[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Quest Booster suggestion!

MargolMargol
Reactions: 200
Hey I was thinking that, in order to make quest booster more appealing and for it to sell more.
It should also double the rate of the items received, or at least double the amount of arcane symbols received c:
that way people will buy it more and the community will be happy and the grind to get them to 20 or start getting them on a new char would be alleviated.
I think it would be awesome and I know many people will buy it just for double arcane symbol drop!

Comments

• ArwooArwoo
    Reactions: 17,755
    edited November 2018
    Do you think there may be a fear of this being an unhealthy form of monetization?
    I'm curious to hear what the rest of the community thinks on this topic.

Also, how would something like this work on Reboot? Would it be available in Reboot?
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2018
    Arwoo: Quest boosters, like all other forms of cash shop exp buffs, don't exist in Reboot.

As for the suggestion itself: Quest Boosters cost 2,500 NX for 10 days. A relatively low price, reflecting their low usefulness. They are only really useful for leveling Zero, whose primary source of EXP is quests.
    Double symbols, which in effect doubles progression through Arcane River and halves the time to reach endgame (from about a year to half that) would be worth a lot more. And therefore priced higher. And, consequently, heavily pay2win.
    In fact, even at the current price it's very much pay2win.
    And wasn't the entire drop-gear nerf and symbol drop rate reduction meant to make it so "the rich" can't max their symbols faster by paying for drop gear? Adding a new way to pay to max symbols faster runs contrary to that spirit.
    FuhreakAggraphine
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited November 2018
    AKradian wrote: »
    Arwoo: Quest boosters, like all other forms of cash shop exp buffs, don't exist in Reboot.

As for the suggestion itself: Quest Boosters cost 2,500 NX for 10 days. A relatively low price, reflecting their low usefulness. They are only really useful for leveling Zero, whose primary source of EXP is quests.
    Double symbols, which in effect doubles progression through Arcane River and halves the time to reach endgame (from about a year to half that) would be worth a lot more. And therefore priced higher. And, consequently, heavily pay2win.

I had his same concerns some hours ago, but I didn't know how to put why this wouldn't be a wise idea into words.

This sort of change would serve no more than two purposes if the cost were to be increased, or duration decreased, based on the newly-added functions. It would both ostracize newly-made zero players, who would have to pay more, for less, to get through their quests while also further widening the gulf between players who regularly hit mvp diamond month after month after month and those who don't buy nx at all.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2018
    I think this is going way too far in the whole "buy your way through the game" scheme of things.
    We need less things that encourage solo play, not more.
    Questing in my personal experience is better suited for solo play, as there's a lot of running around.
    You change maps so frequently it's easier to just let them do their quests until they're ready to settle on a map.
    Even with HTR + Voice chat, it's still a hassle if you're not doing the questline with them or don't know the questline by heart.
    Edit: Not to mention this is only assuming 2 people in a party...

If you want more arcane symbols, you grind with drop rate gear imo.
    If you want drop rate gear, you buy cubes.
    The game basically already has a "pay to win" option for this.
    As far as being available in reboot... I think AKradian has the right answer.
  • HHG1HHG1
    Reactions: 5,986
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2018
    I think it's fine the way it is for the price and uses it has. Only reasonable addition I can think of would be for the coupon to increase droprate of quest items specifically (arcane quest ETC, lunar dews, PQ items) to increase sales. Might be abuseable/p2w when it comes to event items though.

Edit: I'll elaborate. Say you're a fresh 200, trying to get through your VJ quests and dailies, but you're not doing damage at all and you have no droprate gear (I've carried quite a few people through their quests because of this). No person in their right mind is going to buy a 4 hour drop coupon every day for their dailies, but they might buy a 10-day quest booster to make the first few days easier before they get their arcane force up. They're still time-gated because it's not giving double symbols, but it does provide extra convenience, which is what most NX items are for, in this case speeding the questing process up.

And people grinding the lunar dew quest would also be more inclined to space it out over a couple of days rather than a full 4 hours in one go. Same for most pre-quests on a new character.
    Beef
  • MargolMargol
    Reactions: 200
    edited November 2018
    I wasn't thinking so much on the monetization but, they bring up good points..
    I didn't really think of that, I just thought it would be a nice idea :(
    seeing how rough the arcane symbol grind is, and yea not everyone has drop gear.
    I'm sorry if i caused trouble, im not exactly good with expressing things.
    I guess another way could be, if the symbol transfer didnt cost you 20% of ur total exp!
    I already sadly lost 40% on 2 just trying out the arcane symbol transfer thingy.
    which added about like an extra month n sum days of lost progress.
    anyways im rambling on like an old man haha xD
    Thanks for at least considering my suggestion!
  • ArwooArwoo
    Reactions: 17,755
    edited November 2018
    No worries, Margol! You caused no trouble and this is just our community providing feedback to the suggestion!
    Fuhreak