[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.250 - Mayple Island Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Game freeze/graphical lag per 5 seconds

SfxRiffSfxRiff
Reactions: 810
edited February 2018 in Bug Reporting
Bug type: Functionality, Program

Brief bug summary: Game freezes every 5 seconds precise while logged in. As far as I am aware, this is specific to the visual/graphics aspect of the game, as the BGM continues to play, and inputs to the game are registered. However, it should be noted that assuming that a skill had been activated in the second the lag occurs, the sound effect for the skill will not play until after the visual lag resolves itself.

More details: As far as I can gather this is suggested to be a lag caused by specific USB devices and the game not interacting correctly. It is alleged that this could be a problem to do with the coding in Maplestory.
The only game and or application where said bug is experienced is Maplestory, as all other programs and games which I operate on this machine work fine.
Below is a brief summary of my setup.
CPU: Core i7-7567U
GPU: Nvidia 1080 FE
MOBO: Asus Maximus Hero VIII
PSU: 800W
Storage: Samsung 256GB SSD
RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB

I have attempted to address this issue by turning off the relevant utility tool for my keyboard, however have met little success in addressing the actual issue. Furthermore, I have turned off all RGB components of my computer, yet did not find any improvements.

Should further information be required, please advise.

Comments

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2018
    Do the lag spikes go away if you disconnect the keyboard?
  • SfxRiffSfxRiff
    edited February 2018
    Thank you for reminding me.
    When I launch the game with my keyboard disconnected the lag spikes do not seem to occur.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2018
    Thank you for the report, it has been forwarded.

Meanwhile, you can try the solution suggested in this reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/Maplestory/comments/73vso5/your_client_freeze_every_few_seconds/ (connect a gamepad or a virtual gamepad such as vjoy).
  • SfxRiffSfxRiff
    edited February 2018
    Thanks for the previous suggestion.
    As it happens installing a virtual gamepad does ease the issue, however, on occasion the game would completely freeze up and subsequently crash if left unatttended for roughly 3 minutes.
    I've yet to properly time the crash, and hence am unable to provide steps to reproduce this problem.

The lag per 5 seconds does go away with the virtual gamepad installed.

EDIT: It appears that the complete freeze and crash occurs even if the game is attended. This might be due to a seperate factor and not the installation of a virtual game pad. I will test this and come back with more insight.

UPDATE: I believe the eventual freeze/crash is a completely seperate issue, mostly due to a memory leak of sorts. The Virtual Gamepad solves the previous issue 100% without any side effects.