[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts
Closed

Your thoughts on an official Maple Legacy server?

NeoTokyoDudeNeoTokyoDude
Reactions: 1,240
edited April 2017 in General Chat
Is it the most important thing for Maplestory as a game? Probably not
Could it be highly impractical and require time to implement? Probably
Do I still think it would be worthwhile? Absolutely

Most anyone who has ever heard about the topic of Pre Big bang already knows that it would probably not be an easy task to create a Maplestory legacy server but for a moment, let us assume that it was more possible than it is impossible.
If an official legacy server were to appear, how likely would you be to give it a try?
Are there any specific dates or versions that you believe would be best suited for a server like this? If so then why?
Alternatively if you don't feel like making a long comment, you can put a YAY or a NAY.
YAY = Would probably try the server
NAY = Probably would not try the server
(informal vote which can be freely changed anytime) Really just for the sake of a head count.

Another route I would like input on is the idea of an official legacy server + 1 update. Sometime after the initial opening, what if there was one big patch done? For example, slightly lowering the experience needed to advance in a certain level range or adding a feature that did not appear in the game until much later? (such as pvp) Of course there are no promises but just in theory.

And finally I think it would be wise to open the floor to potential names for a Legacy server. Anything that signifies age, wisdom, redemption, quality or a name that just sounds good.

The primary purpose of this thread is to collect thoughts about what an official legacy server could possibly look like. It is already assumed that the concept might have a low chance of getting made or might be impractical, so posts about those are not currently needed.
OldMSRules

Comments

• InvulgoInvulgo
    Reactions: 4,620
    edited April 2017
    Close reason:
    Old Maple
    - Do not create threads pertaining to Old Maple Servers, Legacy Server, Pre-Big Bang Servers, etc. You can talk about previous verions of MapleStory for memories and nostalgia's sake, but discussions surrounding starting up new services or servers are not allowed.

Implementing a "old maple" server isn't a priority due to the fact that it can't be sustained by nostalgia alone. Players would desire content updates for the server to make it long term.
  • MegaScienceMegaScience
    Reactions: 3,795
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited April 2017
    While we all have fond memories of hanging out on Orbis boat daring someone to go outside the cabin, admiring players level 40-50, being in a pile of Henesys players so thick you would swear they WERE the map, as Invulgo said a server like this cannot be sustained on nostalgia alone. One reason I'd lose interest is how slow paced the game was; most classes would be stuck at 100% speed/jump without a Bandit, almost no mobility skills, etc. Although the slow pace was how the game was, over time it'd feel repetitively disinteresting. A legacy server only holds appeal for a fraction of the community, whereas the novelty would wear off within a week - a month, tops. At that point, they've just expended at least thousands of dollars to set up servers for most likely about 40-60 people, not to mention upkeep. Conceptually it sounds nice to be given the opportunity, but I feel the drain in budget for what would last a couple months at most is not worthwhile.

I understand you don't want to hear these statements, as per your bold text, but you can't disregard the weight of the argument. We have a rule against such discussion for a reason: They eventually boil down to arguing the same points as I have stated above. Please keep all this in mind.
This discussion has been closed.