[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.250 - Mayple Island Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Make "weapon booster" skills passive

AKradianAKradian
Reactions: 40,310
Member, Private Tester
edited May 2017 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
Most classes have a skill, usually in 2nd job, which increases their attack speed by two levels.
This skill is a self-buff (no party effects) with no cooldown.

Most other no-cooldown self-buffs have been changed to be passive or a toggle, but the "booster" skills of all classes have remained active buffs that need to be recast every 3 minutes or so.
I see no reason why it needs to be that way.
So, I suggest these skills become passive.

Note: I'm aware many classes still have some other active no-cooldown no-party buffs that should become passive. However, please let's keep this thread about "weapon booster" only. Create other threads for your class-specific skills.
AzureNarga

Comments

• SlicedTimeSlicedTime
    Reactions: 1,720
    edited May 2017
    +1 to thiss. Would be one less buff to use in buff-heavy classes.
  • OdysseyTwoOdysseyTwo
    Reactions: 2,750
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    "Booster" skills are by far the hardest active skills to convert them into passive skills. One could suggest turning them outright into passive skills, by having the first 9 levels say +1 Attack Speed stage, and then level 10 would increase it to +2. But having the first 9 levels do the same thing, before level 10 finally changes something makes this awkward to me (in b4 Shade's Spirit Bond 2). But I have a cleaner method, with the help of 2 pieces of evidence.

1. Zero's Long Sword/Heavy Sword Mastery and Demon Avenger's Overwhelming Power
    Zero doesn't have a "Booster" skill, but instead, their "Mastery" skills passively give Attack Speed, let alone more than 1 stage. While Demon Avenger's Overwhelming Power was originally an active buff skill that gives Attack Speed and then converted into a passive skill in the Heroes of Maple update. So using the first piece of evidence, we could suggest transferring the "Booster" skills' Attack Speed to mainly "Weapon Mastery" and "Weapon Expert" skills as well as some other passive skills as substitutes for some classes that have their "Weapon Expert" skills being atypical. The problem is, this would mean having to put the "Booster" skills' Skill Points elsewhere, which is especially problematic for classes that get their "Booster" skills in their 1st Job. Which brings us to the second piece of evidence.

2. Kaiser's Blaze On and Blaze Wizard's Word of Fire
    Blaze On and Word of Fire are the "Booster" skills of Kaiser and Blaze Wizard respectively, but unlike all other "Booster" skills, Blaze On and Word of Fire also give Weapon Attack and Magic Attack respectively. So what you ask? Using Blaze On and Word of Fire as inspiration, what I'm suggesting is replacing all "Booster" skills with the new "Arms Training" for non-Mages and "Reflex Training" for Mages. These skills would passively give +1 Attack Speed stage as well as a little bit of Weapon/Magic Attack, while the 1 remaining Attack Speed stage, if there is any, would have to be put in either their "Weapon Mastery" or "Weapon Expert" skills. In the case of Shade, his Spirit Bond 2 would have a little bit of Weapon Attack added, since Shade doesn't have a "Booster" skill and instead has Spirit Bond 2 as compromise. This would solve the problem of SP reorganization caused by the removal of "Booster" skills. The problem is, this would create a little bit of power creep in the game.

So what do you think?
    DarkPassenger
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    Two more possible solutions to the SP reallocation issue:

1. Could make the skill give a useless stat like def (more of it with each level), or a useful stat like movement speed (makes more sense to link the speeds together, but it would probably need to be taken out of whatever skill gives it now), to justify it having 10 levels.

2. Could merge it with mastery, and have the joint skill have 20 levels (with the mastery increasing more slowly per level, of course).
  • OdysseyTwoOdysseyTwo
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    AKradian wrote: »
    Could merge it with mastery, and have the joint skill have 20 levels (with the mastery increasing more slowly per level, of course).

Oh yeah, I forgot that "Mastery" skills used to have a max level of 20. But there's the problem of some classes having their "Booster" skill in their 1st Job.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    OdysseyTwo wrote: »
    Could merge it with mastery, and have the joint skill have 20 levels (with the mastery increasing more slowly per level, of course).

Oh yeah, I forgot that "Mastery" skills used to have a max level of 20. But there's the problem of some classes having their "Booster" skill in their 1st Job.

Then the "def" solution could work for them.
  • OdysseyTwoOdysseyTwo
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017

So let me get this straight. What you're suggesting is merge "Mastery" and "Booster" skills' SP together into a single skill, but if a class has his/her "Booster" skill in 1st Job, instead add some other stat so that the first 9/14/19 levels would no longer be identical? Although having said that, Angelic Buster would already be all set, because her booster passively gives max HP.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017

So let me get this straight. What you're suggesting is merge "Mastery" and "Booster" skills' SP together into a single skill, but if a class has his/her "Booster" skill in 1st Job, instead add some other stat so that the first 9/14/19 levels would no longer be identical? Although having said that, Angelic Buster would already be all set, because her booster passively gives max HP.

Yes.
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited May 2017
    Doesnt take a second to cast booster, just have it on a separate key. They may have to re- evaluate all skills not just booster in order to change booster. reverse engineer if i may call it that
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    Doesnt take a second to cast booster, just have it on a separate key. They may have to re- evaluate all skills not just booster in order to change booster. reverse engineer if i may call it that

The thing is, as I wrote in the opening post, they changed all other buffs that don't have a cooldown and aren't party buffs to be passive (or toggles, if there are situations in which the player might not want the buff to be active). Nexon itself decided there's no point in forcing people to press the button every 2-3 minutes, for a buff that can have 100% uptime anyway. They don't need to "re-evaluate" all skills. As OdysseyTwo and I worked out above, Booster itself, or Booster and Mastery, are the only ones that need changing.
    edited May 2017

The thing is, as I wrote in the opening post, they changed all other buffs that don't have a cooldown and aren't party buffs to be passive (or toggles, if there are situations in which the player might not want the buff to be active). Nexon itself decided there's no point in forcing people to press the button every 2-3 minutes, for a buff that can have 100% uptime anyway. They don't need to "re-evaluate" all skills. As OdysseyTwo and I worked out above, Booster itself, or Booster and Mastery, are the only ones that need changing.

Booster has little cast delay, thats a main reason they changed other skills to passive, the cast delay.
  • OdysseyTwoOdysseyTwo
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017

Booster has little cast delay, thats a main reason they changed other skills to passive, the cast delay.

That's not the only reason why other buffs were turned into passive skills. Another reason is Ursus.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017

No, because some other skills had their cast delay reduced or removed. But everything that could become passive and not need to be cast at all, was. Or almost everything.
    edited May 2017
    Skilla like dark clarity, dark harmony, thorns etc have significant cast delay. Maple warrior was the only one they reduced cast delay and didnt become passive. Some skills still have cast delays and havent been made passive. The booster skills I would see becoming passive would be the ones that are non explorer, they have more animation than explorer booster skills.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    Skilla like dark clarity, dark harmony, thorns etc have significant cast delay. Maple warrior was the only one they reduced cast delay and didnt become passive. Some skills still have cast delays and havent been made passive. The booster skills I would see becoming passive would be the ones that are non explorer, they have more animation than explorer booster skills.

How would it hurt to make explorer booster skills passive as well?
    Yes, they're easy to cast, but what's the importance of having to cast them, at all? Save everyone the key assignment, the periodic keypress, the choice at Ursus.
  • OdysseyTwoOdysseyTwo
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    Maple warrior was the only one they reduced cast delay and didnt become passive.

Also, you do know Maple Warrior is a party buff, right?
  • PerceptivityPerceptivity
    Reactions: 2,820
    edited May 2017
    +1 on making the booster into a passive skill
    edited May 2017
    Maple warrior was the only one they reduced cast delay and didnt become passive.

I'm aware, thanks for that info. why mention this? we're talking about cast delays on skills and passive skills. They didnt make maple warrior passive because it's a party skill, but everyone gets maple warrior type skill.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017

I'm aware, thanks for that info. why?

Because no party buffs were made passive.
    edited May 2017

How would it hurt to make explorer booster skills passive as well?
    Yes, they're easy to cast, but what's the importance of having to cast them, at all? Save everyone the key assignment, the periodic keypress, the choice at Ursus.

there are some instances where you dont want a buff turned on or casted.
    edited May 2017

I'm aware, thanks for that info. why?

Because no party buffs were made passive.

ok? but it did have a cast delay, which they reduced.