[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.250 - Mayple Island Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Warrior Advancement in Perion

ChiefOfConversationChiefOfConversation
Reactions: 410
edited January 2018 in General Chat
So I went to Perion to become a Warrior and lord behold at some random quest, I get teleported back to Alishan to do a stupid 'Wild Hedgehog" quest. And in another instance, I get teleported all the way to Fairy land to find some school notes and missing children. At some point, I went back to Perion to get a Job upgrade and now I am a Fighter. I traveled long and far in Perion and all of the quests I found are low level and incredibly small. Like, go get 20 sticks for my collection of sticks. I was under the impression I'm supposed to advance as a Warrior and stay in Perion, being led by the Indian Chief. Am I supposed to venture off in Maplestory land and doo whatever I want, only coming back to Perion for the job advancements or am I missing a piece of the puzzle here?

Comments

• NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited January 2018
    Technically you can do whatever you want; you don't even have to do the quests at all, if you so wish. The only necessary quests in the game are the ones relating to job advancements, and the ones relating to 5th job (the Amnesiac Temple Keeper questline in Temple of Time).

The Alishan quest is considered rather annoying, it's recommended that you simply accept it and then leave through the portal. It does, however, give you a way to teleport to Heneseys from any town with a Dimensional Mirror, so it is somewhat useful.
    The Fairy Academy quest is a theme dungeon; it does have some rather useful rewards (a low-level cape, spell traces, mesos, a low-level eye accessory).

Once you make the advancement to the warrior of your choice, you're free to travel and explore as you please, barring level restrictions. You will periodically receive story-related quests and your job-advancement quests through the lightbulb icon on the left-hand side of the screen, so you ought to keep an eye on that.
    ChiefOfConversation
  • YinYangXYinYangX
    Reactions: 3,995
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2018
    I traveled long and far in Perion and all of the quests I found are low level and incredibly small. Like, go get 20 sticks for my collection of sticks. I was under the impression I'm supposed to advance as a Warrior and stay in Perion, being led by the Indian Chief. Am I supposed to venture off in Maplestory land and doo whatever I want, only coming back to Perion for the job advancements or am I missing a piece of the puzzle here?

I mean the highest monster around Perion is lvl 65. You're only suppose to stay on Victoria Island till like shortly after second job advancement. I mean imagine for Magicians, the highest mobs around Ellinia are only lvl 30.
    Go out, explore, kill stuff (and probably get killed, =o)! Victoria Island is just a small part of the big Maple World (which is a small part of an even bigger whole!).
  • YoongiYoongi
    Reactions: 1,735
    edited January 2018
    I agree that The Alishan quest is super annoying. I wouldn't mind if it popped up on the side, but it annoys you as a bubble over your head for ages, even if you say no or 'do it later.' Eventually I just use it as a free trip to Henesys. The quest isn't even worth it, since you get no exp from the monsters, and the part on the train is surprisingly harder than the rest of it. It's hardly worth it.
    The fairy academy quest is worth it though, to me. I've done it numerous times just for the good rewards, and I pretty much have the quest line memorized at this point. But it's worthwhile imo. The medal, eye accessory, bracelet, and cape are pretty nice.
  • ChiefOfConversationChiefOfConversation
    Reactions: 410
    edited January 2018
    Yoongi wrote: »
    I agree that The Alishan quest is super annoying. I wouldn't mind if it popped up on the side, but it annoys you as a bubble over your head for ages, even if you say no or 'do it later.' Eventually I just use it as a free trip to Henesys. The quest isn't even worth it, since you get no exp from the monsters, and the part on the train is surprisingly harder than the rest of it. It's hardly worth it.
    The fairy academy quest is worth it though, to me. I've done it numerous times just for the good rewards, and I pretty much have the quest line memorized at this point. But it's worthwhile imo. The medal, eye accessory, bracelet, and cape are pretty nice.

I probably did the fairy quest wrong then because I didn't get anything out of it, maybe I didn't finish it properly. This is the one where you're in the Academy look for the missing student's class notes, correct? If so, the last place I went to was the bookshelf the class note led me to. Then the boy I was getting the quests from, whom was helping me find the children, disappeared and I didn't know where to go after that. :/
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited January 2018
    I probably did the fairy quest wrong then because I didn't get anything out of it, maybe I didn't finish it properly. This is the one where you're in the Academy look for the missing student's class notes, correct? If so, the last place I went to was the bookshelf the class note led me to. Then the boy I was getting the quests from, whom was helping me find the children, disappeared and I didn't know where to go after that. :/

He moved to the next floor, if I recall correctly. The third floor is accessible from the map "Second Floor: Corridor". You'll then repeat the note-gathering quests with the girls' notes and find several costumes hidden behind a poster of Phantom. Cootie will then move back down to the main lobby to report his findings.
    ChiefOfConversationForsakenCurse
  • ForsakenCurseForsakenCurse
    Reactions: 300
    edited January 2018
    So I went to Perion to become a Warrior and lord behold at some random quest, I get teleported back to Alishan to do a stupid 'Wild Hedgehog" quest. And in another instance, I get teleported all the way to Fairy land to find some school notes and missing children. At some point, I went back to Perion to get a Job upgrade and now I am a Fighter. I traveled long and far in Perion and all of the quests I found are low level and incredibly small. Like, go get 20 sticks for my collection of sticks. I was under the impression I'm supposed to advance as a Warrior and stay in Perion, being led by the Indian Chief. Am I supposed to venture off in Maplestory land and doo whatever I want, only coming back to Perion for the job advancements or am I missing a piece of the puzzle here?

If you are new to MapleStory, there are two ways to play this game. First is through exploring the world and diving into different quests and stories. I recommend this if you want to learn more lore about the Maple World. They often give you nice rewards and they're quite interesting sometimes. This also includes side quests and theme dungeons, which both are just extra stories to participate in. In your case since you did your side quest ahead of the main quests around your level, I suggest you just adventure off and find higher level quests elsewhere.
    The second way is to just grind for level. That's when you only do the necessary job advancement quests and use the rest of your time just mobbing for exp. I only recommend this if you are experienced in MapleStory and/or not interested in learning about some of the storylines and lore. You will definitely level faster this way, but will sacrifice some interesting storylines in doing so.
    Both ways are acceptable in playing Maple, it is just up to you for how you want to enjoy this game. I recommend a decent balance between the two. Take some time to mob monsters to level up, then take a break and take on a few quests to feel engaged in the vast world of MapleStory! :)