[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.250 - Mayple Island Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Why do you get less EXP on higher lvled monsters?

ToxicFlameToxicFlame
Reactions: 200
in General Chat
Haven't played this game in 5 years. I was feeling nostalgic and wanted to visit my past and got this game and boy so much has changed.

But anyway, before you kill a monster that was 10 EXP, you get 10 EXP no matter what level you are. So why the change?

Comments

• NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited July 2018
    The EXP/drop penalty is part of a deterrent to meso farmers and botters. It also forces normal players to continue moving through higher-level areas rather than remaining in one "optimal" area, which resulted in large amounts of leeching and macroing on certain maps.
  • ToxicFlameToxicFlame
    Reactions: 200
    edited July 2018
    Neospector wrote: »
    The EXP/drop penalty is part of a deterrent to meso farmers and botters. It also forces normal players to continue moving through higher-level areas rather than remaining in one "optimal" area, which resulted in large amounts of leeching and macroing on certain maps.
    The meso farmers and botters can go anywhere to macro, at some point during the day they have to set up shop so they can go somewhere different every-time before turning on their macro and leaving for their "productive" day to day duties.
    They get mesos+exp at a slower rate sure but they still don't work for it.

This only serves to be harder for normal players to level up, since nothing is every really difficult for botters.
  • ACMBlackCipherACMBlackCipher
    Reactions: 1,690
    edited July 2018
    I don't necessarily see how it's "harder" for normal players now. There's still optimal places for training and exp gain within every level range and, as Neospector said, forces players to experience other parts of the game.

"But what if I don't want to experience new content and just level mules."

Well, that's not the point of a game when a developer makes it. The intent of content is not to allow for optimal min-maxing at one specific point in the game for the rest of the game.