[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.250 - Mayple Island Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

My Humble Opinion on Kerning Tower

AK712AK712
Reactions: 1,840
edited March 2017 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
I'd like to thank Nexon for all of the hard work on the new Kerning Tower. I've played through some of it and it's a lot of fun. The monsters are cool, the art is amazing, and the music is really good. I would be happy if it was left this way. But I think that there are other ways that could possibly make it better.

Firstly, there is the issue of the Crusader Codex. Since Kerning Tower is replacing Kerning Square, there is no longer any way to get the set anymore, or the cards or familiars. Now, there are a few things that could be done.

1) The new monsters could replace the old monsters. The Kerning Square set would become the Kerning Tower set, and all of the monsters from the old set would be deleted, and the new ones added.

2) Kerning Tower could be added as a separate set. The old Kerning Square set would remain, but be impossible to get now.

3) Kerning Square could be fully added, monsters and all, to the "flashback" in the pre-quest of Kerning Tower. There's currently two of the old maps with the old monsters (albeit with different levels and drops), so similar to that, but with the entire tower. The old quests would not have to come back, and the NPCs would not have to have any new quests, but they could still be there. Although the current "old" maps show up on the map, they would not have to, instead it'd just be so they "can not be seen on the World Map". No changes would then have to be made to the Crusader Codex.

There's also the issue of the level difference. Having a level 140 dungeon in the middle of a level 40-50 city seems a bit odd. I would recommend changing the levels of the monsters to be similar to the old Kerning Square, to match its surroundings.

Of course, there is no need to make any changes. But I still feel like making changes might make it better.

Comments

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,340
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    The level does not need to be changed.
    Kerning Tower is not "in the middle of" Kerning City, any more than Root Abyss or Corrupted World Tree are "in the middle of" Sleepywood. Or Scrapyard is "in the middle of" Edelstein. They're just accessible from those low-level towns, but the way you travel there makes it clear that you're entering a whole new area.
    We certainly don't need any more level 40 areas.

As for the Codex, the whole thing is a mess of unobtainable cards and sets on the one hand, and many new monsters that don't drop cards on the other hand. Solving the Kerning Square set's problem should come as a part of solving all of the Codex's problems, not something specific.
    BooberpuppyCatoooloooSlicedTimePirateIzzyIvangoldUserRed
  • AK712AK712
    Reactions: 1,840
    edited March 2017
    AKradian wrote: »
    Kerning Tower is not "in the middle of" Kerning City, any more than Root Abyss or Corrupted World Tree are "in the middle of" Sleepywood. Or Scrapyard is "in the middle of" Edelstein. They're just accessible from those low-level towns, but the way you travel there makes it clear that you're entering a whole new area.

As for the Codex, the whole thing is a mess of unobtainable cards and sets on the one hand, and many new monsters that don't drop cards on the other hand. Solving the Kerning Square set's problem should come as a part of solving all of the Codex's problems, not something specific.

...And then there's the prideful "this-isn't-an-opinion-it's-the-way-it-should-be" opinions...
    In case you haven't checked recently... there are two. TWO. Which is less than or equal to every other level range in the game. Just check the Maple Guide. So that argument is invalid.
    I agree somewhat, but recently, the Monster Codex has been updated to include cards from Twilight Perion and Dark World Tree, so it's clear they are continuing to update it, despite them not dropping. It's a mess, but they're trying to get a handle on it, and what I suggested would be part of the larger solution. After all, you can't fix it if you don't have the monsters that are in there anymore.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,340
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    AK712 wrote: »

...And then there's the prideful "this-isn't-an-opinion-it's-the-way-it-should-be" opinions...
    In case you haven't checked recently... there are two. TWO. Which is less than or equal to every other level range in the game. Just check the Maple Guide. So that argument is invalid.

There are two and neither one is ever used, because people go directly from Ellinel Academy to Gold Beach to Rienna Strait. What would be the point of another theme dungeon that never gets visited?
    The 140-160 level range IS pretty slow and could use a story dungeon to break up the monotony of grinding.
    AK712 wrote: »
    I agree somewhat, but recently, the Monster Codex has been updated to include cards from Twilight Perion and Dark World Tree, so it's clear they are continuing to update it, despite them not dropping. It's a mess, but they're trying to get a handle on it, and what I suggested would be part of the larger solution. After all, you can't fix it if you don't have the monsters that are in there anymore.

Screenshot, please?
    As far as I know, it's the Monster Collection, not the Crusader Codex, that got those areas added.
  • PirateIzzyPirateIzzy
    Reactions: 5,265
    edited March 2017
    Screenshot, please?
    As far as I know, it's the Monster Collection, not the Crusader Codex, that got those areas added.

He's partially correct. The mobs have cards in the Codex (some of them anyway), but there aren't any sets. Twilight Perion was added when a huge influx of cards was added in Unleashed, but none of those new cards drop. The DWT cards don't drop either, and were added in the HoM update:
    Book1_zpss9dkauw1.jpg
    Book2_zps3jvtdckq.jpg

As for this thread, I think the level range is fine the way it is. Dark World Tree is even higher level and is still on Victoria Island, and I don't think it particularly matters. I do think the codex should remove outdated sets, though. Then again, the codex needs an overhaul, but that's a topic I have for another time.

I don't even think the old Kerning Square was necessarily in terms of the (awfully written) story anyway, so I don't know why Donxon kept it, maybe for nostalgia? But even then, they don't need to re-add the entire area.
  • IvangoldIvangold
    Reactions: 2,985
    edited March 2017
    They could make the old story playable after you do the today's Kerning Square, so you can see the storyline if you want(maybe even get the old medal).