[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.250 - Mayple Island Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Alliance outpost Lag Resolutions

palumatzupalumatzu
Reactions: 225
edited December 2018 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
One of the main reasons I despise the current Black Mage events is because there's so many players idling in the outpost (no matter what channel you go to), that it becomes effectively impossible for people with low-end PCs to get anything done. I tend to lag so much at outpost, I look forward to crashing 5-6 times before I can get some Expedition Quest turned in, or get an update to my rank with Neinhart. 10-11 times when I'm trying to buy something from the shop.

MY suggestion? Make Idling banned in at least one channel per world; this channel will, logically, be empty of idlers, and instead be reserved for people who have other business than idle determination farming.

Comments

• FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2018
    palumatzu wrote: »
    One of the main reasons I despise the current Black Mage events is because there's so many players idling in the outpost (no matter what channel you go to), that it becomes effectively impossible for people with low-end PCs to get anything done. I tend to lag so much at outpost, I look forward to crashing 5-6 times before I can get some Expedition Quest turned in, or get an update to my rank with Neinhart. 10-11 times when I'm trying to buy something from the shop.

MY suggestion? Make Idling banned in at least one channel per world; this channel will, logically, be empty of idlers, and instead be reserved for people who have other business than idle determination farming.

This is a weird way of handling things imo. How would this be advertised? Is it said in-game? When you enter the map? Do they do this for all AFK-Event maps?
    I think a better solution would be to unload characters on chairs (the skill is considered a chair) on maps like these. For future AFK-Maps, just do the same thing here. (Require sitting on a chair to reap rewards)
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2018
    Fuhreak wrote: »
    This is a weird way of handling things imo. How would this be advertised? Is it said in-game? When you enter the map? Do they do this for all AFK-Event maps?
    I think a better solution would be to unload characters on chairs (the skill is considered a chair) on maps like these. For future AFK-Maps, just do the same thing here. (Require sitting on a chair to reap rewards)

It would have been quite simple to make the Alliance's Resolve skill work in any map. They intentionally made it only work in Outpost. I assume this is because they want a lot of players gathered in one spot and able to see each other there. Community-building or at least showing people that their world isn't as empty as they might be thinking.
    So, I don't think your idea would be accepted.

However, I'm also not sure it's all the people causing the lag. I think it's features of the map itself, like the fog blowing through it. Maybe the game needs a "simplified graphics" toggle, for those whose hardware can't keep up with the game's constantly escalating graphic requirements.
    Fuhreakpalumatzu
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2018
    AKradian wrote: »
    Fuhreak wrote: »

It would have been quite simple to make the Alliance's Resolve skill work in any map. They intentionally made it only work in Outpost. I assume this is because they want a lot of players gathered in one spot and able to see each other there. Community-building or at least showing people that their world isn't as empty as they might be thinking.

However, I'm also not sure it's all the people causing the lag. I think it's features of the map itself, like the fog blowing through it. Maybe the game needs a "simplified graphics" toggle, for those whose hardware can't keep up with the game's constantly escalating graphic requirements.

You're right. I mean if previous events had skills that worked in any map, you could just go to your favorite idle spot of choice and just grab your free coins/exp.
    It's my opinion that it's the people. The way maplestory handles drawing of characters (and the only way it really could) can be extremely heavy on the computer.
    After all, I've experienced similar lag in the previous events which had much more simple maps.

If Nexon really wants to "community-build" and "show their world isn't as empty as they might think", I don't know why we don't have a free server wide chat method yet.
    The six person random chat room doesn't count in my book. I'd like to see megaphones (not super) become free. I never see anyone use them anyway.
    palumatzu
  • AnythingAnything
    Reactions: 1,385
    edited January 2019
    AKradian wrote: »

You could be right that they want us to gather in one spot 'Community-building' but they are all AFK, so that kills the point. Whatever creates the lag there, I do not know but the lag experience almost resembles the one from Event Hall (but Event Hall had a different issue). But it is possible what you said about the feature of the map that caused the lag but however it is also possible in combination with many other players being in the map. During the times when most of the USA players are asleep it is less laggy for my laptop in the Alliance Outpost, but later when it's afternoon in the USA it's very laggy.

After todays Maintenance (January 3rd) Outpost is empty. It's lag free on my laptop, so it is definitely the amount of players in the map.