[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

MY INTERNET SAYS MAPLESTORY WEBSITE IS NOT SAFE

darikdarik
Reactions: 3,270
edited June 2020 in General Chat
For some reasonn, and its been goinng on for a very loooong time already, when i enter in maplestory website, my browser says its not a safe one, idk why, but it should be looked into.

Comments

• AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited June 2020
    I haven't had any issues on chrome or firefox. Maybe you're using a crap browser or it's your antivirus being stupid.
  • JingleberryJingleberry
    Reactions: 230
    edited June 2020
    The reason why the browser shows this site is not secure is that they aren't using an HTTPS connection to secure the traffic. However, if you are accessing their NX purchase store, you can see that it is a secure connection. The difference between a secured and unsecured is that the traffic would be encrypted by a certificate. My guess is that since the main site is largely informational and does not actually contain any sensitive data, they didn't feel the need to have HTTPS setup.
    darikSlicedTime
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited June 2020
    The reason why the browser shows this site is not secure is that they aren't using an HTTPS connection to secure the traffic. However, if you are accessing their NX purchase store, you can see that it is a secure connection. The difference between a secured and unsecured is that the traffic would be encrypted by a certificate. My guess is that since the main site is largely informational and does not actually contain any sensitive data, they didn't feel the need to have HTTPS setup.

That's pretty much spot-on to what I've seen. Login, account settings, billing, and support are all secure pages. Everything else, there's no significant need for it.
  • JingleberryJingleberry
    Reactions: 230
    edited June 2020
    Aggraphine wrote: »

That's pretty much spot-on to what I've seen. Login, account settings, billing, and support are all secure pages. Everything else, there's no significant need for it.

Having said that I think all sites should be secured anyways because people lose trust when they see something like "not secured" showing up when accessing a website. Seeing all the privacy issues being surfaced in recent years, I think all data should be protected, but they are probably fixing a billion other bugs so this one is probably low on their priority list.
    darikSlicedTime
  • darikdarik
    edited June 2020
    Thing is forums do share some data and still isnt a secure website.
  • rizariza
    Reactions: 3,025
    edited June 2020
    darik wrote: »
    For some reasonn, and its been goinng on for a very loooong time already, when i enter in maplestory website, my browser says its not a safe one, idk why, but it should be looked into.

Well from my tech experience could be a virus or a plugin you downloaded. I say to maybe uninstall any new plugins you installed and try it, if it doesn't work then you can uninstall browser and reinstall. if you have saved stuff on it it should be all saved with your Gmail.

That what I would think that would cause it, but gl with your browser issue. ;)
  • KrimlockKrimlock
    Reactions: 1,840
    edited June 2020
    riza wrote: »

Well from my tech experience could be a virus or a plugin you downloaded. I say to maybe uninstall any new plugins you installed and try it, if it doesn't work then you can uninstall browser and reinstall. if you have saved stuff on it it should be all saved with your Gmail.

Its been going on after a web site maint was done its nothing to do with browsers its on all of them chrome,firefox,edge,bling when you go to the main website it has up there where the https supposed to be there is instead a Not secure label there BUT! when logging in its locked up tight!

so its nothing to do with the browsers or anti virus or plug in cause it says the same thing on my cellphone that this website is not secure dont believe me just go to any nexon main webpage for their game not NEXON mainpage but the games webpage. (minus counter strike that goes right to steam and its secure XD) this has been ongoing for about 4+ years now its nothing new your info is safe as long as you not putting info in forum posts...i hope?
  • ApocalyptianApocalyptian
    Reactions: 2,330
    edited June 2020
    It's never been safe....for your health or sanity lol!
    Hey you know I wasn't the only one thinking it! Lol!
    Dnaman101
  • SlicedTimeSlicedTime
    Reactions: 1,720
    edited June 2020
    Aggraphine wrote: »

Having said that I think all sites should be secured anyways because people lose trust when they see something like "not secured" showing up when accessing a website. Seeing all the privacy issues being surfaced in recent years, I think all data should be protected, but they are probably fixing a billion other bugs so this one is probably low on their priority list.

I think it's a bit inexcusable that they are not using HTTPS everywhere, seeing as they already have perfectly valid SSL certificates used in a bunch of places. What's more is that the forum is still utilizing Flash to some extent (might be just a dangling dependency), even though Chrome, and AFAIK a bunch of other browsers have automatically blocked Flash for quite a while now.

I'd also guess that the people responsible of maintaining the game are different from the people maintaining the website given that those are often a bit different skill sets, but that could be one valid reason that the forums are lagging behind on that front.
  • darikdarik
    edited June 2020
    riza wrote: »

Its not a virus nor a pluging cuz it appears exactly the same on a brand new computer i juat bought.
    SlicedTime
  • Dnaman101Dnaman101
    Reactions: 2,025
    edited June 2020
    It's never been safe....for your health or sanity lol!
    Hey you know I wasn't the only one thinking it! Lol!

Best post!