[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Cursed rune no XP or items?

NorheronNorheron
Reactions: 100
edited May 2021 in General Chat
So I have come back to MapleStory after a long break from the game and I have noticed something very strange. After awhile of grinding on a map a message appears about a cursed rune and I stop getting XP, items and money. The only way I have found to fix this is to find a new map to grind on when it happens but then it happens again on the new map so I have to keep constantly finding new maps to grind on. This is making levelling very difficult. Can someone please explain what is going on?

Comments

• NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited May 2021
    Special objects called Runes appear on maps.
    rune-in-the-world.png

You can activate them by pressing the Harvest/NPC chat (default is space bar) to grant certain bonuses such as boosted recovery, reduced cooldowns, or special effects like summoning lightning or poison clouds. All runes also grant 2x EXP while active. Runes have a 15-minute cooldown between usage.

If you don't use a rune and leave it sitting, the rune will become cursed and reduce EXP/drops to 0 over time. You can reverse this simply by activating the rune. Activating a rune also grants a special buff that lets you ignore the rune curse in other maps, if you happen to leave the map you're in.

https://maplestory.nexon.net/micro-site/59389
    Norheron
  • NorheronNorheron
    Reactions: 100
    edited May 2021
    Thanks for answering my question. :) I have been away from the game for a long time and last time I played these runes didn't exist so I had no idea what was going on. I wasn't sure if it was a bug or if I was being penalised for something.
  • SirSpoonySirSpoony
    Thanks! This helped me in 2022 as well! :smiley: