[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts
Closed

Adding gay marriage

Comments

• DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited July 2017
    AKradian wrote: »
    Xenomata wrote: »
    Xenomata wrote: »
    What's Korea's stance on LGBT relationships anyways?
    Not saying I concur or object, but I highly doubt Nexon America would make the change before any other Maple servers.

Korea doesn't approve of them, but another Nexon game, Mabinogi, has same-gender marriages.

Mmm... yeah I still doubt we'd ever get such a change before other MS servers.
    It just seems so not-important a change to implement. We don't get that much outcry for LGBT marriage in the game (hell, we don't even get any outcry for transgender characters), and Marriage in the first place doesn't have that big an impact in the game. So unless we were to get an update that happened to include such a change, it seems doubtful we would ever get it.
    I mean, when was the last time Nexon America implemented a change that had huge consequences or a big impact?

Our entire wedding system (Amoria) was GMS-exclusive to begin with.

Anyway, it's all a question of money.
    The technical change is not that big or complex.
    If they think they'd make more money off gays buying wedding tickets than they'd lose from homophobes quitting (or forbidding their children to play), they'll add the option. Otherwise, they won't.
    I believe that un-censoring LGBT terms in the in-game chat was a good first step, especially since it met with no objection from the dreaded "Christian parents."

youre making a logical mistake lumping objections off as homophobia or "christian" views. that almost backs up the people that make decisions into a wall, to the point they wont have to even think about making a decision and will have to make the decision for fear that people will think of the company as homophobic or christian if they decide not to do it.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    People want this game to be too much like real life.

to say objections come only from christian parents is rather dumb for there arent only christians that would oppose this. I dont oppose this because of any religious perspective, it is more about propaganda.

whats next, will we have to disclose sexuality when we create an account with any nexon game? will that be the next suggestion? schools do it, so why not creating video game accounts.

"propaganda" for what?

And I honestly don't see how you make the leap into "have to disclose sexuality when we create an account".
    youre making a logical mistake lumping objections off as homophobia or "christian" views. that almost backs up the people that make decisions into a wall, to the point they wont have to even think about making a decision and will have to make the decision for fear that people will think of the company as homophobic or christian if they decide not to do it.

The company already publishes a game with same-gender marriage.
    I'm not saying the company would be Christian or homophobic to not implement it in Maplestory. The company just does what they think will make money.
    I'm saying that people who would quit playing (or forbid their children to play) the game just because other people can do certain content on same-"gender" characters, are either religious or homophobic. And probably hypocritical as well: here we have a game that glorifies stealing (in the person of Phantom, if not the rest of the thieves and pirates) and idolatry (the various goddesses, summoned demons and spirits) even to the point of Black Magic (have you taken a look at BaM's skills lately?), but the one thing these people can't possibly tolerate (or allow their children to be exposed to) is a boy marrying a boy? Really?

But anyway, these people are who they are, and it's up to Nexon to decide whether they outnumber the people who want to get married in-game on same-gender characters.
  • BluejeansBluejeans
    Reactions: 2,130
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017

to say objections come only from christian parents is rather dumb for there arent only christians that would oppose this. I dont oppose this because of any religious perspective, it is more about propaganda.

whats next, will we have to disclose sexuality when we create an account with any nexon game? will that be the next suggestion? schools do it, so why not creating video game accounts.

zzzzz

I find it incomprehensible that people actually oppose this. It wouldn't really affect anyone negatively and as the user Rolls previously stated, this wouldn't cause a backlash. Instead, it would generate more money for Nexon as it would result in more marriages. Friends would probably marry each other "for fun".
    edited July 2017

"propaganda" for what?

And I honestly don't see how you make the leap into "have to disclose sexuality when we create an account".

The company already publishes a game with same-gender marriage.
    I'm not saying the company would be Christian or homophobic to not implement it in Maplestory. The company just does what they think will make money.
    I'm saying that people who would quit playing (or forbid their children to play) the game just because other people can do certain content on same-"gender" characters, are either religious or homophobic. And probably hypocritical as well: here we have a game that glorifies stealing (in the person of Phantom, if not the rest of the thieves and pirates) and idolatry (the various goddesses, summoned demons and spirits) even to the point of Black Magic (have you taken a look at BaM's skills lately?), but the one thing these people can't possibly tolerate (or allow their children to be exposed to) is a boy marrying a boy? Really?

But anyway, these people are who they are, and it's up to Nexon to decide whether they outnumber the people who want to get married in-game on same-gender characters.

youre trying to compare the classes to the marriage mechanic, so youre going to tell me kids are going to be like " look im going to grab a cane and shoot cards out of no where" the phantom storyline was about theft yes, but he didnt steal the skaia, he fell in love with aria. The day I can find the weapons they use in maplestory and find the store they sell the formulas to have their powers and skills will be the day I say the classes are propaganda.

I mention propaganda, not because nexon will directly say " be gay etc" but because of the player base. In reboot there are already smegas with idiotic things about why homosexuality is better than not.

the keywords are boy and children, why would anyone ever try to expose children to concept of sexuality. they havent even gotten their balls yet to even know what would arouse them. And they shouldnt have to be exposed to it from a video game. to bring the classes into this is a reach or grasp at straws. The two dont compare in any way. girls already have an understanding about this kind of stuff so I dont mention them and theres a higher 5%of boys to girls ratio that play this game in terms of kids or even adults.

I live in California so Im used to gay people around, most of the people in California are gay openly or secretly. What Im against is that if this is a kid's game, there shouldnt even be talk about this, it's not healthy for kids to be thinkingabout this kind of stuff at a young age, especially to be talking about tolerance, they should respect but not always have to tolerate. To have to tolerate, it means it gives the power to others to do what they want while the rest have to "tolerate".

And quite honestly, it isnt fair that voices of opposition are dismissed as lack of tolerance or homophobic. While voices that agree are taken into account.

If it is about money, how much do tickets cost around 19$ +-
    In reboot is mesos. How many gay people play in normal servers still that want to get married, and marriage is a one time thing. There wouldnt be a large margin of profit made from gay people and same sex marriage in maplestory. The numbers will just increase briefly then restabilize.
    edited July 2017
    Another thing is that to make changes to anything related to the official or original game, the licensee has to relay the proposed changes to the company that theyre licensing from. It is most likely in the contract that they discuss any changes made or any exclusive content that GMS server will implement.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    @DarkPassenger,

Who said anything about sexuality?

When a "boy" character marries a "girl" character in game (or a prince marries a princess in a fairy tale) is anything ever mentioned about sex?
    No. It's all love. They love each other and want to be together forever.
    Why is it different if it's two "boy" characters?
    What would it be telling innocent children, that is unfit for them to know?
    edited July 2017
    @DarkPassenger,

When a "boy" character marries a "girl" character in game (or a prince marries a princess in a fairy tale) is anything ever mentioned about sex?

uh sexuality is the term used in real life "whats your sexuality" "oh i like girls" same as sexual orientation.
    why would we have to say anything, theyre here to play a game not to get married.

and unless couples in real life get married in game whether it be gay couples or hetero, it's all for fun in game. theres no way you can pull the love card on this if youre going to say you can fall in love from a video game. thats illogical.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    @DarkPassenger,

uh sexuality is the term used in real life "whats your sexuality" "oh i like girls" same as sexual orientation.
    why would we have to say anything, theyre here to play a game not to get married.

So again, what's the problem with innocent children seeing a boy-char marry another boy-char in-game?
    What does it expose them to?
    edited July 2017
    @DarkPassenger,

So again, what's the problem with innocent children seeing a boy-char marry another boy-char in-game?
    What does it expose them to?

it will expose them to the player base acting like idiots, kids playing might not even comprehend whats going on seeing two igns saying theyre getting married, at least I hope they dont comprehend yet, what Im getting at is there will be an increase in smegas about homosexuality being better than not, and other idiotic things. Like i said, the propaganda wont come from nexon, it would come from the player base. I wouldnt want kids readin "it's ok to be gay" thats not something they should be thinking about right now, it also implies choice but also influence. Kid's have to first learn judgment and reasoning before being exposed to things like that.

Ive said it initially, games like this should be far away form reality as they could. I dont play this game and think "you know what I really want to see here a driving test and licenses. Why cant i get a masters degree in maplestory"

all this gender identity stuff thats recently exploded around the country shouldnt even be discussed in game or forums of the game. I dont play combat arms and say, we should ban guns because theres been school shootings. and I believe thats the basis for all these suggestions, being masked by other reasons. but the correlation is there because of what goes on around the states and the world. theres no politics involved in these types of games. and it's absurd to want to introduce them to it.
  • XenomataXenomata
    Reactions: 2,595
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    Just like to chime in again, half the time I can't even tell if a (obviously decked out in Royal/All Star hairstyles and looks) boy is a girl, and some girl looks go for more of a tomboyish, if not downright boy-looking, style. Some CS equips that are quite obviously dresses can still be worn by men, as can obviously masculine outfits on girls.

That's not because Nexon supports gender identity, it's because the CS items don't have gender locks on them. There are still CS Items being released now that do have gender locks on them, even if they are the most gender-neutral items in the game.

Won't say I pick a side again, but apparently gender doesn't even really matter when the manliest looking of men can wear, and as a result look like, the female character Orchid, or a pink kimono and a long-haired wig that confuses the gender completely. A female character can look like a man just by wearing the right clothes and hair. That's the power of being a very anime game.

The real question is, does that make a difference to you? Does it support or go against your views of if LGBT marriage belongs in an MMORPG where everyone looks like 5 different special snowflakes and one Card Battle anime? It's still up to you, interpret what I say as you will. Just remember, I don't give a crap, single 4 lyfe.
    SlicedTime
  • RollsRolls
    Reactions: 3,220
    edited July 2017
    Propaganda

You're looking way too far into this. Why don't we just get rid of marriage completely since "kids wouldn't be able to comprehend it"? While we're at it, let's remove mechanically complicated classes or difficult bosses, because they wouldn't be able to comprehend that either. Let's also dumb down the text and story so children can understand it too. And after that, let's get rid of scrolls, cubes and other methods of enhancement, because these children don't have the "judgement and reasoning" for that yet.

What's wrong with showing a "child" gay marriage? "Propaganda"
    What about it is propaganda? "Propaganda" "Some people don't like it and the people that do are stupid and people will be stupid if it happens"
    So what else do you have a problem with? "Propaganda" "This is politics and it should not be in a game"

I'll have to say, being in California myself, I know propaganda when I see it, and this game is one of the furthest things from it I have ever seen. It is as neutral and politically devoid as it can possibly be, and that's an achievement in its own way. The only one trying to controversialise this is you.
    Logna
  • HoneyWaterHoneyWater
    Reactions: 2,245
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    Hmm this topic is getting really serious o_o, and it's just because someone wanted to add Same sex Marriage, like other game has Same sex Marriage, and i don't see them getting so much hate. Other than Religion i wonder if there's an ACTUAL good reason why they shouldn't add it. The game is known for customization as in designing your own character, and also nexon even made a trailer that made me die from cringe because idk love is cringy e_e https://youtube.com/watch?v=Ck7fJ2PRhFQ

a little piece of me die everytime i watch it . _.

"Opinions
    - Opinions are welcomed. However, we do expect you to respect the opinions of others, even if you do not agree with them.
    - Do not use conflicts you have with others forum members as discussion points.
    - If you have an opinion to share about Nexon games and its services, please post it constructively."
    This is from the code of Conduct from the Forum rules, IT would be NICE if some people could respect this person's opinion for wanting a same sex marriage
    (You know who u people are)
    It would also be great if Religion wasn't part of this.... Everyone has difference belief, and this is Nexon AMERICA freedom of Religion should also be noted** (i'm saying this to all the people that commented about how it goes against religion or whatever)

• RollsRolls
    Reactions: 3,220
    edited July 2017
    HoneyWater wrote: »
    Hmm this topic is getting really serious o_o, and it's just because someone wanted to add Same sex Marriage, like other game has Same sex Marriage, and i don't see them getting so much hate. Other than Religion i wonder if there's an ACTUAL good reason why they shouldn't add it.

Really, it didn't have to get serious. Too much overthought and this game doesn't even have anything to do with any religion anyway.
  • HoneyWaterHoneyWater
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    ZeroBlux wrote: »
    PinkBeauty wrote: »
    We do love and accept each other beyond screen and avatar, therefore why not allow same gender marriage in the game? It doesn't make a difference anyway, people just make opposite gender characters to have the marriage. It's wrong to limit the marriage feature to male/female only. It is discriminative.

then whats the problem here? if you clearly love each other for who you are beyond your screen and avatar, adding in gay marriage would feel pointless. it'd just be for an aesthetic purpose by then

BECAUSE PEOPLE WANT TO 8'DD, AND THAT'S A BEAUTIFUL THING. it would just be great if people could marry whoever they want in the game. I should also question you, What's your problem o.O? you seem to have a problem with Same sex marriage in maplestory o-o.
  • HoneyWaterHoneyWater
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    Rolls wrote: »
    If it's that some people might disagree with it, then they should just not do it. No one's going to be forced into it. There's getting to be more acceptance of this regardless, so it's not like having gay marriage is much different from not having it in terms of controversy, this whole conversation being proof of that.

Unless Nexon decides to add a gender or 70, I don't see any significant backlash happening if this is implemented. If anything, it's more people that'd buy NX for marriages.

I'm sure Most people don't care if it get added or not, But i guess people that Have some unrelated issue against it like (religion as a prime example) would complain about it in this discussion
  • HoneyWaterHoneyWater
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    HoneyWater wrote: »
    Hmm this topic is getting really serious o_o, and it's just because someone wanted to add Same sex Marriage, like other game has Same sex Marriage, and i don't see them getting so much hate. Other than Religion i wonder if there's an ACTUAL good reason why they shouldn't add it.

Really, it didn't have to get serious. Too much overthought and this game doesn't even have anything to do with any religion anyway.

Well People seem to have Thrown in some Religious comments in this discussion that's why, and some people i guess just didn't like some more freedom added into the game.
  • ArlongArlong
    Reactions: 4,645
    edited July 2017
    rofl at "religion is the only reason anyone would be against gay marriage"
    I wrecked havoc on the forum some years ago because I explained why gay marriage is wrong without referencing any religion. Not allowed to talk about it anymore or nexon will ban me again but just letting you know that there are secular reasons to be against gay marriage
    edited July 2017
    Propaganda

You're looking way too far into this. Why don't we just get rid of marriage completely since "kids wouldn't be able to comprehend it"? While we're at it, let's remove mechanically complicated classes or difficult bosses, because they wouldn't be able to comprehend that either. Let's also dumb down the text and story so children can understand it too. And after that, let's get rid of scrolls, cubes and other methods of enhancement, because these children don't have the "judgement and reasoning" for that yet.

What's wrong with showing a "child" gay marriage? "Propaganda"
    What about it is propaganda? "Propaganda" "Some people don't like it and the people that do are stupid and people will be stupid if it happens"
    So what else do you have a problem with? "Propaganda" "This is politics and it should not be in a game"

I'll have to say, being in California myself, I know propaganda when I see it, and this game is one of the furthest things from it I have ever seen. It is as neutral and politically devoid as it can possibly be, and that's an achievement in its own way. The only one trying to controversialise this is you.

who the hell said the game has propaganda in it now? I have evensaid in this same post that nexon has done a good job with staying neutral and not being political.

People tend to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts. What youre doing is putting words in my mouth so you can deliver your point.

what I said was that gay marriage is political and it should stay out of the game. you took everything I wrote out of context so you can respond in your way, thats the basis of fallacies and quite ilogical.
    edited July 2017
    No one has even brought up religion except for one person said Christian parents would be against their children playing a game if theres gay marriage.

the reason I know this isnt about nexon making money is because no one has even discussed numbers.

The reason im against it is because people are passively making Nexon America take a side on a political issue.
  • Its2Sharp4UIts2Sharp4U
    Reactions: 6,020
    edited July 2017
    Above all else before adding more content, they should first address stability of the server. Legion raid Boss map already lags when youre inside. It lags when theres GM events.

Nexon probably already knows the difference between high priority VS quality of life updates. Stability should always be in a favor of game content which Nexon has proven in many cases where they have closed off Root Abyss, Gollux, and unscheduled maintenance to patch crashes caused by attacks, or simply for the lack of stability.

But, I believe each suggestion has an equal right to be reviewed and shouldn't be thrown down based on that alone. I do think it will take awhile since it can possibly be a side project.
    As for marriage regardless of gender I honestly think should be implemented. There is an "RPG" in "MMORPG", and if not that I think people should be able to do what they want in this instance. It'll obviously have a few glares here and there, but in this case it doesn't affect others only the individuals who have made the decision. They shouldn't be locked into fate, I would personally let them decide their own path and destiny whether I agree or disagree to their decisions.

But again, this is just my opinion.
This discussion has been closed.