[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts
Closed

Just my thoughts on current game as an old player

BorgaBorga
Reactions: 1,065
edited September 2019 in General Chat
I'm an old Maplestory player, and I come back to play Maplestory time to time from nostalgia, but the game turns worse and worse.

From the start, the loading turned too slow to load. It takes about 3 minutes to get in the game, and half of the time it crashes. Restarts, restart, it's horrible.
About playing in game, I don't even have to talk about how easy it is to level up, but the system itself is too imperfect. How is this a game when I can kill 30 level high monster 2-3 shot, but cannot get an average exp because I have low level? and how is this a game when I get less exp from killing a low level monster? how does that make sense?

Hunting monsters, I get weird quest items that I never accepted, some quest navigate you and some does not, and the interface at the story telling scene is absolutely the worst. The design choice of the interface is telling me that they have not put time to design it. Most of the time, I just skip everything, or not accept the quest at all.

Also about the map design, it's just straight no. When I go to my all time favorite map Elinia, they have ruined it all. I thought this game was about adventure, but it's not. It's just leveling up. How would the developer shorten out this beautiful map? every time I hear the BGM, I'm so angry that they're wasting it.

And you know what? they have rolled back the title screen theme. No no no, just use the new one. The old one is too good to be used on this client.
They should also redesign every realistic arts of map design from the old maplestory to new one like henesys just because. And just delete the door from the building just because. Like the Sleepywood's building.

Oh by the way, I tried this new item picking up system and it's just tremendous. How awesome it is to slowly pick up an item? it's just like Nexon is forcing me to purchase pets. Nice job on that.

.....I know people are arguing that the Maplestory now is better than old one, but hey.. is this really better? Just from the nostalgia you say? mhn mhn no no no, I actually played old Maplestory and it is better. Even though I know everything about the old Maplestory, I still enjoyed longer than playing this new Maplestory.

I don't even have to speak about the BGM, they're masterpiece. Old Maple have simple quest, interface, items , "actually" hidden maps, more freedom in making choices like where to level up, what skills to pick, and stats. Also the slow leveling makes you like the character you're playing. Unlike Maplestory these days, where it is too easy to level up, make new one and new one, everyone can do what ever you do.

They should really create an old Maplestory server, and redevelop it slowly with effort, trying make masterpiece. Not everything on the old Maplestory was good. For example, I don't like Aquarium map because of it's lack of design idea. I don't like Pirates and Korean folk town for the same reason.

However, they happen to make maps like Ludibrium, El Nath, Orbis that was so beautiful. Just extending maps like that, and also extend the original maps more deeper and further.
Throw out all this stories with characters and world. The game was about freedom of adventure, not story. Just create more skill, stats and class choices of adventurer so user can have more choices in developing their character.

I hope you get what I mean. Old Maplestory was like making a good drawing on the paper, but then after big bang, the artist just used a new papers to draw quickly and quickly, making new one then new one.

Just develop the original good drawing. And when you have good idea, just extend the good drawing, not starting a new page.

I know this won't change anything. But I just wanted to share how disappointed I was of playing Maplestory now. Every game I loved is getting ruined by the new developers. Splashfighters(Server closed by stupid game maintenance), Lost Saga(Server closed by greedy and lazy developers who doesn't give a s** about loving the game itself), Elsword... I guess goodbye Maplestory too soon.

Comments

• darikdarik
    Reactions: 3,270
    edited September 2019
    What u miss isnt old maplestory , u probably miss being a kid, not having responsabilities and spending whole afternoons playing a game.with ur friends, the game is better now than it used to be, progressions is faster and getting to high lv content is easier, before it was hell,also travelling around is easier, i dont want to spend almost an hour to get to the next town, when i was a kid it was alright cuz i had a ton of free time, but now i dont.
    FuhreakJostabeereHuskyDM
  • rizariza
    Reactions: 3,025
    edited September 2019
    Borga wrote: »
    I'm an old Maplestory player, and I come back to play Maplestory time to time from nostalgia, but the game turns worse and worse.

From the start, the loading turned too slow to load. It takes about 3 minutes to get in the game, and half of the time it crashes. Restarts, restart, it's horrible.
    About playing in game, I don't even have to talk about how easy it is to level up, but the system itself is too imperfect. How is this a game when I can kill 30 level high monster 2-3 shot, but cannot get an average exp because I have low level? and how is this a game when I get less exp from killing a low level monster? how does that make sense?

Hunting monsters, I get weird quest items that I never accepted, some quest navigate you and some does not, and the interface at the story telling scene is absolutely the worst. The design choice of the interface is telling me that they have not put time to design it. Most of the time, I just skip everything, or not accept the quest at all.

Also about the map design, it's just straight no. When I go to my all time favorite map Elinia, they have ruined it all. I thought this game was about adventure, but it's not. It's just leveling up. How would the developer shorten out this beautiful map? every time I hear the BGM, I'm so angry that they're wasting it.

And you know what? they have rolled back the title screen theme. No no no, just use the new one. The old one is too good to be used on this client.
    They should also redesign every realistic arts of map design from the old maplestory to new one like henesys just because. And just delete the door from the building just because. Like the Sleepywood's building.

Oh by the way, I tried this new item picking up system and it's just tremendous. How awesome it is to slowly pick up an item? it's just like Nexon is forcing me to purchase pets. Nice job on that.

.....I know people are arguing that the Maplestory now is better than old one, but hey.. is this really better? Just from the nostalgia you say? mhn mhn no no no, I actually played old Maplestory and it is better. Even though I know everything about the old Maplestory, I still enjoyed longer than playing this new Maplestory.

I don't even have to speak about the BGM, they're masterpiece. Old Maple have simple quest, interface, items , "actually" hidden maps, more freedom in making choices like where to level up, what skills to pick, and stats. Also the slow leveling makes you like the character you're playing. Unlike Maplestory these days, where it is too easy to level up, make new one and new one, everyone can do what ever you do.

They should really create an old Maplestory server, and redevelop it slowly with effort, trying make masterpiece. Not everything on the old Maplestory was good. For example, I don't like Aquarium map because of it's lack of design idea. I don't like Pirates and Korean folk town for the same reason.

However, they happen to make maps like Ludibrium, El Nath, Orbis that was so beautiful. Just extending maps like that, and also extend the original maps more deeper and further.
    Throw out all this stories with characters and world. The game was about freedom of adventure, not story. Just create more skill, stats and class choices of adventurer so user can have more choices in developing their character.

I hope you get what I mean. Old Maplestory was like making a good drawing on the paper, but then after big bang, the artist just used a new papers to draw quickly and quickly, making new one then new one.

Just develop the original good drawing. And when you have good idea, just extend the good drawing, not starting a new page.

I know this won't change anything. But I just wanted to share how disappointed I was of playing Maplestory now. Every game I loved is getting ruined by the new developers. Splashfighters(Server closed by stupid game maintenance), Lost Saga(Server closed by greedy and lazy developers who doesn't give a s** about loving the game itself), Elsword... I guess goodbye Maplestory too soon.

I think I like the game better before. The reason why I feel that way? The game rn is a flexing contest. WHo got the best gear, arcane force and guild. Its an ego trip and the battle for popularity, reputation, etc. I think the game before you appreciated people and the game content.

People partied and enjoyed the social aspect of the game. Rn, it's all about the money and stuff that just doesn't make it maple anymore. Maplestory was all about how your story was in-game, trials, challenges, friends, and your journey to 200. You had to really socialize to meet people and have a gang. It was overall a great game.

Rn trying to do just 5% of that isn't easy as most guilds rn are looking for social but no one is social anymore. I say if the game was the way it was 2015 it would be amazing.

Like a wise mapler once said "Make Maple Great Again"
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2019
    riza wrote: »
    I think I like the game better before. The reason why I feel that way? The game rn is a flexing contest. WHo got the best gear, arcane force and guild. Its an ego trip and the battle for popularity, reputation, etc. I think the game before you appreciated people and the game content.
    The game was this in the old days too. Don't pretend it wasn't. Everyone was rushing for 200 or if not 200 they were trying to outgear their friends with scrolls.
    "Battle for popularity" do you not remember all the people constantly begging for fame? The game is more or less the same in this regard.
    People partied and enjoyed the social aspect of the game. Rn, it's all about the money and stuff that just doesn't make it maple anymore. Maplestory was all about how your story was in-game, trials, challenges, friends, and your journey to 200. You had to really socialize to meet people and have a gang. It was overall a great game.

This is somewhat the same as well. The focus is just on bossing and the journey to 250/275.
    Try watching youtube videos of people boss, there's plenty of social aspects left. The issue is that they're after 200, which is a real turn off for new players.
    Also for those people who don't mind slower but more social grind, those players are few and far between with no way to connect t
    Before it was easy enough because there were so few maps and mobility/AoEs weren't as good.
    Now the benefits from party play aren't as clear, and there are so many maps good luck running into one of these people that would actually use it.

MapleStory is better than it has ever been. The community needs to let go of their nostalgia.
    Nexon needs to bring back certain stuff but that's not the same thing.

Edit: Oh and.
    They should really create an old Maplestory server, and redevelop it slowly with effort, trying make masterpiece
    I'd suggest you don't mention that unless you want your threads locked and yourself banned.
    Arch_Alyssa
  • darikdarik
    Reactions: 3,270
    edited September 2019
    Fuhreak wrote: »
    riza wrote: »
    The game was this in the old days too. Don't pretend it wasn't. Everyone was rushing for 200 or if not 200 they were trying to outgear their friends with scrolls.
    "Battle for popularity" do you not remember all the people constantly begging for fame? The game is more or less the same in this regard.

This is somewhat the same as well. The focus is just on bossing and the journey to 250/275.
    Try watching youtube videos of people boss, there's plenty of social aspects left. The issue is that they're after 200, which is a real turn off for new players.
    Also for those people who don't mind slower but more social grind, those players are few and far between with no way to connect t
    Before it was easy enough because there were so few maps and mobility/AoEs weren't as good.
    Now the benefits from party play aren't as clear, and there are so many maps good luck running into one of these people that would actually use it.

MapleStory is better than it has ever been. The community needs to let go of their nostalgia.
    Nexon needs to bring back certain stuff but that's not the same thing.

Edit: Oh and.
    They should really create an old Maplestory server, and redevelop it slowly with effort, trying make masterpiece
    I'd suggest you don't mention that unless you want your threads locked and yourself banned.

No one wants an old ms server because no one likes that or nearly no one,if it was relevant nexon would have made one long time ago, but they dont cuz people miss being young, not the game itself, the moment they try old maplestory as an adult theyll realise this and nexon doesnt want , in my.opinion at least, to invest in a game that after a few weeks of popularity, nearly no one will play because of slow progression , being static , spending too much time traveling around, low damage, extremelly long pqs etc etc
    FuhreakAaronHuskyArch_Alyssa
This discussion has been closed.