[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Wonderoid personality trait sabotage

PulledFingerPulledFinger
Reactions: 765
edited April 2021 in Rants and Raves
I like to think of myself as someone reasonably level headed and not prone to outbursts of anger, however the Wonderoid event is doing a masterful job of making me question dropping the game altogether. From bugs and instance issues outright inhibiting many from doing half the event, to heavily nerfing/restricting completion rewards, an event coin cap that serve no purpose but to force players to participate in the event for longer and the myriad of grief the playerbase has to endure primarily with-in B1 and 1F suffering both latency and hitbox issues throughout forcing instance retries outside of player error is a bloody farce.

All that nonsense wasn't bad enough but to literally have another layer of RNG shoved on top in the form of Wonderoid personality traits that can instantly fail an attempt, completely at the whim of the android whether it follows any sort of logic or not is a joke gone too far.

'Your wonderoid saw another wonderoid being assembled and got scared' - Game over, back to the start you go.
'Your wonderoid saw another being interrogated and went into shock' - Game over, back to start you go.
'Your wonderoid's outfit got stuck in the conveyor gears' - Game over, back to start you go.
'Your wonderoid pushed a random button' - Game over, back to start you go.
'You opened a box which gave your wonderoid a heart attack' - Game over, back to start you go.

I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if there were more of these along the lines of 'the stupid thing forgot to breath' or 'the wonderoid decided to swallow its own tongue' to accompany the other nonsense listed above. These absurd reactions add another layer of difficulty to an event that's already obnoxious enough as it is and shouldn't exist in the first place. Players should never be penalized by surprise landmine mechanics at random in a timed mission (yes these are literally random and while some of these may occur in set locations, its random as to if they'll trigger or not and automatically fail you). Hell the one relating to the wonderoid deciding to randomly press a button on the elevator in B1 (Rhearoid). I just had that trigger a full 3 seconds after both the wonderoid and myself were off the elevator and had passed the heart attack box. So not only do these stupid 'surprise mechanics' exist, but they can decide to trigger several seconds after you've thought you've avoided it.

This is the kind of thing that gives Nexon the stigma of being out of touch with your customers and being seen as a company that doesn't listen and continually screws its customers over for absolutely no reason akin to an abusive spouse in a relationship. This whole cycle of deliberately crippling player progression and enjoyment of events (and the game as a whole) with repeated heavy nerfs and/or poorly designed/implemented mechanics and features only to begrudgingly tweak the content a day or three later if enough backlash and outrage has been observed. Only then to make the smallest adjustments possible so as to players can barely achieve the main reward they desire comes across as incredibly spiteful and only serves to show that very few if any Nexon employees play, understand or even care about the well being and longevity of your flagship game.

The odds of this even being acknowledged let alone passed is probably non-existent and will be swept along in the sea of rants and complaints that I'd imagine the community team is sick of reading. But good god, what ever happened to wanting to keep players with fun and engagement, instead of punishing them for wanting to participate..

/rant end.

Hell, if there were an actual chance the proper people would see and respond to it, I'd happily write an essay to give Nexon constructive feedback and viewpoints from a low to mid level player and customer (pretty sure a number of content creators and other players would also jump at such a chance, but eh. Wishful thinking).

Comments

• NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited April 2021
    The error messages only trigger once and you also receive coins, so you don't have to avoid them after the first message.

You can also block the error messages with a Repair Kit found in the boxes throughout the levels, although the engineer shield is mildly more useful.
  • PulledFingerPulledFinger
    edited April 2021
    I must have triggered at least 2 error messages per floor save for 1F and not once did any of those errors give me any coins. Atop that I know I triggered the 'heart attack box' twice with Rhearoid (as in triggered it on first or second attempt getting that far, failed to the steam conveyor belt multiple times following then failed to heart attack again trying to punch the guard and clipping the box). Whether my triggering the same landmine twice is an obscure bug or not I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that they're only meant to occur once.

However if your claim that these landmine error messages are meant to reward me coins, then where are they? If I was currently several hundred coins richer every time I stepped on a landmine I wouldn't have made the rant to begin with and in fact be happy saving myself several days worth of dailies in coin collecting. If this is a bug/feature from me triggering 'Hack tool detected 1/2' which I reported several days ago which now prevents me from obtaining bonus coins from these error messages, then I'll be really annoyed. Additionally if for whatever baffling reason someone tied these coins to the 100 coin daily loot limit so if someone does their dailies before trying to clear another S1 android they are locked out getting error message coins, then god damn this event just keeps devolving further into a messy nightmare.

According to comments on previous iterations of this event those error reports give 30 coins each so even if we ignore me triggering the same error twice or the several others I failed to recollect in my original post, I've been short changed 150 coins minimum if we go only on the 5 I described in that post (with 240 coins being closer to the actual mark of what I've been short changed).

For clarity sake, those 5 would be:
    - Hamstrung
    - Mechanical Heart Attack
    - Whoopsies
    - Post Traumatic Stress
    - Anatomy 101

Source used to translate my descriptions to their proper accident report titles: https://www.reddit.com/r/Maplestory/comments/mitqqg/accident_reports_able_to_be_obtained_from_the/

I'd hazard a guess I'm not the only one whose triggered accident reports and received nothing from them so this may be something that needs addressing.

• NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited April 2021
    You have to talk to Spencer after you complete the jump quest. His first chat option is something like a diary, where you can claim the coins.

Also, opening the box may have triggered Mechanical Heart Attack or Wicked Hangnail, as noted in your list. You likely got both of them.
    PulledFinger
  • PulledFingerPulledFinger
    edited April 2021
    That's actually incredibly useful information that I have to go into the diary to access the coins, so thank you in that regards to that.

Its does make me curious as to why said feature is so elusive. I read through that diary prior to starting season 1 and it makes no mention that you (the player) will be compensated for each accident report found, only that Spencer will record them down as additional hazards the player needs to avoid in future and not to worry about the Wonderoid being A-OK for the next attempt through the stages. Had I not tripped literally every single one for Rhearoid (checked my in game report list) and got annoyed to the point where I stopped playing to go on my previous rant viewing them as nothing but another layer of frustration and difficulty to hinder player progress (of which I still maintain that mentality), I wouldn't have discovered that they can provide extra coins or even where to claim said coins thanks to your comment.

I feel like the coins should either have been deposited automatically for clearing the Wonderoid or that the book should have included a line along "you'll be compensated for any accident reports you come across in your rescue attempts so please check back with this diary periodically" either in the [rescue] or [reward] section to go some way in lessen the odds of players going on a rant because the game has failed to provide the adequate information from the outset.