[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

The Problem with The Umbra

TikusTikus
Reactions: 700
edited August 2020 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
1. Sand rats damage are too high, they literally one-shot some of my LV60-100 mules, and I have to keep spamming pots on those that survive the hit. They spawn every few minute or so, it is frustrating because I lost many MVP buff and have to recast buffs every I go in. I have since started to leave the map once they spawn and re-enter for them to despawn, this way I can avoid dying but I do not kill the Sand Rats (point 2).

Someone mentioned that we can put legion blocks in HP to tank the hits, but isn't it ironic that people choose The Umbra because they need more legion blocks, and they need those blocks beforehand in order not to die? Someone also mentioned that shared party buffs like Hyper Body and Mihile buffs can keep you alive, but I don't think its fair to expect a explorer warrior or Mihile to always be present in the map.

2. Players that picked the Umbra have the slowest point capping speed, you need to have 3 characters on full duration (~1 to 1.5 hour) to reach the cap. This is very unfair against other skills, which caps at at most 30 minutes. You have to kill the Sand Rats mentioned above to gain points, killing normal mobs do not gain points. As I do not want to risk my mules' buffs to kill the Sand Rats, I have to use my main and sub-main, which are over LV200 to cap points, which is a waste of time as characters pass 200 did not gain much EXP.

3. Holy Symbol buff is also not working when casted by other players, it keeps mentioning that I moved away from the caster, with the map this small I don't think that is even possible. I don't know if this is a bug or not, but if it is intended, please make it so that other players don't receive the non-functioning buff, my Phantom has to recast every minute or so as it get replaced by it. Also if it is intended, please mention it somewhere in the patch notes because saying that all buffs are shared among players is a straight out lie.

Honestly this Umbra has so much potential to be a good event, but at its current state it is really tilting to train there. We are also forced to train there in order to cap coins. Please, even just nerfing the Sand Rat would improve my enjoyment by a lot. I have since sent a ticket regarding the Sand Rat and the Holy Symbol, but I still post it here for people that are planning to choose Umbra for the following week. If nothing is changed before next week, I don't think there is any reason to choose Umbra, and I hope this post will help someone make a better choice.

Comments

• sushi1000sushi1000
    Reactions: 610
    edited August 2020
    bump.

It's super annoying when the sand rats are the only way to cap in umbra, and they kill most of my mules in 1 hit.
    Plz lower the sand rats damage nexon!
  • Xemon88Xemon88
    Reactions: 900
    edited August 2020
    I too am having issues with sand rats insta killing my characters below 140, I have good gear and weapons but instantly one shot by them every time. The rats need to spawn more often as well, im barely getting anything but xp from umbra which shows you didn't even bother to test this out before going live nexon, pathetic. You should also nerf the sand dwarves, they are way too powerful for some classes where others they are a walk in the park.
  • RunicRunic
    Reactions: 550
    edited September 2020
    Bumping this one. It is grossly unfair to pick umbra and be screwed over like this. You make about 2 coins per rat spawn, and the rats will kill most characters under 200, thus making the entire thing an exercise in frustration. For those poor souls who can't kill them, they can't make coins. The entire thing feels unfair.

They need to make every enemy at least give 1 point so people have a chance at capping.
  • WoShiWoShi
    Reactions: 300
    edited September 2020
    Umbra is definitely trash and could be better, but solutions to your problems are simple.
    HP Issue
    It is ironic for you to use your legion, but it doesn't require a lot of legion blocks to fill up the HP slot.
    You can use Zakum Helm to boost your HP

Coin Cap
    Do Princess Parade, only a few people do it and it makes it easier to cap coins or just simply AFK on the hot air balloons.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited September 2020
    If it makes you feel better, this is apparently slated to be fixed tomorrow during maintenance.
  • ADeliColdCutADeliColdCut
    Reactions: 620
    Hello everyone:

I know this message is a little late and I don't mean to revive a topic that was on its way out, but the support team directed me to make a comment in this location on the matter as a response to a ticket I submitted to them...

Let me start off by saying that I have thoroughly enjoyed this Astral Blessings event, as it has been a great opportunity to boost various aspects of my account. I believe most people will concur with this.

Back to the main issue of this thread, as I quote the original author of the thread:
    Tikus wrote: »

2. Players that picked the Umbra have the slowest point capping speed, you need to have 3 characters on full duration (~1 to 1.5 hour) to reach the cap. This is very unfair against other skills, which caps at at most 30 minutes. You have to kill the Sand Rats mentioned above to gain points, killing normal mobs do not gain points. As I do not want to risk my mules' buffs to kill the Sand Rats, I have to use my main and sub-main, which are over LV200 to cap points, which is a waste of time as characters pass 200 did not gain much EXP.

Honestly this Umbra has so much potential to be a good event, but at its current state it is really tilting to train there. We are also forced to train there in order to cap coins. Please, even just nerfing the Sand Rat would improve my enjoyment by a lot. I have since sent a ticket regarding the Sand Rat and the Holy Symbol, but I still post it here for people that are planning to choose Umbra for the following week. If nothing is changed before next week, I don't think there is any reason to choose Umbra, and I hope this post will help someone make a better choice.

This point #2 really has not been addressed, and I also have some adjustments to the data mentioned that I think represent some of the "Hidden" harms that a player incurs through this Umbra Room problem.

While the decision by Nexon to address the high damage output of the Sand Rats (SR) certainly made the Umbra Room a more viable option, what has been overlooked and lacks redress is the matter of the impact that a failure to cap each day in the earlier days of the event create a compounded delay on future benefits.

The adjustment to SR damage provided a benefits only to those that made the Umbra selection after the first week, but many people that selected Umbra the first week suffered a harm without a remedy.

Grossly simplified Example (Ignoring Firestarter, Cassandra, and the Princess Parade for the math below - I am well aware that these items do impact that results with the progression rates, but the point of this argument is to illustrate the disparity between the event path selections caused by the initial Umbra Room setup)

Player 1
    Week 1: Player acquires 200/700 coins (Umbra - From my experience, I leveled 5x characters in one day using Umbra room for 2.5 hours and I walked away with about 25-30 coins)
    Week 2: Player acquired 700/700 coins (Surge - Using the Surge buff 20 times for 2000 monsters killed while training)
    Week 3: Player acquires 700/700 coins (Unending - Turning in 1 Arcane River daily per day)
    Week 4: -

Player 2
    Week 1: Player acquires 700/700 coins (Unending - Turning in 1 Arcane River daily per day)
    Week 2: Player acquired 700/700 coins (Surge - Using the Surge buff 20 times for 2000 monsters killed while training)
    Week 3: Player acquires 700/700 coins (Umbra - I do not possess data on how quickly or easily one could cap coins with the new SR damage setup but I am assuming one who puts 5 mules through Umbra a day would hit cap. Please correct me if the coin income still isn't sufficient for this)
    Week 4: -

At the end of week 1
    Player 1
    200/700 coins, Rank C on day 7, zero skill points

Player 2
    On day 3, 1 skill point (Can add for more symbols or for +5% Experience)
    On day 6, Rank B achieved
    On day 6, 1 skill point (Now either +2 symbols or +10% Experience, or a split between...)

I'm just using the Experience and Symbols selections for reference to keep this as simple as I can.

You can see that the first player has been severely impacted as the bonuses provided early compound each day. Further, the ability to level mules inside of the Umbra would have been better each day after Day 3 had the coin cap been more realistic.

Jumping to end of Week 3
    Player 1
    We have 1600 coin total at the end of week 3.
    With this, the player doesn't hit Rank B until the 11th day of the event!
    Player would not hit Rank S until day 26 of the event. (I believe the event is 27 or 28 days in total)
    Player 1 has 5 skill points (+15% and +2 symbols or +10% and +3 symbols)

Player 2
    Has 2100 coin total.
    Rank S occurs on day 22 of the event.
    Player 2 has 7 skill points (+3 symbols, +15% experience, and upon Rank S can either get boss coupons or +10% more experience for +25% total)

Using the Experience skill point selections:
    (Player 2 gets skill point on day 3)
    Player 2 has +3 days of +5% experience over Player 1
    Player 2 gets skill point on day 6)
    Player 2 has +2 days of +10% experience over Player 1
    (Player 1 gets 1 skill point on day 8, thus reducing the differential)
    Player 2 then has +1 day of +5% experience over Player 1
    (Player 2 gets 3rd skill point on day 9)
    Player 2 then has +2 days of +10% experience over player 1
    (Player 1 gets 2nd skill point on day 11)
    Player 2 then has +1 day of +5% experience over Player 1
    (Player 1 gets 3rd skill point on day 12)
    Both players achieve +15% experience until Day 22
    (Player 2 can apply skill point on day 22 into Rank S level for +10%)
    Player 2 then has +4 days of +10% experience over Player 1
    (Player 1 can apply skill point on day 26 into Rank S level for +10%)
    Both players achieve +25% experience until end of event

In total, Player 2 has:

+5 days of +5% experience over Player 1;
    +8 days of +10% experience over Player 1;

That's 13 days of diminished experience gains, which for people grinding is a significant chunk of added value. This example only shows the harm specifically related to this one area, but this concept can be applied to loss of symbols, or any other benefits (Example, the delayed rank up later impacts Surge stacking buff

The point I am making is that many players that were offered the 3 paths were not sufficiently informed about this hidden issue with the Umbra path that hurt them in a manner that you cannot claim they "made their decision and should just deal with the consequences."

I know the current maintenance is giving compensation for the previous maintenance that caused people to d/c and lose certain buffs and progress, but I think that there should be a compensation still for people who made the Umbra selection the first week as they suffered a compounded harm that the other selections did not suffer.

I demand nothing in this message, I only wish to put my thoughts out there for consideration as it is clear Nexon has admitted that the SR were overpowered and needed fixing, but this fix only provided a benefit to the future entrants into that room, it did nothing for those that had already used the room for the 1 week in which there was this issue.

I hope you all have a great rest of your day!

Kind regards,

Character: ADeliColdCut
    Character Level: 233
    Character Class: Adele
    Server: Reboot (GMS)