[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Stop Maintenances

GomenasaiGomenasai
Reactions: 1,295
edited April 2020 in General Chat
The entire game is crashing, channels keep crashing every 5-10mins, so many.... just so many smegas that basically, all of them are saying the same thing....

"Stop Maintenances"! we, the players, are not interested in Maintenances every single week, you know what? how about once 3 weeks? or 2 weeks?

But every single week to have a maintenance that would simply cause us more troubles, bugs, crashes, etc....? No Thanks.

And please do not get us wrong, we're not saying we want to stop maintenances forever, just instead of having one once a week, how about every 2 weeks? or 3?

What is your opinion?
WONDERGUY
  1. How many times do you want maintenance?26 votes
    1. Once a week (just like nowadays)
       54% (14 votes)
    2. Once every 2 weeks
       23% (6 votes)
    3. Every single day to fix the crashes (that's absolutely a joke)
       23% (6 votes)

Comments

• AlbinorockAlbinorock
    Reactions: 2,205
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2020
    Lmao is this your first time playing maplestory? I've played this game for 15 years and i remember this one time where for a whole week there was a maint going on. Everysingle day for 7 days straight. It's nexon, it's maplestory, there will always be extensions and many maintenance. Just have to deal with it.
    WONDERGUY
  • PokerStarPokerStar
    Reactions: 860
    edited April 2020
    Whats wrong with having a maintance everyweek? Is the best way to improve the game weekly
    HuskyDMWONDERGUYFuhreakNaokiYinYangX
  • GomenasaiGomenasai
    Reactions: 1,295
    edited April 2020
    Albinorock wrote: »
    Lmao is this your first time playing maplestory? I've played this game for 15 years and i remember this one time where for a whole week there was a maint going on. Everysingle day for 7 days straight. It's nexon, it's maplestory, there will always be extensions and many maintenance. Just have to deal with it.

What exactly are you trying to say? I know there were times when we had maintanence every single day for a straight week, but you're basically just talking about history and what happened before and that there is no way to fix it cause "this is Nexon".

I disagree.
    I say we can make a change, very easily, make less maintanences, who decided that we have to have maintanence every single week? therefore I disagree with you.
    PokerStar wrote: »
    Whats wrong with having a maintance everyweek? Is the best way to improve the game weekly

But as you can see, we're always having new troubles after weekly maintanence.
  • link37890link37890
    Reactions: 1,430
    edited April 2020
    Gomenasai wrote: »
    Lmao is this your first time playing Maplestory? I've played this game for 15 years and i remember this one time where for a whole week there was a maint going on. Every single day for 7 days straight. It's Nexon, it's Maplestory, there will always be extensions and many maintenance. Just have to deal with it.

What exactly are you trying to say? I know there were times when we had maintenance every single day for a straight week, but you're basically just talking about history and what happened before and that there is no way to fix it cause "this is Nexon".

I disagree.
    I say we can make a change, very easily, make less maintenances, who decided that we have to have maintenance every single week? therefore I disagree with you.
    PokerStar wrote: »
    Whats wrong with having a maintenance every week? Is the best way to improve the game weekly

But as you can see, we're always having new troubles after weekly maintenance.

Obviously they're having trouble finding every bug until it hits the live server, and when it does; they have many players to report on them as opposed to whatever team they have currently. They then extend maint. to fix said bugs. Not having maint. would lead to a bug ridden mess that doesn't get fixed at all. If anything it's major updates that can cause issues, and that's why they have such long times to begin with for initial maint. Yes; it's annoying to have these problems, but would you rather them just go unsolved, and have things just not working or working improperly? or have them fixed, but not be able to play for a bit? Either way you're potentially losing time; whether to rubberbanding causing your items to disappear, glitches causing them to lose lines of potential or reset star force, etc. Or just not being able to play for a bit while Maint. is going on.
    WONDERGUYFuhreak
  • AlbinorockAlbinorock
    Reactions: 2,205
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2020
    You can disagree with me all you like but it is a fact. It is Nexon and it won't be changed. Almost every MMO runs maints weekly to keep the game healthy. MapleStory however is a badly optimized game so it's a bit hard to keep it healthy with hackers hacking into it and such. You can be clueless if you want bud and "try to fix it" but you can't. Deal with it like i said.
    WONDERGUYFuhreak
  • BBQTimeBBQTime
    Reactions: 1,080
    edited April 2020

He has a point, I'm really getting tired of it, every update we have yet a new problem, whether is glitch or just crashing....
    WONDERGUY
  • WONDERGUYWONDERGUY
    Reactions: 3,370
    edited April 2020
    1.maintenance is needed weekly
    2. what nexon do is not allways maintenance alltho its named as maintenance its often update/patch
    3.nexon needs test server like KMST before update/patch goes to live server and maplers wont act as testers on live servers each update

without that just get used to this sh.t fest around or come back to maplestory in 1-2days
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited April 2020
    Ah yes, a patch goes sideways and the resident armchair expert on legacy code, server infrastructure and the maintenance practices thereof comes out of the woodwork to gripe about how things would be perfect if you'd just treat rack servers the exact same as a home PC and simply never restart it.

As if that would magically make everything work perfectly.
    FuhreakMageOfBattles
  • HuskyDMHuskyDM
    Reactions: 3,745
    edited April 2020
    Having weekly maintenance is perfect. Most live-service like games have a weekly patch to keep the game on its best legs, and for a game as old as MapleStory, with spaghetti legacy code the more the better. With the latest patch in KMS they are also updating old stuff like the PIC keyboard that has been there since I remember MS. If you wanted MS to be completely crash free after a patch then we will need a month long maintenance with a lot of crunch for the devs, which isn't ideal.
  • TrixiathTrixiath
    Reactions: 310
    edited April 2020
    There is so much crashing going on, the problem is the servers they run not weekly maintenance.
    WONDERGUY
  • HHG1HHG1
    Reactions: 5,986
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2020
    I knew I had seen this incredibly bad take before.

http://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/27046/enough-is-enough

Edit: I'll reiterate for convenience.
    What you want is not less weekly scheduled maintenances, because that's a stupid request.
    But you want there to be less bugs after a content-patch, which can be really hit-or-miss. Content patches are not part of the weekly scheduled maintenances. This time there was a huge amount of non-KMS content involved, in addition to the anniversary content and changes that involve the login-server. Nobody is surprised that a lot of things are broken.

Stopping weekly maintenances isn't going to change any of that. What you could be advocating for is more rigorous testing of new content. But even then some things can break once it goes live. And the game would still need frequent maintenance.

Or do you just not want any new content ever?
    WONDERGUYHuskyDMAggraphineMageOfBattlesDreamWeaver
  • OkitsMsOkitsMs
    Reactions: 885
    edited April 2020
    I think stopping weekly maintenances is a bad idea lol since they're there for a reason. If it's already so unstable with having weekly maintenances, I cannot imagine what the game would be like after a big patch with fewer maintenances.
    WONDERGUY
  • WONDERGUYWONDERGUY
    edited April 2020
    and one more dj khaled :) rushed just to mitgate the server issue a bit better (its not good sign when there is rushed one like this)
    also all other issue will be on painfull hold for sure...
    ( everything would have been different with GMST have fun now code on spot everything last min )
    http://maplestory.nexon.net/news/57468/unscheduled-maintenance-april-22-2020

change the title to Stop updates/patchs thats not tested (updates/patch that nexon is calling maintenance) so other wont just talk bad on this when you got a good point
  • ItsD1stItsD1st
    Reactions: 300
    I've been playing this game for many years,Just recently coming back after a 4 year break and the same issues from before still exist.Im not complaining about maintenance,Just saying they still havent fixed most issues.

Still love Maple though Lol
  • MGTMGT
    Reactions: 235
    Aggraphine wrote: »
    Ah yes, a patch goes sideways and the resident armchair expert on legacy code, server infrastructure and the maintenance practices thereof comes out of the woodwork to gripe about how things would be perfect if you'd just treat rack servers the exact same as a home PC and simply never restart it.

As if that would magically make everything work perfectly.

Thank you so much for this post. I'm glad that you and a couple others here also understand something about IT infrastructure, software development life cycles etc.

I get that it is frustrating from an end user's perspective when there is server/network instability or when a buggy patch has been deployed. However, I am always taken back by the amount of ignorant and self entitled people that default to 'Nexon is incompetent' rather than providing something constructive. Nothing is more annoying than someone trying to dictate how things should be run when they have no idea what they are talking about and can only provide their professional opinion as a consumer.
    FuhreakTropismTap1okaDreamWeaver
  • TropismTropism
    Reactions: 1,415
    edited April 2020

Same lol!!
  • DreamWeaverDreamWeaver
    Reactions: 1,435
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2020
    There's a really easy fix for OP's complaint: he can just not play the game anymore. As someone who has played MS on and off since 2007, I can say that maintainince times aren't nearly as long as they used to be.
    HuskyDMFuhreak
  • WONDERGUYWONDERGUY
    edited April 2020
    There's a really easy fix for OP's complaint: he can just not play the game anymore. As someone who has played MS on and off since 2007, I can say that maintainince times aren't nearly as long as they used to be.

hahaha each "maintenance" update/patch is longer and more broken then last one (not included usc following up...)

btw

thank you all for being testers on live server the last 2-3days for familiar and golux
    sorry you get to deal with some loss maybe bebe box will fix that :)

feels good to only watch MS from side and play cod warzone (120gb file game,first release in 2003 and bunch of reworks/updates, 70-100FPS on high settings,no major lag or server crash, spend 15$+- on battle pass(i could without that pass ) etc etc...) i dont want to see my pc is bad,game code is old,my net is bad... bla bla till MS its fixed to some playable lvl am staying in warzone

also feelsbad for the team that works overtime and recode things last min just because someone copy pasted something without test/chek and made disaster