[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Linux or Steam Proton Version Please!

MapleBishopFan85MapleBishopFan85
Reactions: 1,060
edited June 2021 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
I plan on moving to Linux soon and I was wondering if there are any plans on releasing MapleStory on Linux or make the Steam version compatible with Linux thanks to Steam Proton. Linux gaming has been on the rise as of late thanks to most games now being compatible with Proton and hopefully MapleStory will join the list as well.

Comments

• PyroKingPyroKing
    Reactions: 810
    edited September 2021
    Proton makes it easier than ever to make games work on Linux, when is Nexon gonna make this effort to appeal to a larger audience? What's holding you back?

There's even a business case to be made to replace NGS/BlackCipher with Epic's Easy Anti Cheat now that it not only works on Windows but also on Linux and MacOS. It'll save resources spent on maintaining a complex matter (anti-cheat engine), it'll save cost (Easy Anti Cheat is available for free to all developers) and might reduce false ban rates (and accompanying load on the support departement). Easy Anti Cheat is adopted by some of the major players in the market including Asiasoft that happens to be running Maplestory SEA. Downsides: it requires a one-time investment and you will sacrifice some control over it's workings and the collected data.

The community may benefit from a influx of players and the freedom to play on a platform of choice. Using a cheat-detection engine implemented by many developers and used by a much larger playerbase has the potential to decrease the amount of issues and false ban detections while increasing the amount of real hacker detections. Increasing the safety and reliability of the game environment will make players more confident to make (more) in-game purchases.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2021
    The client isn't even stable on Windows, and you want it ported to other operating systems?

As for the probability that Nexon will entrust its game security to a competitor, I won't comment on that.
  • PyroKingPyroKing
    Reactions: 810
    edited September 2021
    In the old days: yes, it would've required a labor intensive port (not sure if you mean a total rewrite). Nowadays there are more ways for original "Windows" titles to run on Linux, usually through some kind of emulation layer. Proton is one of those ways and pretty successful at it. Even games that originally need Microsoft components like DirectX can run on Linux now without much trouble or modification on the developers end. Maplestory however does not work, most likely due to the NGS part of it. And because of recent news that a commonly used, free alternative to it became available on Linux and MacOS, I thought it was worth mentioning here.

To answer your question: yes, I would like to play Maplestory on other operating systems. And perhaps the Windows client would benefit from a reduced complexity as well (and lead to better stability).

As for trusting the game security to a "competitor": many other (bigger) gamestudios seem to do, Asiasoft does, so I don't find it that hard to imagine Nexon trusting them with Maplestory too someday. It's not exactly like Nexon does some unique amazing work with NGS. Sure it's better than the Hackshield days when it comes to stopping hackers (or is it because the game lost its popularity?), but not when it comes to false positives whenever a new job is released or skills get changed. To speak for myself: I no longer make in-game purchases because of past experiences with false positive detections.
  • ScottDemonScottDemon
    Reactions: 410
    Hey, I agree that proton support doesn't sound that far fetched, and I would especially appreciate it because I'm not even allowed to play on a virtual machine. I just want to get my voice out there so maybe the developers at Nexon will see that they could benefit from enabling those of us in this growing Linux community to play one of my favorite games. Please, if there's anyone out there who is like me, and doesn't really post on things, let your voice be heard
    xlyc