[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

[Anti-Boss Carry] Yep... Nexon is Really This Dumb

StaconaStacona
Reactions: 1,465
edited July 2023 in General Chat
How you expect the game to grow with anti-boss carries which primarily hurts new players the most - and almost exclusively new players?

This change was targeted specifically at Korean MapleStory (which is still an horrendous change regardless over there) and would just outright harm the game in GMS, period. I actually want to see this game to grow and become big and not be held back by stupid decision that actively hold back the game from growing!

MapleStory is a great game held back by the worst company ever...

Can Nexon not only decide to be better for once, but actually be considered a good company for the first time ever!?
Is this really too much to ask? Because apparently it is...

Anti-boss carry mechanic is just horrendously bad to implement for the western market.

Comments

• iBundanceiBundance
    Reactions: 845
    edited July 2023
    I expect the game to grow by having the game be adjusted similar to the big bang event. Some bosses need to be weakened and they need to allow more ways for the players to engage with them. I am for the Anti boss carry mechanics even though I benefit from them . This game is almost not worth playing to me . I am a person who does not really speak or ask for help so being FORCED to rely on someone's kindness to progress in a game I've been trying to play since I was a teenager is stressful. The game is supposed to be a fun collaborative way for people to enjoy themselves it is not supposed to feel like it's a job playing it , I shouldn't log on every day and Dread grinding through the events. The rewards should be obtainable easily for both maxed level players and players who are brand new to the game. Misty Island did it well by not having player stats ingame be of any use in the event.
    Stacona
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2023
    I would argue this helps new players and hurts old players, actually.
    Trading bosses is something that me and my group of friends do regularly.
    It allows us to push all of our mules that we otherwise would not play into easy to use boss mules.
    The reverse side is that plenty of new players get carried by players like me and never actually learn how to play the game.
    I have seen so many players who are running around in full arcane gear and they barely know how their character let alone the game functions in general.
    Aside from Reg server where you can still buy equips, this will assure that people actually know how to play the game before they can progress.

Edit: To be more specific, I think this helps players who have yet to already learn the bosses they are being carried on.
    These players could always learn to beat these bosses later, but given that I see players far above the requirement for CRA constantly ask for CRA carries, I'd argue that doesn't seem to happen.
  • RedRavenRedRaven
    Reactions: 925
    edited July 2023
    i'am not sure how big parties can get for current bosses but they should tweak the required dmg % base on group size
    1-4 players..minimum of 5%
    4-6 players minimum of 4%
    6-8 player minimum of 3%
    8-10 players minimum of 2%
    11+ player minimum of 1%

if someone in the group does absurdly high dmg that 5% would practicly be impossible to reach..or even 1-2%...aka whale players in the group

this should also exclude bosses which can be done everyday(outdated bosses)

btw Fuhreak this wont help new players...more like lock them out entirely like on WoW(you need X gear or your not welcome to join)(in WoW case they demand a completion achievement(basicly deny new players).....the other thing it does is stopping whales from carrying their friends//guildies(whales get confined for excessive dmg now because they deny loots for all other members with them)

well this system is massively flawed for not taking variables in consideration
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2023
    Parties are limited to 6 players. This isn't like WoW where you need certain gear, people only care about your DPS and/or your ability to support the group.
    You can go up to black mage on Absolab gear alone. 5% isn't that much damage even in a group with a whale, that's 25% of the damage not by the whale.
    5% for each of the 5 players. This hurts old players because they can trade and are actually more likely to get carries in the first place.
    Newer players could and should be joining parties around their actual level in order to level the boss and grow organically.

I will say again that carries are fine for people who know how to kill the boss, but for players who do not know how the boss actually works, all this does is push them past content they should be learning.
    Too many players are begging for carries for bosses they should easily be able to clear solo, let alone in a party.

This helps new players by forcing them to learn to play the game. If you already know how to play the game, you're not really a new player and thus, this hurts you.
  • StaconaStacona
    edited July 2023
    iBundance wrote: »
    I expect the game to grow by having the game be adjusted similar to the big bang event. Some bosses need to be weakened and they need to allow more ways for the players to engage with them. I am for the Anti boss carry mechanics even though I benefit from them . This game is almost not worth playing to me . I am a person who does not really speak or ask for help so being FORCED to rely on someone's kindness to progress in a game I've been trying to play since I was a teenager is stressful. The game is supposed to be a fun collaborative way for people to enjoy themselves it is not supposed to feel like it's a job playing it , I shouldn't log on every day and Dread grinding through the events. The rewards should be obtainable easily for both maxed level players and players who are brand new to the game. Misty Island did it well by not having player stats ingame be of any use in the event.

The bosses are meant to do with a party and you solo them later when you get stronger. The gatekeeper hard removal is what really hurts the growth of the game since it makes the new player experience way worse, plus the reboot mob removal really hurts new players as well, but I do agree with slowing down leveling for late and end game and gating that around daily story exp.

~ I am against hard carries up to a certain point in the game (basically anything above normal Lomien), but this needs to be addressed in a much better way than just hard cutting off completely.

• StaconaStacona
    edited July 2023
    RedRaven wrote: »
    i'am not sure how big parties can get for current bosses but they should tweak the required dmg % base on group size
    1-4 players..minimum of 5%
    4-6 players minimum of 4%
    6-8 player minimum of 3%
    8-10 players minimum of 2%
    11+ player minimum of 1%

if someone in the group does absurdly high dmg that 5% would practicly be impossible to reach..or even 1-2%...aka whale players in the group

this should also exclude bosses which can be done everyday(outdated bosses)

btw Fuhreak this wont help new players...more like lock them out entirely like on WoW(you need X gear or your not welcome to join)(in WoW case they demand a completion achievement(basicly deny new players).....the other thing it does is stopping whales from carrying their friends//guildies(whales get confined for excessive dmg now because they deny loots for all other members with them)

well this system is massively flawed for not taking variables in consideration

If the goal was just to remove hard carries, then the number just needed to be 1% boss HP since hard carried character can never do more than 1% of the boss HP.

Imagine if you are a Bishop or Beast Tamer with low solo damage and extremely high support capabilities, you make everyone deal significantly more damage, but get nothing for yourself which in a 6 man part will make it very hard to deal 5% boss HP since in a perfect world a 6 man party everyone does 16% HP but that does not happen if you are the only support among damage-only classes in the party.

Results in the strongest in the party basically has to be the support in order for the support to get boss loot at the end.

I do think there was a much better way to implement anti-hard carry than based on damage dealt to the boss and they should have given it more thought with a proper fix than a lazy one with no thought about it or thinking about the long term growth of the game.
  • StaconaStacona
    edited July 2023
    Fuhreak wrote: »
    Parties are limited to 6 players. This isn't like WoW where you need certain gear, people only care about your DPS and/or your ability to support the group.
    You can go up to black mage on Absolab gear alone. 5% isn't that much damage even in a group with a whale, that's 25% of the damage not by the whale.
    5% for each of the 5 players. This hurts old players because they can trade and are actually more likely to get carries in the first place.
    Newer players could and should be joining parties around their actual level in order to level the boss and grow organically.

I will say again that carries are fine for people who know how to kill the boss, but for players who do not know how the boss actually works, all this does is push them past content they should be learning.
    Too many players are begging for carries for bosses they should easily be able to clear solo, let alone in a party.

This helps new players by forcing them to learn to play the game. If you already know how to play the game, you're not really a new player and thus, this hurts you.

Supports buff up the party, so everyone else does more damage making you have a very hard time to hit a 5% boss HP threshold in time as a result in a 5-6 man party. 1-4 man party should not be too much of an issue, but why heavily punish supports for doing their job properly.

Hard carries are good for the game up to an extent if this system is the only way to stop hard carries then the better thing to do would be:

~ Make the early game bosses, normal Lomien and below, easier - especially address phase 1 Lotus (Normal and Hard) with no more laser speed up and only 2 lasers in a "| line" pattern instead of 4 lasers in an "X" pattern. (Players strong enough for hard Lotus just insta-burst phase 1 to not deal with it, so phase 1 being as hard as it is, is only gatekeeping new players from doing normal Lotus for their Absolab).

~ For Damien, they should change how cleansing works where instead of holding NPC chat on the alter, your stacks just slowly go down overtime like with Akechi if you do not get hit by the sword.

~Normal Slime and above have a 2% HP minimum damage dealt for boss rewards. Personally I despise people getting hard carried for stuff like Arcane Umbra Gear which should be something the player actually earned.
    --- Personally though, I think to get boss rewards they should just have a main stat minimum threshold, this way supports are not harmed out of boss rewards and people are not harmed from boss rewards that just want to fast kill the boss and get out. Main stat minimum threshold would change based on each boss and the boss difficulty, and since this is a Reboot only feature, the number should be a realistic to hit number for Reboot. i.e. 15,000 main stat (this might be too high for a minimum for this boss) for normal Lucid boss rewards, enough damage to contribute to the boss, but not so high that the minimum also means you overkill the boss.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2023
    Stacona wrote: »
    Supports buff up the party, so everyone else does more damage making you have a very hard time to hit a 5% boss HP threshold in time as a result in a 5-6 man party. 1-4 man party should not be too much of an issue, but why heavily punish supports for doing their job properly.

My second main is a bishop that is significantly weaker than the rest of my party and I don't have trouble doing 5%.
    If you can't deal 5% I'm sorry but, it's a carry or you're giving away all of your drops or just getting bad RNG on your upgrades.
    Regardless, 5% is not hard to hit even on a support (Kanna might be a different story?) so most people should be fine unless they are aiming way too high.
    I would say if you have cleared the boss before with a 5% thresh hold then all future runs should be given to you for free.

This could even be account wide, but of course Nexon doesn't want you to carry mules for free anymore.
    Regardless, I could see a scenario where a player used to be able to deal 5% damage, but due to a recent boom, event buffs lost, or whatever, can no longer meet the requirement.
    I think carries are bad for maple, but I will agree that it shouldn't be hard to find a better balance for allowing carries for sake of players who already know what they're doing and do not wish to take the slow road even when they have already traveled it before.