[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.250 - Mayple Island Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Started playing again-what did I miss? Any tips?

HoldHarmonySacredHoldHarmonySacred
Reactions: 210
in General Chat
What the title says. I used to play all the time back in 2011-2014ish, but then I left, but now I'm back again! My old account is probably lost to the void, so I'm starting completely fresh with a new one so that I can learn how to play the game again.

So what did I miss in the time since then? Anything fun or cool happen in the meantime? Also, does anyone have any tips as I make my way back up through the game? I'm starting off with a regular old Explorer to ease myself back in, but I'd love to move on to playing one of the Heroes soon. I've got a bit of a long-time bias for Phantom, Luminous, and Shade, but is there anyone else I should keep an eye on? And does anyone have any idea if/when Zero will be back? I lost mine when I lost my old account, and I'd love to play them again.

Comments

• NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited September 2018
    There have been significant changes since you last played. Far too many to list outright.

Some notable changes include:
    • The Reboot server: A server where cubes can be bought for mesos, trading is disabled entirely, monsters are harder, and scrolling and bonus potential are disabled
    • Kinesis: A mage class from the FriendStory world (Earth) that utilizes telekinesis
    • Ursus: An 18-player raid boss, often done during the double-meso hour every day.
    • The removal of the Free Market system, and the addition of the Auction House system
    • A drastic revamp of the Evan/Aran classes
    • Blaster: Resistance warrior that uses an Arm Cannon weapon
    • Heroes of Maple: A role-playing blockbuster starring Evan and the other heroes as the main characters
    • A revamped Zakum with new mechanics, and a significant increase in difficulty to Chaos Zakum
    • Damien: The boss of the Heroes of Maple blockbuster and the level 210 boss of the Dark World Tree area.
    • The release of 5th job (English trailer located here)
    • Around 5th job, Luminous was also changed to be identical to KMS's system, meaning a reduced mobbing ability but significantly increased bossing ability
    • The level 200+ area Arcane River, featuring Vanishing Journey, Chu Chu Island, and Lachelein.
    • Lucid, the level 230 boss of the Lachelein area.
    • A revamped Omega Sector, featuring a storyling involving the M-Force (renamed from the Meso Rangers)
    • The addition of the Meso Market system, allowing users to trade maple points for mesos and vice versa
    • The Legion system, which replaces the character cards and part-time job system and grants you bonuses depending on the characters you have. The Legion shop also allows you to purchase leveling potions and 2x cards.
    • Arcana (Spirit Forest): the fourth area of Arcane River
    • Cadena: The Nova thief character, who uses a chain to attack
    • Illium: A Verdant Flora character, who utilizes a crystal summon to direct his attacks
    • Morass (Swamp of Memories): The 5th area of Arcane River
    • A revamped Papulatus, and the addition of chaos-mode Papulatus
    • The removal of meso drops from bosses, and the addition of the Power Crystal, which can be sold to an NPC in the Free Market for boss meso rewards
    • Ark: A High Flora character corrupted by a Specter, functioning on a similar light/dark system to Luminous
    • Esfera (The Origin Sea): The 6th area of Arcane River and the beginning of the end of the Black Mage's storyling, culminating in the total release of the Black Mage and his ascension beyond the power of a Transcendent.
    • Will, the level 250 boss of the Esfera area, notable due to difficult mechanics in all 3 stages (such as having to fight Will in 2 dimensions at once during the first phase)
    • The Monad blockbuster, exclusive to overseas servers, featuing the Julieta boss (a multi-map raid boss), and ultimately tying in all non-KMS content into a single storyline.
    • Most recently in KMS, the latest area of Tenebris, the start of the fight against the Black Mage, the True Hilla boss, and the fight against the Black Mage himself split into four phases: The Aion of Creation/Deimurge of Destruction (fought together), the Black Mage himself on his throne, the Black Mage after he's ascended to a form made up of light, and finally the Black Mage in Nonexistent Space. This was immediately followed by the raising of the level cap to 275, the addition of the Genesis weapons for each class, and the confirmation that the next final boss is set to be Darmoor, the Transcendent of Life in Grandis and the leader of the High Flora.
    HoldHarmonySacredInvulgoYinYangX
  • HoldHarmonySacredHoldHarmonySacred
    edited September 2018
    Whoa there, guess I'll need to get deep into the grind in order to catch up. At least almost all of it is lategame content, so I can probably just take it at a slow and steady pace to get there. Thank you so much helping me catch up!

Few more dumb questions - If Luminous got revamped to match KMS, does that mean the semi-route split at the start of his story was put back in, or does the game still lock you onto the dark path in terms of story whether you like it or not? And now that I've only just now remembered that Zero is locked until I get a character to level 100, are they available right now or do I have to wait for them to return? And what level do I have to be at for the other blockbusters like Heroes of Maple to unlock?
  • NeospectorNeospector
    edited September 2018
    You can pick between the Light/Dark story path, yes. I remade my Luminous specifically because of that.

Zero is not currently available.

Black Heaven unlocks at level 120(?) and Heroes of Maple at level 135(?). FriendStory unlocks at level 100. These adjustments are recent, so I don't remember off the top of my head.
    Monad is level 33+, but the difficult spike is really large, so level 100+ or even 200+ might be more recommended for easy (relatively speaking) completion.
    HoldHarmonySacred
    edited September 2018
    Got it, guess my plan to hold off on the blockbusters until later is the smart thing to do. Again, thank you so much! I guess I'm in for a wild ride as I get back into the game...
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited September 2018
    If you start off in Windia, I can help you out, but Bera and Reboot is where you'll find a higher population.
    edited September 2018
    I think I picked Galicia like a fool, but I'll have to consider making a character in Reboot at some point. Thanks for the offer though!
  • NeospectorNeospector
    edited September 2018
    I think I picked Galicia like a fool, but I'll have to consider making a character in Reboot at some point. Thanks for the offer though!

If that's the case I can help you out. If you find me in the Discord I'm usually on after 5PM. Sometimes I'm on as easily as 1PM, but I've been playing Breath of the Wild lately so I haven't been at my computer 24/7 like I usually am.
    DarkPassengerHoldHarmonySacredYinYangX