[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Closed

Poll: Anti-AFK mobs

AKradianAKradian
Reactions: 38,780
Posts: 5,830
Volunteer Forum Moderator, Private Tester
edited February 2018 in General Chat
It's been almost a year since Anti-AFK mobs were added to level 200+ areas of the game. They are the flying monsters that spawn every 5 minutes or so, and if they touch you they inflict potion-lock and hit you for 10% of your HP. They currently spawn at Arcane River, Dark World Tree, and the Black Heaven maps of Scrapyard.

I am curious to know what people think of this mechanism.
(Disclaimer: this is my own personal curiosity, not representing Nexon in any way).

Feel free to make posts elaborating on your opinion.
Invulgocarmenpop22
  1. What do you think of Anti-AFK mobs?67 votes
    1. They are a great addition to the game, and should be added to more areas. (please elaborate)
       3% (2 votes)
    2. They are fine as they are.
       10% (7 votes)
    3. They should be weakened, removed from some areas, or their spawn logic changed. (please elaborate)
       25% (17 votes)
    4. They should be completely removed from the game.
       61% (41 votes)

Comments

  • TheOutlanderTheOutlander
    Reactions: 1,230
    Posts: 83
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2018
    I wouldn't consider these mobs a problem if they had a spawn logic similar to runes where they only start spawning if a Mapler starts training in a map and they don't show up if otherwise. As they are now, if for any reason you D/C from the game (a very rare happening these days right?) when you log back in, the Sunday Perk and Maple News ads prevent movement letting these monsters get a free hit because they ignore avoidability as far as I'm concerned. The hefty 10% HP dmg combined with the potion-lock and strong monster attacks have led to me dying in multiple occasions where I could have reached safety in a similar situation. I know I voted 4. in your poll, but thinking about it as I type, I should have voted 3.

    Edit: Now that I think about, these mobs could have been useful back when party-play zones such as LHC, SDH and others were still relevant. But admittedly this thought bubble right here is me just being salty about the toxic nature of the players who frequented those maps.
    YinYangXRennicarmenpop22
  • ArlongArlong
    Reactions: 4,635
    Posts: 423
    Member
    edited February 2018
    oh so that's what they are. I found them pretty annoying. In that case they should stay and they should also have an anti bot thing. we used to have them like deet and roi but i forgot how they worked
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,935
    Posts: 2,669
    Member
    edited February 2018
    If the purpose is really for anti-afk, they should only be in maps in which you can afk in. From what I've noticed at least in Vanishing and Chu Chu, those areas have no place to afk in.
  • PhantomMasterThiefPhantomMasterThief
    Reactions: 3,190
    Posts: 480
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2018
    If the purpose is really for anti-afk, they should only be in maps in which you can afk in. From what I've noticed at least in Vanishing and Chu Chu, those areas have no place to afk in.

    These mobs were designed for KMS, to stop map ownerships. (That's a thing in KMS, these mobs were not designed to stop botters, because kms doesn't have those or a very minimal amount.)

    if let's say, a player AFK's in that map for 30 - 40min and does nothing then the mob is supposed to kill him, because KS stealing in kms can result in a ban, temp or a perm one. (they can use a lie detector, or even report to a player GM)

    this serve no purpose in gms, other then just to annoy legit players, as it was not meant to stop the botters nor does it bother them.

    i say we should get rid of it so if let's say, a player needs to use the bathroom for 5 min, he won't get killed and his exp lost.

    TL;DR : These mobs were designed to stop kms players from hogging maps, and are not good for gms in any way shape or form, remove them please.
    ArgentSlicedTimeManiOhRenniTachikawaHiyokocarmenpop22
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,935
    Posts: 2,669
    Member
    edited February 2018
    If the purpose is really for anti-afk, they should only be in maps in which you can afk in. From what I've noticed at least in Vanishing and Chu Chu, those areas have no place to afk in.

    These mobs were designed for KMS, to stop map ownerships. (That's a thing in KMS, these mobs were not designed to stop botters, because kms doesn't have those or a very minimal amount.)

    if let's say, a player AFK's in that map for 30 - 40min and does nothing then the mob is supposed to kill him, because KS stealing in kms can result in a ban, temp or a perm one. (they can use a lie detector, or even report to a player GM)

    this serve no purpose in gms, other then just to annoy legit players, as it was not meant to stop the botters nor does it bother them.

    i say we should get rid of it so if let's say, a player needs to use the bathroom for 5 min, he won't get killed and his exp lost.

    TL;DR : These mobs were designed to stop kms players from hogging maps, and are not good for gms in any way shape or form, remove them please.

    what I'm saying is, say tranquil erdas map, there's no platform to afk in, so these mobs aren't needed there, you know?
  • DarkZettaDarkZetta
    Reactions: 1,215
    Posts: 68
    Member
    edited February 2018
    what I'm saying is, say tranquil erdas map, there's no platform to afk in, so these mobs aren't needed there, you know?

    Until you get high enough Arcane Force to the point where you only take1 damage from the monsters, which I believe is 1.5x the amount of AF needed to do so.
  • LolaBunnyLolaBunny
    Reactions: 2,785
    Posts: 301
    Volunteer Forum Moderator, Private Tester
    edited February 2018
    Arlong wrote: »
    oh so that's what they are. I found them pretty annoying. In that case they should stay and they should also have an anti bot thing. we used to have them like deet and roi but i forgot how they worked

    Certain area bosses were designed to send a player back to town if they came in contact with it. Security Camera was one of those bosses that had the ability to do so in the past.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 38,780
    Posts: 5,830
    Volunteer Forum Moderator, Private Tester
    edited February 2018
    DarkZetta wrote: »
    what I'm saying is, say tranquil erdas map, there's no platform to afk in, so these mobs aren't needed there, you know?

    Until you get high enough Arcane Force to the point where you only take1 damage from the monsters, which I believe is 1.5x the amount of AF needed to do so.

    Indeed.
    Or have pet Auto-HP.
    That is why the anti-AFK mobs potion-lock you: so your pet can't keep you alive while you're AFK.
  • KushyDragonKushyDragon
    Reactions: 1,415
    Posts: 134
    Member
    edited February 2018
    They should be completely removed from the game.

    Mainly because botters will hack and use god mode, etc.

    Thus making the anti-afk mobs useless against them, but they sure as hell annoy the rest of us overall.
  • ManiOhManiOh
    Reactions: 1,955
    Posts: 218
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2018
    i agree no use of this mobs....
    just annoying
    if you dc while grind when you log back in till you close all nib msg count yourself dead and lost exp if you dont have enough charms


  • PetalmagicPetalmagic
    Reactions: 7,660
    Posts: 1,572
    Member
    edited February 2018
    anti-afk mobs...aka bane of my Illium.
  • AaronHuskyAaronHusky
    Reactions: 2,210
    Posts: 156
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2018
    I have no problems killing them, but they're a very big nuisance. I'd like them to either be removed from GMS (KMS can keep them), or have their anti-pot effect removed.
  • RexaarRexaar
    Reactions: 2,835
    Posts: 714
    Member
    edited February 2018
    One of the problem is that they they murder people who doesn't load into the map quick enough when they switch map, change channel, or log in, by making squishy class extremely vulnerable to other monster in the map upon getting potion lock.

    There should be a 10 second immunity (or make it so the afk mob cannot aggro onto someone that has not been in the map for at least 10 seconds) from the afk mob upon switching map, changing channel, or when logging in.

    Or change it so the anti-afk mob auto-die after 1 minute, so if the map is unoccupied for more than 1 minute and someone enter it, the anti-afk mob would instantly die for being alive for more than 60 seconds.

    Or change it so the anti-afk mob doesn't deal damage and potion lock, but cast a short range stackable uncurable debuff (4 second cooldown, last 10 seconds, duration refreshes if stacked) that instantly kill you if it reaches 5 stack
    TachikawaHiyokocarmenpop22
  • LolaBunnyLolaBunny
    Reactions: 2,785
    Posts: 301
    Volunteer Forum Moderator, Private Tester
    edited February 2018
    Rexaar wrote: »
    One of the problem is that they they murder people who doesn't load into the map quick enough when they switch map, change channel, or log in, by making squishy class extremely vulnerable to other monster in the map upon getting potion lock.

    There should be a 10 second immunity (or make it so the afk mob cannot aggro onto someone that has not been in the map for at least 10 seconds) from the afk mob upon switching map, changing channel, or when logging in.

    Or change it so the anti-afk mob auto-die after 1 minute, so if the map is unoccupied for more than 1 minute and someone enter it, the anti-afk mob would instantly die for being alive for more than 60 seconds.

    Or change it so the anti-afk mob doesn't deal damage and potion lock, but cast a short range stackable uncurable debuff (4 second cooldown, last 10 seconds, duration refreshes if stacked) that instantly kill you if it reaches 5 stack

    Some of these ideas are pretty good. Changing them up a bit would be great. Immunity when loading a map would actually benefit majority of people who would have bad loading times which is a good thing as I don’t see why the flying mobs have ability to hit you while loading.
  • ManiOhManiOh
    Reactions: 1,955
    Posts: 218
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2018
    Rheariel wrote: »
    Rexaar wrote: »
    One of the problem is that they they murder people who doesn't load into the map quick enough when they switch map, change channel, or log in, by making squishy class extremely vulnerable to other monster in the map upon getting potion lock.

    There should be a 10 second immunity (or make it so the afk mob cannot aggro onto someone that has not been in the map for at least 10 seconds) from the afk mob upon switching map, changing channel, or when logging in.

    Or change it so the anti-afk mob auto-die after 1 minute, so if the map is unoccupied for more than 1 minute and someone enter it, the anti-afk mob would instantly die for being alive for more than 60 seconds.

    Or change it so the anti-afk mob doesn't deal damage and potion lock, but cast a short range stackable uncurable debuff (4 second cooldown, last 10 seconds, duration refreshes if stacked) that instantly kill you if it reaches 5 stack

    Some of these ideas are pretty good. Changing them up a bit would be great. Immunity when loading a map would actually benefit majority of people who would have bad loading times which is a good thing as I don’t see why the flying mobs have ability to hit you while loading.

    they should come after true xx time period of not being activ on the map (attacking or moveing)
    not quick as enter new map or login

    for some class with low HP small lag spike that can happend while load new map = dead
  • LostxLostx
    Reactions: 1,255
    Posts: 29
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2018
    Their original designation for existing was to stop players from AFK claiming a map (was a common problem in KMS). As such it kind of helps in that regards in GMS except for the majority of people doing it now use a Snowflake/Sun chair which lifts their hit box from the normal position which is where their AI is designated to hit meaning they will not be hit by them and still AFK claim a map. This becomes a huge problem nearing 2x or later in the day for very popular maps. Perhaps give them a short delay before spawning into a map, say 15-30 seconds? Either increase their hit box, remove the Snowflake chair or Sun's elevated hit box, or have their AI be able to path up and knock players out of said chair or give the mobs an AOE skill that will knock even sun chair users out (respawns with said skill on CD, 20-30 seconds between use? This way active farmers won't be so hurt by the change)
  • SorrowSorrow
    Reactions: 2,495
    Posts: 286
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2018
    Remove the potion lock, it achieves its purpose by dealing 10% HP damage already.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 38,780
    Posts: 5,830
    Volunteer Forum Moderator, Private Tester
    edited February 2018
    Sorrow wrote: »
    Remove the potion lock, it achieves its purpose by dealing 10% HP damage already.

    It doesn't, because if you have pet auto-HP you can still AFK and your pet will heal you.
  • YinYangXYinYangX
    Reactions: 3,535
    Posts: 1,279
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2018
    If the purpose is really for anti-afk, they should only be in maps in which you can afk in. From what I've noticed at least in Vanishing and Chu Chu, those areas have no place to afk in.

    Not sure if someone has already probably answered this, but aren't there ropes you can hang from that takes you out of the range of the mobs on most maps?
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,935
    Posts: 2,669
    Member
    edited February 2018
    YinYangX wrote: »
    If the purpose is really for anti-afk, they should only be in maps in which you can afk in. From what I've noticed at least in Vanishing and Chu Chu, those areas have no place to afk in.

    Not sure if someone has already probably answered this, but aren't there ropes you can hang from that takes you out of the range of the mobs on most maps?

    In vanishing journey and Chu Chu island, there's none. the hit box for those mobs reach you on a rope. Other maps, I can't say.

    Dark world tree might have a few areas in which you can hang about and not get hit, also scrap yard in the lower areas.

    The pineapple deer map in chu chu has a spot to afk in but no one uses that map.
This discussion has been closed.