[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts
Closed

Players returning from hiatus: which server?

PoplmonPoplmon
Reactions: 850
edited March 2020 in General Chat
Curse the title limit. My full question is, how does a player returning from a hiatus decide which server to play on?

I played a lot on regular servers, and I still have my main who I have a lot of time and money invested into. Part of the reason I love playing this game is my character, as dumb as that may sound. That being said, a year or so ago I sold all my gear and quit, so I'm really left behind in terms of content and gear (500k clean, 750k buff) and don't want to spend all that money to get caught back up...

On the other hand, there's Reboot. I came back to the game about 3-4 days ago and have been playing on Reboot. I don't have much going on, not even a level 200 character. This fact makes me want to get on my main and do what I have to on her.... but I can't, because the server is different and the gear grind and such at that point is so different between regular and Reboot that I find myself stuck.

I want to play Reboot, but I want to know my efforts will be going somewhere. I'm scared of reaching a point on all my Reboot characters where they all need a carry that I can't get because I have no community anymore. I joined a guild, a pretty active one too; but I almost feel as if I'm just a source of GP and contrib to them. If there are any returning players reading this, what did you do? How did you decide?

Comments

• Penguinz0Penguinz0
    Reactions: 3,220
    edited March 2020
    Unless you're really ready to dedicate a large portion of your life into playing this game, just join regular servers. It will take a long time for one to settle in Reboot server. In reboot, killing mobs in one shot requires much higher stats than in reg server. To get to that stat, you're gonna have to enhance your gears very well by yourself. Not only that, you have to acquire geras you need, like CRA sets, by defeating CRA bosses yourself. This is kinda like gears you need to climb a mountain is on top of the mountain. You normally need CRA sets to defeat CRA bosses easily, but, in reboot, you have to defeat them with temporary low-tier gears. This is why getting carries in reboot is important in reboot, because if you want to straight solo it, you have spend a lot of time and a lot of meso to enhance low tier gears, and then have to spend more time and even more meso to enhance your final gears when you do get them. It's a whole lot of work, and I was not into that. Not to mention that because getting one shot kill on mobs is harder task, leveling up your legion and link skills are gonna be much slower in reboot as well.
    Also, this is the worst time to join reboot server because byebye kanna, the most efficient way of farming meso in reboot, is gonna get deleted. So getting settled in reboot is gonna be much harder now.
    MapleBishopFan85
  • PoplmonPoplmon
    edited March 2020
    Penguinz0 wrote: »
    It's a whole lot of work, and I was not into that.

MapleStory is a lot of work in general. It's unreasonable to think I'd be getting into this game without working for it. I'd rather bust my ass and earn my gear through farming and grinding than paying my way to it like I did before.

I've spent some time on Reboot, and I keep hearing about how much mesos is needed. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's a lot. But over the course of trying to find a new main to settle in while having a pet on the character I'm playing, I'm farming up a decent amount of mesos.
    Also, this is the worst time to join reboot server because byebye kanna, the most efficient way of farming meso in reboot, is gonna get deleted. So getting settled in reboot is gonna be much harder now.

I've not touched this Bye Bye Kanna farming tactic; though I have seen plenty of people on Reddit complaining about its removal/saying it won't be removed/asking if it's been removed yet. I'm sure I'm not aware of how much it'll cost as I'm not heavily cubing or anything yet, but I feel comfortable where I'm at.
    This is why getting carries in reboot is important

I don't feel like this is hard to achieve. I see people asking for carries over smega all the time. Not to mention how easy it can be to get into a guild (depending on which one you apply to). My wallet still hurts after what I put it through on my main. I don't feel like doing that again. Asking for a carry isn't really a big deal to me. I'd rather do that than pay my way to legendary 3L.

If reg servers work for you, then go for it man. Play the game how you want. I also recognize that you can f2p the reg servers, it just takes a lot of time and dedication. When it comes down to it though, is Reboot or regular more work when f2p? Is there any value in someone like me going back to a [potentially] dead server to a main that has no relevance in the meta now?
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2020
    If you're worried about not being able to continue on reboot, don't. I play the game pretty casually (2-4 hours each day, sue me if you don't think that's casual)
    I've gotten myself to the point where I can solo Damien/Lotus on my main;
    While never having any carries and actually avoiding most GMS content like Gollux/Kanna/Totems/GhostShipBadge.
    If you actually use the tools GMS gives you and contribute to a guild, you should be able to make decent amounts of progress in a small period of time.
    The only reason I took so long to get to the point I'm at (around 3 years) is because I play in a really weird and dumb way (asking most people anyway.)

As far as harder/easier...

Free to play servers have:
    Easier Legion, Easier 1-200 (And probably 200-250), Easier Meso Earning, Easier to obtain Gear (Auction house), More Options for Upgrading Gear
    Easier Bossing (Because of gear), Overpowered CS Items

Reboot has:
    Easier 250+ leveling, Bigger Community, Less dependency on real world money.

In the f2p vs Reboot, early game is much easier on a f2p server. Late game is (currently) easier on Reboot as far as grind goes.
    Bossing is harder in reboot, the popular consensus seems to be that hard black mage isn't even possible on reboot due to our gear.
    If you have time to burn, I would suggest reboot. If you can't play very often or just want to ez mode, play regular servers and just spend money.
  • TwilightHimeTwilightHime
    Reactions: 1,245
    edited March 2020
    I think a huge wall that regular servers run into is accessibility to black cubes.

Whenever I land on a 2L pot I'm always hesitant to roll again cause who knows when I'll get a 2L again and risk losing a bunch of range. Even rolling for 2L epics for my mules, sometimes I go through a hundred occults without getting anything at all. Having access to flames and black/red cubes via mesos really makes things a lot easier later on.

Regular server players have their favorite examples of "f2p players" that hit 60k 70k stat hitting damage cap without "spending much at all" but I don't how much they consider to be "not much", or how much time they had spent on the game to reach that point. I remember seeing some videos of a 275 mercedes in scania that was hitting 10b per line and I think she spent 4-5 years on that character to get to that point.
  • PoplmonPoplmon
    edited October 2020
    So, I've had some time with this, and I have to say that I've more or less moved over to Reboot.

When I made this post, the BM I currently main was around 12x-14x. I didn't really have anything going for me. At this point, I'm coming back from a few months hiatus. Right now, I have about 1.9m buffed range, 8k stat, and feel so much better about what I achieved. Being able to spend my mesos on cubes was amazing, because then I could spend all the IRL money I wanted on cosmetics. (Terrible idea, but you're not my real dad, and I like playing dress up.) People who complain about the grind really don't understand this game.
  • KororeKorore
    Reactions: 1,670
    Member, Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited October 2020
    Poplmon wrote: »
    So, I've had some time with this, and I have to say that I've more or less moved over to Reboot.

When I made this post, the BM I currently main was around 12x-14x. I didn't really have anything going for me. At this point, I'm coming back from a few months hiatus. Right now, I have about 1.9m buffed range, 8k stat, and feel so much better about what I achieved. Being able to spend my mesos on cubes was amazing, because then I could spend all the IRL money I wanted on cosmetics. (Terrible idea, but you're not my real dad, and I like playing dress up.) People who complain about the grind really don't understand this game.

Hi! This is a rather old post from back in March, so I will be closing it but I will leave your reply here just in case there are others that have the same question. Thank you!
    MapleBishopFan85
This discussion has been closed.