0 votes)

Comments

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2016
    To answer your poll: for me, if I disconnect, 99% of the time it's within a minute or two of changing channels.

So, I recommend that after
    - logging in
    - changing channel
    - using boss tele
    - leaving Cash Shop
    - leaving Monster Life
    - entering "private channels" (CPQ, DIPQ, Evo)
    - leaving "private channels"
    - any other occasion when your Android says "You must be my boss" (or "I thought you'd been deactivated" for Futuroids)
    you wait at least 2 minutes before starting anything that has limited entries.
  • XeraphimXeraphim
    Reactions: 1,480
    edited October 2016
    I'll be just herp derping around like usual and mess with the UI a bit, get a plan going over a span of about 5-10 minutes then figure "Ok, I feel like doing my Bossing runs now." Then I queue up, head into the pre-area then spend another 2-5 minutes planning out the buff sequence (temp buffs, XP boosts, att/speed boosts, etc.) then I'll head in fully loaded.

Then the game crashes. Bye bye buffs, bye bye entry attempt, bye bye XP that I was planning on getting.
    Nexon just flips me the big middle finger and keeps on doing what they do.
    Lately this is happening in Commerci a lot too.

So I try to figure out what happened and eventually I narrow the problem down.
    It's the Server. However Nexon has the server side of Maplestory configured, it crashes the living daylights out of folks on Wifi.

Sometimes it's a CTL (Crash to Login screen), sometimes it's a CTD (Crash to Desktop). More often lately it's a CTL then 3 minutes later it's a CTD. My OS is sending a lot of minidumps to Microsoft about the Maplestory.exe crashes though so hopefully they can fix the server side process sometime in the near future.
    That is, unless Nexon is not getting a copy of the minidumps. That would be bad.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2016
    WiFi has nothing to do with your crashing. Unless it's low quality WiFi and you're dropping packets left and right, or the router is severely overloaded (e.g., it's intended for home use but has an entire college dorm building using it) and your packets get delayed too long.

Yes, Maple is very dependent on a stable connection. It's developed in South Korea, the country with "the best internet in the world", where most people play at PC Cafes with high-speed wired connections. If you think the dumps sent to microsoft will make Nexon redo their handshake protocols, I got a bridge I can sell you real cheap.