[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

AFK Mobs Poll

BlasterMasterBlasterMaster
Reactions: 1,395
edited June 2023 in General Chat
Recently someone made a post complaining about the AFK mobs.

As usual, however, someone tried to defend them; it seems no matter how unpopular or hated a game mechanic is (like the Jump Quests, most of which were changed to be optional, and the much-reviled PIC system, which was eventually done away with) there's always someone who will try to defend them. Oddly, while this poster claimed they were necessary, they also admited there were better options that could be implemented.

So, I had an idea - lets put this to a vote, eh?
  1. In Your Own Honest Opinion, AFK Mobs Are:4 votes
    1. A good idea and useful
       0% (0 votes)
    2. Annoying, but necessary to combat a problem
       0% (0 votes)
    3. An unnecessary pain that unfairly punishes players in order to combat something that isn't a problem
       75% (3 votes)
    4. An abomination thought up by a sadistic developer who just doesn't care.
       25% (1 vote)

Comments

• FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited June 2023
    No need for the passive aggressiveness. I didn't defend AFK mobs.
  • BlasterMasterBlasterMaster
    edited June 2023
    Fuhreak wrote: »
    No need for the passive aggressiveness. I didn't defend AFK mobs.

I didn't mention you, specifically, Fuhreak. But now that you mention it, you said, I quote:

"The anti-AFK mobs will never kill you unless you're actually AFK once you have enough arcane force. Put points into your hyper stat for it and work on your dailies.
    After a few days the mobs will no longer bother you."

Sounds like you were defending it, IMOHO. The big problems with that, by the way, is one, is that more Arcana Force value increases as you advance in level. Starting a new map (like going from Vanishing to Chu-Chu for the first time) is enough of a nightmare as it is without having these things to deal with.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited June 2023
    Saying a problem is easy enough to avoid or work around isn't a defense of said problem.
    The AFK mobs never pose any real threat except if you are AFK or can otherwise not control your character.
    They do serve a real purpose in Korean, but much less of one here (monster collection), I think they could remove the 10% touch damage and the game would function the same in our region.
    edited June 2023
    I agree.

But they won't do that, so they remain a problem, and I sincerely believe the cost far outweighs the benefits.

Would you object if they were removed entirely?
  • RedRavenRedRaven
    Reactions: 925
    edited June 2023
    i actually love jump quests...i sped ran them in the old days(literaly 1-2 shot them back then).... although i lost my touch with them due to aging affecting my performance in current time(since i returned 1 month and 10 days ago)(also forgotten timings for them due how long its been)

btw i'd prefer if you didn't reference me in such way :S (while not directly calling out the names, its kinda obvious who your referring to)...and it kinda put me in an awkward spot being backed like that.....state your opinion as well if you wish but dont drag me as reference in your threads plz :S

as for Fuhreak...ya he went aggresive againts my oppinion in regard to afk mobs but i dont rly care.....its just words in the wind if he can't back it up with a solid reason as why he was againts what i suggested..... dont worry about me Blaster....i dont flinch unless they're able to point a solid reason as to why it would not be a good idea

btw...i did realize this forum is kin of dead land.......like there almost no one active here...i'am use to active forum with ppl making like 20-40 thread a day
    so polls are probably worthless....even my poll in the suggestion section has like 0 ppl clicking on it......probably a ton of twitter ppl i would assume..or maybe reddit
    its sad when official forum are more dead than other chat websites :S
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited June 2023
    I agree.

But they won't do that, so they remain a problem, and I sincerely believe the cost far outweighs the benefits.

Would you object if they were removed entirely?

If they allow for the completion of the collection groups they're a part of, absolutely. It would be nice to be able to go AFK for more than a couple of seconds while you take care of something else.
    RedRaven wrote: »
    btw...i did realize this forum is kin of dead land.......like there almost no one active here...i'am use to active forum with ppl making like 20-40 thread a day
    so polls are probably worthless....even my poll in the suggestion section has like 0 ppl clicking on it......probably a ton of twitter ppl i would assume..or maybe reddit
    its sad when official forum are more dead than other chat websites :S

If you want active, you'll want to go to the discord. Not only are polls not going to do much, but this is the wrong section of the forums for such a thing regardless.
    We have a separate forum for suggestions.

• RedRavenRedRaven
    Reactions: 925
    edited June 2023
    Fuhreak: my poll is actually in the suggestion forum....as for discord.....i'am denied from talking in it....they demand some portable phone number to allow chatting in it which i dont have(dont have a portable phone).....only home phone.....stupid requirement if ya ask me :S demanding something outta me that i dont have :S
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited June 2023
    I am specifically talking about this thread.
    I agree, discord doesn't need my phone number to verify that I am not a bot.
  • happycowshappycows
    Reactions: 1,020
    edited June 2023
    the sad thing is that, at least in gms reg servers, the one time these afk mobs could actually be useful, they are useless because of the use of certain "high chairs" being able to avoid them.. So you get people sitting in high chairs in limina while being afk and avoiding the afk mob....then eventually coming back and starting all sorts of drama with people who "take" their maps that they weren't even using...

ffs. if your going to keep these anti afk mobs in the game at least fix the high chair exploit...
    BlasterMasterSherri
    edited June 2023
    happycows wrote: »
    the sad thing is that, at least in gms reg servers, the one time these afk mobs could actually be useful, they are useless because of the use of certain "high chairs" being able to avoid them.. So you get people sitting in high chairs in limina while being afk and avoiding the afk mob....then eventually coming back and starting all sorts of drama with people who "take" their maps that they weren't even using...

ffs. if your going to keep these anti afk mobs in the game at least fix the high chair exploit...

My point exactly. I can't stand those guys. The worst map hog my guild had to deal with pretended he couldn't speak English when we asked him to leave. The last time we dealt with him was kinda funny, it was like, well - ever see the movie Men in Black?