[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Customer Support feedback regarding merge issues.

HHG1HHG1
Reactions: 5,986
Member, Private Tester
edited August 2019 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
In the merge info of the patch notes it states:
kmZ39xP.jpg

However when I contacted support several GMs tell me that there is nothing they can do. They transferred guild leadership to me, but I am not receiving the pop-up ingame. In fact, the dialogue of the pop-up states that you can no longer change the name if the leadership of the guild changed (I checked on another character that was leader of another guild). I even asked them to confirm if this was the case prior to them transferring leadership and my question was ignored.
vF3vhfm.jpg
And several replies later, after another GM promised to investigate further and I included an old ticket detailing the same issue:
V8928GJ.jpg

That's a bit of a catch 22, isn't it?
Leader gets the pop-up but can't change it because they're inactive, so you have to contact support to transfer leadership.
The pop-up doesn't get sent to the person who takes over leadership, and support is unhelpful.
The only reason I wanted leadership was to get the name back. Which the patch notes told me I could do.
So my question is this; Why does Nexon encourage you to contact support to fix an issue that they supposedly can't do anything about.

Though I am sure they're able to, because it has been done before when Broa and Khaini merged in June 2015. It has also been done before when it comes to inappropriate guild names.
Why do I need to go through a 10+ long ticket thread just to maybe get to "Yeah, I know what you're talking about, sure we can do that, just a second".

Actually why isn't it set up better to begin with? Why would this very specific pop-up not be re-sent to the new guild leader until someone actively denies to change the name or confirms a new name.
Why isn't this done via the Maple Admin NPC for example? That way any current leader of a guild can go change the guild name (for a set period after the merge). And then support would only have to be prepared for the leadership transfer requests, which seemed fairly easy for them to do.

Artasi also said this in a downtime-thread from the June 2015 merge:
Technically the guild named "Nexon" would be able to take "MapleStory", yes. We have data from pre-merge to look into cases where this happens however.If this is something you encounter, you will need to submit a ticket to CS and they will review guild names on a case by case basis based on various factors such as size, activity, etc. We do not want a one-person guild coming in and snatching up guild names from the popular guilds pre-merge.In game, the first person to type in the name they want gets it. But this can be reviewed by our CS team upon request.
Confirming that this is very much a thing they can do manually.

There is a very clear disconnect when the patch notes tell you to contact support for a very specific issue that was investigated, confirmed and solved in 2015 but when you contact support they're not only unprepared and uninformed on what's going on, but they're also very quick to dismiss you and claim that there is nothing that can be done.
It's a very simple request with precedent, but it has been an uphill battle from start to finish.
It's unacceptable.

If anyone is interested in looking into it my ticket number is #857497. After receiving non-answers from 6 GMs so far, I have requested for it to be forwarded to a senior GM.

Here is also a ticket from 4 years ago when this exact same issue occurred and was confirmed to be a problem by GM Kabimo and GM Anhaern. #17472
It was then solved via ticket requests to change the name from the guild leaders in question. Which is the same thing I am trying to accomplish now.

Comments

• AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited August 2019
    Why does Nexon encourage you to contact support to fix an issue that they supposedly can't do anything about.

It feels like there's a disconnect between the outward-facing employees(the ones who deal with the community or post web notices) and the support monkeys.

If you guys are going to tell players to contact support for something, wouldn't it, by extension, be a wise decision to inform your farmed-out support staff that people will be coming to them about an issue and they're to solve it instead of passing the buck or stonewalling? Or is the latter just more fun?

I don't want to make people lose their jobs or insinuate that that needs to happen, but if it were me, and I was seeing people posting about support ticket horror stories on the subreddit on a relatively consistent basis, with a fairly abysmal approach to an issue occurring at least once every month or two, then I would start looking into things and dispose of weak links as necessary. I can think of two off the top of my head that ought to be shown the door. Just think, back in the KTBN days, all we had to worry about was ticket responses sounding robotic and inhuman. Now we have to deal with support ticket responses that make you feel like the person who handled your ticket is either a moron or simply didn't bother to read and comprehend the contents of the ticket before throwing out some predetermined "sorry can't help you" response.

It would do a lot to restore the faith players have in contacting support and getting their issues resolved if the support team didn't feel like such a glaring example of Hanlon's Razor.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited August 2019
    I think what the web notice meant is that you should transfer guild leadership before the merge.
    However, they did not make it clear that you must do it before the merge, for the new leader to get the pop-up.

I have forwarded this thread.
  • HHG1HHG1
    Member, Private Tester
    edited August 2019
    AKradian wrote: »
    I think what the web notice meant is that you should transfer guild leadership before the merge.
    However, they did not make it clear that you must do it before the merge, for the new leader to get the pop-up.

I have forwarded this thread.

Nothing indicated that it wouldn't be able to be sorted afterwards either way. You also wouldn't know if your guild was affected until the merge actually happened unless you logged into every server to search for them. I can't even find the other duplicate guild, tried every possible prefix.
    Any type of conflicts would be handled case by case, like Artasi said.
    Theoretically, would I have to create a new guild with the name I want on a mule and then dispute that mule's ownership of the guild to get it manually changed? Seems like a lot more work for both myself and for Nexon support than if they had just complied with the request now due to their own technical difficulties.

I also know of at least 2 cases back in 2015 where the guild leader didn't get control of the guild until after the merge and the GMs at the time confirmed that there was an issue with the pop-up not showing up for new leaders and had the names manually changed for them on request.
    The very same predicament I, and probably others, find myself in now.
  • HHG1HHG1
    Member, Private Tester
    edited August 2019
    I'm posting this update here so that others in the same situation now or in the future can use it for reference.

y1jySzC.jpg

BExmJqZ.jpg

In total it took 10+ replies from me (basically saying the same thing), 9 different GMs and one giant TLDR forum thread but finally GM Princeojd took my request seriously and had it escalated to senior GM Taezin. Big shout out to them, but it should not have taken this much work to get this very simple thing done. Support should have been more prepared for this re-occurring issue and more willing to explore possible solutions. This should have been the first reply after I provided the details of the guild and what the problem was.

I implore Nexon to revise their customer support routines and regularly update the information they have available. If I had not been so stubborn, and if I had not been around in 2015 to back my claims up, then I would likely have been out of luck.
    On the plus side, nobody threatened to cut me off from support yet.

I also still think that the guild name-change option could have been better implemented in the first place to avoid this problem. It doesn't just take up my time and energy, but it also takes up the GMs' time. Maybe you'd have a higher solved ticket rate if you didn't have to reply to me 5 times a day over an issue that is minor in comparison to others.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2019
    Thank you for following up and posting the resolution here.
  • RosalineRosaline
    Reactions: 300
    edited September 2019
    Needs More Channels in Aurora I keep getting Disconnected every 10 min -20 mins on the Burn Character!!
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited September 2019
    More channels won't help if nexon's servers are garbo ¯\_(ツ)_/¯