[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Elemental resistance/weakness

XenomataXenomata
Reactions: 2,595
Member, Private Tester
edited July 2017 in General Chat
No, I'm not talking about the stat that many bosses in the game have that effectively lowers all damage dealt to them. I'm talking about normal monsters that have, say, a resistance to Fire based attacks.
I wasn't even aware this was a thing until I sent my Paladin to train at the cute lion monsters in Orbis, where Flame, Blizzard, and Lightning Charge each were resisted by one each of the lion enemies (the one resisted based on color). I also noticed the enemies in El Nath resisted Blizzard Charge, but took extreme damage from Flame Charge.

As far as I know, most classes these days don't have any elements associated with them, with classes who received revamping seeming to lose some of that elementalness to them, and most newer enemies don't pack any specific elemental resistances. Are we at a point where such is nothing more than an ancient leftover from when it did matter? Should we even continue to have such stats on older enemies if we're not going to utilize them on newer enemies anyways?

Comments

• OccireOccire
    Reactions: 1,935
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    It's the same stat. Every mob is tagged with some combination of 'I' (Ice), 'L' (Lightning), 'F' (Fire), 'S' (Poison), 'H' (Holy), 'D' (Dark), and 'P' (Physical, this is a catch all, all attacks which aren't under the other 6 elements are under this one), at various levels, 1 (immune, you deal 1s), 2 (resistant, 0.5x damage), and 3 (weak against, 2x damage). For example, a mob that is tagged 'I2F3' is resistant to ice and weak to fire and neutral to all the other elements. The latest major bosses are all tagged I2L2F2S2H2D2P2 (they only added the P2 attribute starting with Pink Bean, I believe, so physical based classes wouldn't be at a major advantage to the other element based classes), meaning they resist all elements, which is why you deal halved damage to them, it's not a different stat from normal elemental attributes.

The classic mages and Paladin have non-physical elements, so do some of the Cygnus classes, and Battle Mage that I know of, off the top of my head.
  • XenomataXenomata
    Reactions: 2,595
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    Occire wrote: »
    It's the same stat. Every mob is tagged with some combination of 'I' (Ice), 'L' (Lightning), 'F' (Fire), 'S' (Poison), 'H' (Holy), 'D' (Dark), and 'P' (Physical, this is a catch all, all attacks which aren't under the other 6 elements are under this one), at various levels, 1 (immune, you deal 1s), 2 (resistant, 0.5x damage), and 3 (weak against, 2x damage). For example, a mob that is tagged 'I2F3' is resistant to ice and weak to fire and neutral to all the other elements. The latest major bosses are all tagged I2L2F2S2H2D2P2 (they only added the P2 attribute starting with Pink Bean, I believe, so physical based classes wouldn't be at a major advantage to the other element based classes), meaning they resist all elements, which is why you deal halved damage to them, it's not a different stat from normal elemental attributes.

The classic mages and Paladin have non-physical elements, so do some of the Cygnus classes, and Battle Mage that I know of, off the top of my head.

If that's how it works, which I completely believe it is, then what's the point of continuing to have the Elemental resistances if we're basically giving every boss a 50% damage resistance stat regardless of the elements they are weak to? Is it just easier to give every boss I2L2F2S2H2D2P2 than a Damage Reduction stat similar to what we have, since it's both already in the code and has a player stat to semi-counter said stat?

I mean, if anyone could name just one more minor boss or normal monster in recent times that has a resistance or weakness to an element without being I2L2F2S2H2D2P2 , or one recent class that utilizes that element (not counting revamps such as RED, unless the revamp is a literal face lift such as Cygnus Awakening), then I'd believe it was still necessary. But right now it just looks like something they throw onto the big bosses to reduce damage.