[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Server Bandwidth Boost, Reduce KMS Content Gap

SenzuBeanSenzuBean
Reactions: 775
edited January 2021 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
Server Upgrade, Merging Servers

50% of GMS is playing on reboot, but the server just can't handle it.
Many issues can be solved with a better server because as it stands maplestory has a physical population cap gated by the prehistoric servers that can barely serve a population of less than 10k
The population is pretty dead, but that's not to say it's dying. It actually seems to be improving over time but with max Reboot capacity lag and 4 premium non-reboot empty as fk servers..
There's a high chance that these servers will be the end of GMS and not the playerbase

Why better servers? To implement two fixes

1> Erase lag, boost server stability, increase player capacity
- The servers host a low amount of players, but it can't even handle less than 10k players with 5k on Reboot, not to mention Reboot crashes everytime there's a massive event like DMT. The server is reaching the limits to it's computation and needs to be fixed to let in more people. I believe maplestory is far from over.

2> Implement Non-Reboot Server Merge (All servers into 1)
-Take all normal servers and merge... hold on read below
- THERE IS ONLY ONE REASON WHY PEOPLE OPPOSE A SERVER MERGE: LAG AND TAKEN MAPS
Anytime a server approaches more than 15% GMS server pop on that server the server lags
If we fix the server there's nothing to complain about.

-There only leaves full maps.
Honestly this point is a bit annoying, but it's not a reason to oppose a higher population given that the higher population is a mere couple thousand.
Just hit a different map, the game is suffering in pop and it will continue to do so if the servers aren't seen as full.
4 Servers all empty as fk is not a good look for a new player.
We have to centralize Reboot and Non-Reboot Worlds to each have their own World and this is possible with a Server Upgrade

Abridging the KMS Content Gap
There was one reason why people gave up GMS for KMS, and if we want GMS to thrive we must take back the old foreign KMS players who were taken out by the NAVER apocalypse (December 2020, foreigners could play on KMS through NAVER which was a Korean Google, but they suspended the service)
By becoming the #2 server we will also get players from other servers as well as the atrocious p2w CMS server and the ??? JMS server
YOU DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH OF A POPULATION BOOST THIS IS
We are talking 2x-3x our pop(initially) if this server succeeds to become the #2 Maplestory Server almost indistinguishable to KMS
Then the server boost price and maintenance is justified.
As it stands we are probably the Last Ranking Maplestory Server because we don't have enough good points to offset our low as fk population

It takes 6 months for KMS content to be localized to GMS? What? I know localization takes time but half a year is unforgivable. That is way too much time for a mere translation.
Slowly cut the content gap between KMS and GMS until the two become indistinguishable. KMS is good for a reason so GMS should take notes from it.

The reason why so many people left from GMS to KMS was
1> Content 6 Months in Advance
2> Good Game Systems
3> Higher pop

However now it is impossible to play in KMS without a Korean Friend or without you being physically in South Korea.
So you have Massive amounts of people who wanted to play KMS, but cannot
Make GMS practically KMS -> easily healed population
In fact now we would actually be Global MS.

If we make GMS overwhelmingly impressive compared to KMS instead of not allocating resources and watching it die
It is entirely possible this region can be saved and be comparable to KMS or CMS.
Maplestory is not dead but slowly growing, however if there is no improvement to GMS it will slowly die

Please take a moment to consider a great investment for the future of this game

Discussion below is greatly appreciated
  1. Would you world merge if it meant no lag whatsoever from a boosted server?3 votes
    1. Yes
       67% (2 votes)
    2. No
       33% (1 vote)

Comments

• PissedOFPissedOF
    Reactions: 410
    edited January 2021
    i really like the idea, but correct me if i'm wrong, KMS and GMS are 2 different companies. I tend to think that the 6 month gap is not because translation only. I guess that legality part has to be seen, like for example, content that would be illegal in the US.
    I agree with the merging of non-reboot worlds tho.
  • SenzuBeanSenzuBean
    Reactions: 775
    edited January 2021
    Yeah those are two different companies.
    I believe the gap is 6 months because of merging content from every server and they want it at intervals
    But content gap between GMS and KMS wasn't always this massive
    It was 2 months at best (At the time of Big Bang), then lengthened to 6 months over time
    So now there's precedent
    And it shouldn't be illegal to have similar content. Although they are considered different companies, they are still working together presumably under contracts and the law. I don't think a 6 month content gap would be a fix to legality issues anyway.

I believe it's all about choosing what gets to be in GMS from all the servers, which is pretty terrible development-wise imo
    You have all this random stuff that the origin server (KMS) does not have
    And it's unnecessary to overcomplicate the development cycle for GMS to the the point where we are so slow we get content half a year apart

I hope with this in the future something changes
    May be wishful thinking, but if we don't believe then a future can't exist for this region
  • darikdarik
    Reactions: 3,270
    edited February 2021
    SenzuBean wrote: »
    Server Upgrade, Merging Servers

50% of GMS is playing on reboot, but the server just can't handle it.
    Many issues can be solved with a better server because as it stands maplestory has a physical population cap gated by the prehistoric servers that can barely serve a population of less than 10k
    The population is pretty dead, but that's not to say it's dying. It actually seems to be improving over time but with max Reboot capacity lag and 4 premium non-reboot empty as fk servers..
    There's a high chance that these servers will be the end of GMS and not the playerbase

Why better servers? To implement two fixes

1> Erase lag, boost server stability, increase player capacity
    - The servers host a low amount of players, but it can't even handle less than 10k players with 5k on Reboot, not to mention Reboot crashes everytime there's a massive event like DMT. The server is reaching the limits to it's computation and needs to be fixed to let in more people. I believe maplestory is far from over.

2> Implement Non-Reboot Server Merge (All servers into 1)
    -Take all normal servers and merge... hold on read below
    - THERE IS ONLY ONE REASON WHY PEOPLE OPPOSE A SERVER MERGE: LAG AND TAKEN MAPS
    Anytime a server approaches more than 15% GMS server pop on that server the server lags
    If we fix the server there's nothing to complain about.

-There only leaves full maps.
    Honestly this point is a bit annoying, but it's not a reason to oppose a higher population given that the higher population is a mere couple thousand.
    Just hit a different map, the game is suffering in pop and it will continue to do so if the servers aren't seen as full.
    4 Servers all empty as fk is not a good look for a new player.
    We have to centralize Reboot and Non-Reboot Worlds to each have their own World and this is possible with a Server Upgrade

Abridging the KMS Content Gap
    There was one reason why people gave up GMS for KMS, and if we want GMS to thrive we must take back the old foreign KMS players who were taken out by the NAVER apocalypse (December 2020, foreigners could play on KMS through NAVER which was a Korean Google, but they suspended the service)
    By becoming the #2 server we will also get players from other servers as well as the atrocious p2w CMS server and the ??? JMS server
    YOU DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH OF A POPULATION BOOST THIS IS
    We are talking 2x-3x our pop(initially) if this server succeeds to become the #2 Maplestory Server almost indistinguishable to KMS
    Then the server boost price and maintenance is justified.
    As it stands we are probably the Last Ranking Maplestory Server because we don't have enough good points to offset our low as fk population

It takes 6 months for KMS content to be localized to GMS? What? I know localization takes time but half a year is unforgivable. That is way too much time for a mere translation.
    Slowly cut the content gap between KMS and GMS until the two become indistinguishable. KMS is good for a reason so GMS should take notes from it.

The reason why so many people left from GMS to KMS was
    1> Content 6 Months in Advance
    2> Good Game Systems
    3> Higher pop

However now it is impossible to play in KMS without a Korean Friend or without you being physically in South Korea.
    So you have Massive amounts of people who wanted to play KMS, but cannot
    Make GMS practically KMS -> easily healed population
    In fact now we would actually be Global MS.

If we make GMS overwhelmingly impressive compared to KMS instead of not allocating resources and watching it die
    It is entirely possible this region can be saved and be comparable to KMS or CMS.
    Maplestory is not dead but slowly growing, however if there is no improvement to GMS it will slowly die

Please take a moment to consider a great investment for the future of this game

Discussion below is greatly appreciated

population is not dead lol, why people say this? Cuz they want to lie to themselves? Games population is quite fine atm, just check how full are the servers. The game has a lot of issues but population isnt going anywhere near death
    You say, erase lag, do you think is that easy ? Dont you think theyve already tried doing it? CVome on dude, how old are you fr, its a freaking company working for a game , do you think they do nothing all day everyday? Come on dude