[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

An event based entirely on minigames??

ThatBaldyThatBaldy
Reactions: 1,145
edited May 2017 in Rants and Raves
For an event that is suppose to help characters get stronger(SS ring) why is it that we are sitting around playing minigames? Not only this the drop rate of the items for the quests are so low that the only viable way to get coins is through the minigames. On top of this, the games are bugged and draws give 2 coins. Who thought this was a good idea for such an important event especially in reboot? Please change this event and let us farm for boxes or at least up the drop rate of the items for the quests.

Comments

• NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited May 2017
    I personally find events that avoid grinding to be the best.
    Every time we've had a grinding event in the past, players have abused it to such an extent that everyone complains about it. Particularly during anniversaries, players would sit on their characters in Evolution Lab with auto-move pets and suck up the boxes until they had enough coins to buy all the items in the shops twice over. It wasn't fun, it was highly unfair to those of us who actually wanted to participate, and it was really just toxic behavior. It was also heavily beneficial to botters more than legitimate players.
    This is why most attendance and events focus on minigames, leaf/coin rains, time-based raid bosses (Frankenbalrog, etc), and quest completion instead of grinding. This is also why most grind-based items (boxes) have lower (~60 per day) coin limits nowadays.

If you want to report a bug with minigames, please do so by filing a bug report. As you can see on the most recent pages at the moment, there are no bug reports about the events, and aside from some rudimentary comments on Discord (I was at jury duty all day today so I didn't see any details), I haven't gotten the chance to see it first hand.
  • ThatBaldyThatBaldy
    Reactions: 1,145
    edited May 2017
    I agree that a change is nice but the quest drops are actually really low compared to old events. I can do kritias dailies along with vanishing journey and I still wouldn't be finished. My point was that the event is so focused around the mini-games and the drop portion just takes so long for a mere box that only has a chance at 1 coin.

I will try to report any bugs I might come across though if it helps.
    Its2Sharp4USlicedTimedeadend5193
  • PetalmagicPetalmagic
    Reactions: 7,660
    edited May 2017
    I really like mini games...especially after that horror that is Wondroid jump quests...its a great way to cool off my frustrations.
    deadend5193
  • RollsRolls
    Reactions: 3,220
    edited June 2017
    Petalmagic wrote: »
    I really like mini games...especially after that horror that is Wondroid jump quests...its a great way to cool off my frustrations.

Minigames were a good idea, but the way they were implemented this time is too screwy.
    Neospector wrote: »
    I personally find events that avoid grinding to be the best.
    Every time we've had a grinding event in the past, players have abused it to such an extent that everyone complains about it. Particularly during anniversaries, players would sit on their characters in Evolution Lab with auto-move pets and suck up the boxes until they had enough coins to buy all the items in the shops twice over. It wasn't fun, it was highly unfair to those of us who actually wanted to participate, and it was really just toxic behavior. It was also heavily beneficial to botters more than legitimate players.

I also don't much care for the grind in events, creates more things to do daily. But how's it "toxic" when Evolution lab is instanced anyway, and doesn't affect other players? It's not stopping anyone from participating, so how's it "unfair"? And you could make the argument that anything is "more beneficial to botters than legitimate players."

I'd prefer minigames over grinding out boxes, but when they make an event like this so reliant on them, for an item like SS ring, that's a problem. It'd probably go better with both box drops and minigames.
    deadend5193
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited June 2017
    Rolls wrote: »
    I also don't much care for the grind in events, creates more things to do daily. But how's it "toxic" when Evolution lab is instanced anyway, and doesn't affect other players? It's not stopping anyone from participating, so how's it "unfair"? And you could make the argument that anything is "more beneficial to botters than legitimate players."

I'd prefer minigames over grinding out boxes, but when they make an event like this so reliant on them, for an item like SS ring, that's a problem. It'd probably go better with both box drops and minigames.

Toxic behavior is behavior that doesn't get into the spirit of the game. It's bad for the community's health, discourages friendly interaction, etc. Affecting others isn't the issue; to use something you specifically dislike, paid items in Reboot doesn't "affect" you as an individual player either, but you clearly dislike it. Or if you did argue it affected you, you could say the same thing about those players in Evolution Lab. Nothing's stopping you from being F2P, strictly speaking, but it's clearly unfair.
    For example, grinding at LHC was especially toxic; players would hog maps for weeks grinding to high levels and, in my personal experience, often KS or just generally try to force other players out of their maps. Other toxic behavior has included things like SDH (encouraging the use of keyweighting, excessive use of mules, etc), naming and shaming/witchhunting, quite a bit of the memeing that has been done on the subreddit, and more.
    Typically the concept is subjective, but there was quite a bit of agreement in the past that grind-based events were especially unhealthy for the game and the community. The other primary complaint about them was that they're recycled and boring, something many players including myself agreed with.
  • RollsRolls
    Reactions: 3,220
    edited June 2017
    Neospector wrote: »
    paid items in Reboot doesn't "affect" you as an individual player either, but you clearly dislike it. Or if you did argue it affected you, you could say the same thing about those players in Evolution Lab. Nothing's stopping you from being F2P, strictly speaking, but it's clearly unfair.

There's a difference between the two. Anyone could grind out boxes if they wanted. The presence of other people farming them in Evolution Lab doesn't stop them from doing it themselves. The medal was something heavily in favour of those who paid. It's "unfair" when there's not an equal opportunity for everyone to do it.
    SlicedTime