[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Please Extend Events Due To Bugs & Glitches

RyoManRyoMan
Reactions: 1,230
edited March 2018 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
Please extend events, as the game is unbearable to play. The Launcher will freeze, the game itself will freeze, stall, and completely shut off. Windows 10 is updating its security protocols all the time. Resulting in the game not being able to play. For me Windows Defender is no longer in the user control as it remain in the background running Anti Malware Software and Software that monitor what apps that are allow to have access to bypass Windows Defender Firewall protocols that run automatically in the background, impossible for the user to turn off. What fixes or anything that can be done, I dont know, as Window Updates all the time now. If it is possible please find a fix, while extending events so all players can enjoy them.

Comments

• NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited March 2018
    Windows 10 hasn't updated any security protocols recently (I assume you mean security updates). I play on Windows 10.

You can change the Windows Defender settings (or better yet, turn off Windows Defender entirely) through the Windows Defender settings. Search for "Windows Defender" in your taskbar.
    zQL2L3i.png
  • RyoManRyoMan
    edited March 2018
    That option is removed from Windows Defender since the latest Windows Update. You can no longer turn it off. You can only disable some features, but the program will continue to run in the background in Task Manager.
  • NeospectorNeospector
    edited March 2018
    RyoMan wrote: »
    That option is removed from Windows Defender since the latest Windows Update. You can no longer turn it off. You can only disable some features, but the program will continue to run in the background in Task Manager.

Er, not that I can tell, no.

There is a background task known as "Windows Defender notification icon", which is an indicator as to whether you have an antivirus (any antivirus) installed and active at all. If you have an antivirus active, it will show a little green checkmark and say "No action needed". If you do not have an active antivirus, it will display a small red "X" and say "Action required". For example, I use Avira (the red umbrella icon). Windows detects this:
    a9AH5j8.png

I cannot find anyone else talking about this either; it would be all over the internet if Microsoft was forcing Windows Defender to be active. You should be able to disable it fairly easily in the settings.
  • RyoManRyoMan
    edited March 2018
    On the offset you are correct, as this is how it should normally work. The program that Windows Defender runs can only be seen in Task Manager. Its called Antimalware Service Executable, the parent program Windows Defender. When I run MapleStory and view task manager, when the game disconnects, the mentioned Antimalware program spikes in using a 80+ mb of memory. It will shut off the game, like AVG use to before the fix of disabling it. Its apart of Window Defender AntiVirus Shield and it cannot be disabled fully.

I will try to provide screenshots.
  • NeospectorNeospector
    edited March 2018
    Antimalware Service only reenables if you don't have any antivirus installed for some time. It should still be able to be disabled normally:

https://www.howtogeek.com/318556/what-is-antimalware-service-executable-and-why-is-it-running-on-my-pc/
  • RyoManRyoMan
    edited March 2018
    I have Avast Antivirus installed, and Antimalware Service Executable is still running in the background. This might be the same for other users who disconnect often as well. A lot of people in the guild I am apart of, disconnect regularly.
  • RyoManRyoMan
    edited March 2018
    The latest Windows Update has forced Windows Defender to run on my PC, being unable to disable it, or its feature. The link you provided is from 2017. [img][/img]Real-Time%20Protection%20Win%20Defender.jpg

Windows 10 is now force running Windows Defender, and since the program is protected there is no possible to disable it. This may be a glitch on windows behave; but it is making the game very unstable.

[img][/img]Non%20Disabled%20Windows%20Defender.jpg

• RyoManRyoMan
    edited March 2018
    I notice this immediately, but I doubt a lot of people would know about this, since this is very current to the latest Win update.

(Edit) Here is the image of the file and how much memory it uses.

[img][/img]TaskManager01.jpg
  • NeospectorNeospector
    edited March 2018
    I asked a couple other people if they were capable of reproducing the issue. All of them confirmed that they could turn Windows Defender off (or otherwise had no issues with Defender).

You might consider asking the Microsoft community directly about why you cannot disable yours, as they might be more knowledgeable on the subject than I am.
  • RyoManRyoMan
    edited March 2018
    Thanks for responding to the post. In time there may be more people with this issue, or those who will soon recognize.
  • RyoManRyoMan
    edited March 2018
    Ok, maybe a little further explanation of how the issue was created could shed some light. You know of the old AVG fix, disabling the selected type of 3rd Party Antivirus Temporarily? Well, since the recent Win Updates, if you temporarily disable your antivirus program, there is a chance that Window Defender will run in the background and causing system instability. Ultimately, everyone need to be aware of this, because once Windows Defender is active, it cannot be disabled. I had to remove Avast from my computer because of this. Maybe, if the Devs can find a work-around and a feasible solution, so that Nexon Runtime and Black Cypher can bypass All (if not most ) Antivirus Active Shields, no one else will suffer the same fate as me.

• RyoManRyoMan
    edited March 2018
    Here is how much of an Issue Windows Defender was in 2016. it is getting worse for the Home User, because there is no way to uninstall the program.

https://partnersupport.microsoft.com/en-us/par_servplat/forum/par_winserv/disable-windows-defender-on-server-2016/3b19d95c-0969-44ba-b9c1-e348be7a7a98
  • RyoManRyoMan
    edited March 2018
    I applied a fix of disabling Windows Defender permanently. But, the fix is too complicated for most people to utilize since it involves going into the registry to do so. The game ran soo much smoother than before. Maybe, if there is a way that the game can bypass most Antivirus Active Shields, it would help lot of people from having to experience this happening. And it would be a permanent solution to the AVG fix as well.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2018
    You know, if Maplestory could be programmed to bypass Antiviruses, then so could viruses.
  • RyoManRyoMan
    edited March 2018
    True True
  • YamiTetsuyaYamiTetsuya
    Reactions: 1,210
    edited March 2018
    I agree. I lost too many days of the Evangelion event cuz the game wouldn't work at all. I sent a ticket but Nexon has no official solution for the problem. I formated my computer and then it finaly worked.
    AKradian wrote: »
    You know, if Maplestory could be programmed to bypass Antiviruses, then so could viruses.

Antiviruses shouldn't attack MapleStory in the first place. I remeber having an issue with that years ago. The solution was to turn off antivirus during launch then activate it again once the game was running. That was a lame solution (and gave me some viruses in the long run) but as always Nexon didn't have an official solution.