[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Switching Directional Keys to WASD

DadevilslayaDadevilslaya
Reactions: 850
edited June 2019 in Tech Support
I don't play on my laptop anymore and switched to PC but the keyboard I use is much bigger and more inconvenient. I learned that I could set the default keyboard to secondary and it even says wasd on the little picture but when I did it they directional keys are still the same. So what the hell was the point? Is it bugged? Is it something on my end?

Comments

• NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited June 2019
    The key selection you choose when creating a character decides the quickslots that appear on the bottom UI.

You cannot change the directional keys themselves.
  • DadevilslayaDadevilslaya
    Reactions: 850
    edited June 2019
    Aw... They should add the choice :(
  • fairydust101fairydust101
    Reactions: 400
    edited June 2019
    Neospector wrote: »
    The key selection you choose when creating a character decides the quickslots that appear on the bottom UI.

You cannot change the directional keys themselves.
    there is no way to change to the secondary key settings? if your left handed it's more difficult for directional keys to be on the right, at least for me.
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited June 2019
    there is no way to change to the secondary key settings? if your left handed it's more difficult for directional keys to be on the right, at least for me.

Not in Maplestory. It's an older game where you don't use the mouse much (since WASD controls are usually used for first-person games so you can aim with the mouse), so the direction keys are hardcoded. Switching to a dynamic system is possible, and Nexon has changed some keys in the past, but it would depend on how deeply the directional controls are rooted into the game, and from what I've seen it would be unlikely.

There are some left-handed keyboards sold online which might prove to be more comfortable for you in general. I do not know how common they are, however.
  • JonChockoJonChocko
    Does your new keyboard come with software for keybinding by any chance? If you have Corsair download iCUE, if you have Razor download Razer Synapse. Just look up what program your keyboard is compatable with and if it's not a big name brand keyboard with software to do so, maybe find a 3rd party keybinding program?