[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Game client's file sizes are very big

GoldAdventurerGoldAdventurer
Reactions: 2,645
Member, Private Tester
edited May 2019 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
Hello there,
I would like to talk about a fact where the game client file sizes are very big (the overall game client file's sizes today is over 14GB).
I think that's a lot, and due to this from one game update to another it takes longer to load the game.
I'm afraid this is just one of the reasons a lot of people decided to leave (but also due to the direction the game is going through)...
Due to the current worrying situation (at least for me if not for more players), I would recommend on finding more ways how to decrease the overall game client's size so the game will be loaded faster.
Maybe to delete various maps or some content which will not be used anymore in the future and these takes a lot of space..
The space required for the files is being increased dramatically from one game update to another, and it seems it's not going to stop and for old PCs with HDD the game patches and loading process are not going to be shorter...

Thank you.

Comments

• MaesMaes
    Reactions: 520
    edited April 2019
    Tbf 14gb is very small when compared to other games. I think the games poor load times has to do with something on their end primarily. My SSD takes uncomfortably long to load the character select screen at times.

Also id like to mention that reducing file size will almost certainly not help load times. Your PC doesnt load every map and every bit of information at the same time. It only loads what you need, which is why Im almost certain this is a problem on their end. For comparison I can log into WoW in less than 10 seconds and that game is somewhere around 60-70gbs iirc, yet MS can take several minutes and I could load the entire game on my RAM if I wanted.

I do agree this needs to be looked into though. I can handle load times on my primary PC but my laptop is a pain and can take 5+ minutes to load the game which is insane.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited April 2019
    The file size could absolutely be reduced somewhat if they didn't have this habit of leaving literally every single piece of discontinued and removed content(hello, Singapore and pre-bb henesys) in the game's files.

I'm not joking either.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2019
    Aggraphine wrote: »
    The file size could absolutely be reduced somewhat if they didn't have this habit of leaving literally every single piece of discontinued and removed content(hello, Singapore and pre-bb henesys) in the game's files.

I'm not joking either.

This is common practice in video games sadly. Most developers don't know how to clean up after themselves.
    Nor do they know how to compress or optimize correctly.
    This is why you have games with barely any content going over 30GB and they're extremely resource heavy.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited April 2019
    Fuhreak wrote: »

I'm not joking either.

This is common practice in video games sadly. Most developers don't know how to clean up after themselves.
    Nor do they know how to compress or optimize correctly.
    This is why you have games with barely any content going over 30GB and they're extremely resource heavy.

Like Battlefront 2 and Fallout 76?
    Fuhreak
  • PirateIzzyPirateIzzy
    Reactions: 5,265
    edited May 2019

I'm not joking either.

I'll give them credit in that they have removed a lot of discontinued data, such as most of Captain Vaga's data and a lot of old event/outdated maps. Of course there's always room for improvement, such as old Silent Crusade data and plenty of unused monsters, assuming they account for any changes such as familiars.
  • WONDERGUYWONDERGUY
    Reactions: 3,370
    edited May 2019
    thats because they still use old content from time to time or use under difrent name,image instead of codeing new each time

event map was known for lag-stuck-frame drop
    because they keept all NPC there but hiden and few that they edit like (coin shop)
    they do simular thing now outside of event map (some of the reason they make summon event outside known towns like hene )

they can go remove-clean "not used parts"
    but then copy-paste future content will need to get adopted difrently in code and we will need to reinstall the game each patch

so maybe 14gb its better with smaller update size over time then 6-8gb reinstall each update

alltho right now game loads slower and slower with each update ...
    try open in same time while grind quest tab + medal tab + ( achievement if you did not crash allready)

but yea they need rework-recode maplestory (it will fix most lag and bugs) and maintain only used content
    not sure if they can aford such work now
    the stress-work dev team has each time they go thro spagheti code its crazy feels bad for them each update-patch
  • PirateIzzyPirateIzzy
    edited May 2019
    WONDERGUY wrote: »
    thats because they still use old content from time to time or use under difrent name,image instead of codeing new each time

They usually create new mob + map IDs each time they update an area, instead of reusing old ones. For example, we still have old Korean Folk Town mob data from back when the area was in the level 55-70 range, as well as the current 130-140 range (proven by the familiars that are based off the old ones). We also still have old mob IDs for all the closed off areas, including the ones that were reopened (Florina Beach, Chryse, Mushroom Castle, Omega Sector, etc).
    because they keept all NPC there but hiden and few that they edit like (coin shop)
    they do simular thing now outside of event map (some of the reason they make summon event outside known towns like hene )

It actually wasn't because of that, because towns like Henesys and Leafre have more hidden NPCs, yet those dont lag. The lag was specifically caused by Cassandra, Maple Administrator, and Gaga, which is why the event hall was created in the first place. Eventually they fixed those NPCs, thankfully.

I do agree that they need to rework the code, but it seems to be a rabbit hole they don't want to go down.
  • WONDERGUYWONDERGUY
    Reactions: 3,370
    edited May 2019
    PirateIzzy wrote: »

They usually create new mob + map IDs each time they update an area, instead of reusing old ones. For example, we still have old Korean Folk Town mob data from back when the area was in the level 55-70 range, as well as the current 130-140 range (proven by the familiars that are based off the old ones). We also still have old mob IDs for all the closed off areas, including the ones that were reopened (Florina Beach, Chryse, Mushroom Castle, Omega Sector, etc).

It actually wasn't because of that, because towns like Henesys and Leafre have more hidden NPCs, yet those dont lag. The lag was specifically caused by Cassandra, Maple Administrator, and Gaga, which is why the event hall was created in the first place. Eventually they fixed those NPCs, thankfully.

I do agree that they need to rework the code, but it seems to be a rabbit hole they don't want to go down.

i mean they keep use it because if not all but part of code its conected in a way with old one and it can break current things if not recoded

Cassandra, Maple Administrator, and Gaga was only a small issue they didnt lag-freeze-frame as much as in event hall where was lot of npcs
    you could talk to them in mini map in aqua and location where they was alone all fine
    town maps dont lag because big map and you dont load all npc untill you get enough distance

event hall didnt get fixed actuly it only got removed from hiden npcs and its not used anymore by events

but there is more isssue that makes useless data
    like tons variations of power pots ,with owl we could see all useless data

but yea rework-recode its hell to do alone, takes time and aint cheap but worth to do long term

like you cant keep upgrade fiat500 to be forumla 1 at one point you need full change-rework to keepup
  • PirateIzzyPirateIzzy
    edited May 2019

i mean they keep use it because if not all but part of code its conected in a way with old one and it can break current things if not recoded

Cassandra, Maple Administrator, and Gaga was only a small issue they didnt lag-freeze-frame as much as in event hall where was lot of npcs
    you could talk to them in mini map in aqua and location where they was alone all fine
    town maps dont lag because big map and you dont load all npc untill you get enough distance

event hall didnt get fixed actuly it only got removed from hiden npcs and its not used anymore by events

but there is more isssue that makes useless data
    like tons variations of power pots ,with owl we could see all useless data

but yea rework-recode its hell to do alone, takes time and aint cheap but worth to do long term

like you cant keep upgrade fiat500 to be forumla 1 at one point you need full change-rework to keepup

That's why I think Nexon should one day take some time to account for old mob IDs being used for familiars and replace them with the new mob IDs.

As for the 3 event NPCs, it was indeed the issue, because once they were the cause of lag in towns many years ago, and as I mentioned were the reason the Event Hall was created in the first place. Town maps such as Leafre and Boat Quay Town (rip Singapore) stopped lagging once they were removed. Plus, there are still a lot of hidden NPCs in both the Event Hall and certain town maps from old events at the moment.

I'd still like to see other useless data get removed though, just to simplify how much there is to sift through.
  • TwilightHimeTwilightHime
    Reactions: 1,245
    edited May 2019
    14 GB's is definitely a lot, and for players with slower internet connections it's quite a nightmare to download.

I don't know how much space you'd save from removing old content, but if they had a way to prioritize which files to download so that you can start playing even if the entire game hasn't finished downloading yet that would be much more appealing.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2019
    14 GB's is definitely a lot, and for players with slower internet connections it's quite a nightmare to download.

I don't know how much space you'd save from removing old content, but if they had a way to prioritize which files to download so that you can start playing even if the entire game hasn't finished downloading yet that would be much more appealing.

This isn't possible. MapleStory archieves all the game files into a few mega files. All maps into "Map.wz", "Mob.wz" etc.
    There are some of these files that have 2 or 3 versions, but the game isn't really playable unless you have the files 100% downloaded.
    It has to parse the entire file to find the one asset/resource it needs.
    This is why some plays freeze or lag whenever using an attack, entering a map or opening a menu for the first time in the session.
    The format they use is also somewhat slow so these parses take longer than they should.
    Nexon most likely has to rewrite their file format if we want smaller/faster files.
    TwilightHime