[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.253 - MapleStory x BUGCAT CAPOO Patch Note Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Really...

TheHoATheHoA
Reactions: 2,210
edited October 2016 in General Chat
They can have an unscheduled maintenance to break MMF, but not one to fix it? *sigh* NEXON!!!

Comments

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,340
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2016
    Maintenances don't fix bugs. They install fixes that were created (and supposedly tested) before, while the servers were running.
    Going by SavageAce's announcement, the devs are still working on a fix for MMF. No point taking the servers down before they have one ready.
    NiightseekerJettLuvsU
  • JorjaxJorjax
    Reactions: 865
    edited October 2016
    Are they even planning to extend the event? or at least Compensation?

I don't see the reason to run this event if we keep getting locked out during the duration of the event.

ZeldaOfHyrule
  • XeraphimXeraphim
    Reactions: 1,480
    edited October 2016
    I have a quote for you.

bumbertyr
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2016
    Deathmobs
    Deathmobs said:

AKradian
    AKradian said:

Maintenances don't fix bugs. They install fixes that were created (and supposedly tested) before, while the servers were running.
    Going by SavageAce's announcement, the devs are still working on a fix for MMF. No point taking the servers down before they have one ready.
    Do you work for Nexon?
    No.
    Which is why all I know is what SavageAce told us: "Please bear with us as we work with our developers to figure out the cause and resolve the issue."
  • bumbertyrbumbertyr
    Reactions: 6,610
    Nexon
    edited March 2017
    -removed-
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2016
    Deathmobs
    Deathmobs said:

AKradian
    AKradian said:

Deathmobs
    Deathmobs said:

AKradian
    AKradian said:

Do you work for Nexon?
    No.
    Which is why all I know is what SavageAce told us: "Please bear with us as we work with our developers to figure out the cause and resolve the issue."
    I meant the bit about how "maintenances don't fix bugs"... how do you know that? Did Nexon say that somewhere?
    No, that's how software development works everywhere:
    You don't take the live/production server down and code your fixes directly on it.
    That's what a development environment is for.
    The programmers code on separate computers dedicated to development. They compile, test-run, edit, compile, test-run again, over and over until they're satisfied that the program is working as intended.
    Then, they pass the program on to QA to test in a mock-up of the live servers (a.k.a "test server"), and they test it, and send it back if it's not doing what it's supposed to.
    While all this is going on, the users are using the previous version of the program.
    Once QA is happy, an update of the live servers is scheduled. It could be as part of an already scheduled maintenance, or it might justify its own downtime. Either way, when the servers are taken down, the new version of the program is copied to them, QA test that it works in the live environment as it did in the test system, and the servers are brought back up.

(Personally I'm not certain Nexon does all the testing described above... But they definitely don't edit C++ code on the live servers. That code doesn't even exist there. Only the compiled programs.)

Bottom line, as I said before: no point taking the servers down for an unscheduled maintenance before the developers have found the bug and coded a fix for it.
    AggraphineGimogamechanger
  • TheHoATheHoA
    Reactions: 2,210
    edited October 2016
    I'm actually impressed that they managed to fix this bug while the servers were still active.