[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts
Closed

Old Maple: A suggestion and a hope for the future

NeoTokyoDudeNeoTokyoDude
Reactions: 1,240
edited August 2019 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
Modern day Maplestory reminds me of racism.

While reading others responses, it occurred to me that people recognize things in different ways and maybe at different times. An issue obvious to me could not be that way for someone else and vice versa. So it would seem I have more to talk about.

If anyone would like to learn more about the historical implications and ramifications of what racism means then I will leave it to the search engine of your choice. (because I have no desire to go far in the subject) But this is where I currently see parts of Maplestory. It is just a game and yet it has been taken to a sad and unpleasant place. The Old Maplestory rule, as it exists at this moment promotes an intolerant way of thinking.

Try not to misunderstand my words, there is a chance that there is a good reason to have a rule just like that. However our version of the rule was made for the specific purpose to single out one person (me, which is very ironic) and single out one specific group out of the player base (all the people other than me who wanted to make threads about Old Maplestory) I do not say this because I want to be a "victim" but to plainly explain events that already took place. In other words, I think it would be ok to make such a rule because of technical reasons but not because of what actually happened.

Another sad part among other sad parts is that New Maple is not even all that different from Old Maple. Players feel strongly about what they like so making comparisons could lead to interesting conversations. However discussions get disrupted as soon as the rule is mentioned and people react to that. Why debate anything when the rule implies the other person is wrong? Or even to do something to get a thread locked on purpose. Its not exactly racism but the current atmosphere promotes something close to it. I suppose I might have been more convincing if i had mentioned this sooner?

There was one more misconception that I wanted to get to and that is the accusation of wanting to revert or roll back anything. I have seen a lot of Old Maplestory threads and almost nobody says things like this. Maybe there could be a few but that would be an extreme minority.

After all of this history, what is it that I want and what is the suggestion that the thread was made for? My suggestion would be to take steps to create the building blocks of an inclusive community. Follow through on actions that clearly explain what is right and wrong among players of the game and users of the forum. When someone gets confused, make sure they can get an explanation of what is ok and not ok. And keep helping them no matter how long it takes. Everybody does not need to become the perfect beings but just try to instill a sense of basic ethics and values.

I hope that everyone can give it their best shot!

This is a suggestion, if you like it then good for you. Take it or leave it.
WONDERGUY

Comments

• AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited August 2019
    The Old Maplestory rule, as it exists at this moment promotes an intolerant way of thinking.

At this point I think you're just willfully blind to the fact that you alone caused that rule to be put into place. No amount of showing you how single-minded you were on the old forums, nor the new, will ever pull the wool that you cling so tightly to from over your eyes.

I try to be civil about things, but ever since that rule went into place, you've refused to believe that you had any hand in its inception. You refused to believe you were the problem back when Michael showed you those two screenshots of your started threads on the old forum(which I still have in my imgur uploads), you refused to believe when @Fuhreak showed you your started threads on this current forum.

Whatever animosity or intolerance you feel stems from your own actions and apparent inability to self-reflect and see that you are the single common denominator in every negative word said to you in the weeks or months leading up to and after that rule was put into place.

I don't understand you. I don't understand how you can inundate a forum with so many threads about the exact same thing to the point that a rule specifically has to be enacted to put a stop to it, and then think that the best way to get the rule overturned is to continue talking about the exact same thing.

Please don't waste my time by replying to me. I know how you work, you'll have a solid three paragraphs that, summed up, amounts to "I'm not the problem, you're the problem!".
    Kuronekonova
This discussion has been closed.