[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

reduced dmg intake vs elemental resistance(which?)

RedRavenRedRaven
Reactions: 925
edited July 2023 in General Chat
which is better ? also would be nice to know the difference between the 2 so maybe i can judge myself
thats assuming the reduction % is the same for both

Comments

• FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2023
    Both are useless in bossing, and most mobs within Arcane River are going to do 1 damage.
    The exception is skills that specifically mention HP% attacks, which are all damage reduction skills.
  • RedRavenRedRaven
    edited July 2023
    that dont answer my question :S
    i dont care bout nether shield range or reduced cost for exceed overload on my demon avenger
    i got 3 ward to pick from in what seem to be the most interesting in my remaining hyper skills
    1 reduce elemental dmg
    1 reduce dmg intake
    1 increase status anomaly resist by 10

basicly i'd rather a dmg reduction over anomaly resist for extra survival

edit: btw are you joking ? Arcane River mobs going to do 1 dmg the entire way ? if so thats completle bs
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2023
    RedRaven wrote: »
    that dont answer my question :S
    i dont care bout nether shield range or reduced cost for exceed overload on my demon avenger
    i got 3 ward to pick from in what seem to be the most interesting in my remaining hyper skills
    1 reduce elemental dmg
    1 reduce dmg intake
    1 increase status anomaly resist by 10

basicly i'd rather a dmg reduction over anomaly resist for extra survival

edit: btw are you joking ? Arcane River mobs going to do 1 dmg the entire way ? if so thats completle bs

Arcane River mobs will do 1 damage so long as you have the arcane force for it, obviously they won't deal 1 damage the entire time, but since you can mitigate their damage they will most likely deal damage that doesn't really matter that much.
    Unless you're grinding way above your arcane force most for the most part won't bother you.

As far as your original question, "Elemental" damage includes the "normal" type of damage that all mobs deal if I'm remembering correctly.
    Edit: Bosses resist all "elemental" types including "physical" which makes them all affected by IED, this is what I was thinking of.
    I believe based on this that reduce damage would be your better bet since it will work on all mobs.

This doesn't work against HP% attacks and neither does damage reduction unless it specifically states. So in bossing both of these are worthless.
    For mobbing, it would probably be easier if you just test it out for yourself since you can easily reset your hyper skills. (I believe it caps out at 10m per reset)
    But if you wish to know exact values and how it works you can check out this link here and scroll down a bit for the information you want.

The lines I think you're interested in are these two, though.
    All Damage reduction effect from skills and equipments are calculated after the regular defense formula. Different sources will be multiplied just like Ignore DEF.
    Elemental Resistance further reduces damage taken from elemental attacks (excluding physical) by half of the stated percentage. Mostly applicable to poison damage. Not applied to HP proportional damage.
  • RedRavenRedRaven
    edited July 2023
    well...if it dont work in bossing guess i'am left with abnormal resists :S especially since lvl 200 mobs only do 1 dmg the entire time so far(up and including Arcana :S
    haven't taken any dmg since i hit lvl 202-203(dont remember which lvl exactly)

also still not rly what i was seeking.....guess i make a concept of what my understanding is base on your post....if both skills value equal 10%
    does it work as follow ?..this would be the info i actually seek

dmg intake -10%
    -10% physical dmg taken

elementaml resists 10%
    -5% physical dmg taken
    -10% dmg taken from Ice, Fire, Lightning, Poison, Dark, Light dmg
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2023
    well...if it dont work in bossing guess i'am left with abnormal resists :S especially since lvl 200 mobs only do 1 dmg the entire time so far(up and including Arcana :S
    haven't taken any dmg since i hit lvl 202-203(dont remember which lvl exactly)

also still not rly what i was seeking.....guess i make a concept of what my understanding is base on your post....if both skills value equal 10%
    does it work as follow ?..this would be the info i actually seek

dmg intake -10%
    -10% physical dmg taken

elementaml resists 10%
    -5% physical dmg taken
    -10% dmg taken from Ice, Fire, Lightning, Poison, Dark, Light dmg

From my understanding it would be -0% physical damage taken -5% damage taken from elements on elemental resist.
    Damage Resist is going to depend on how much damage resistance you already have, if you have 0% it will reduce all damage taken by 10% (at least according to my understanding), if you have 10% already it will close the remaining gap by 10%, (90% * 0.1 = 9%), so you'll have 19%. This is how IED works as well.
  • RedRavenRedRaven
    edited July 2023
    so -% dmg intake > % ele resist in term of value correct ? base on your post dmg intake affect both physical and elemental resist...correct ?

as for dimishing return numbers its irrelevant to the info i wanted..its only there to prevent a possible -100% dmg reduction...most game run that system so ppl dont somehow take 0 dmg by stacking too much dmg reduc effects..it also prevent a too massive reduction
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2023
    so -% dmg intake > % ele resist in term of value correct ? base on your post dmg intake affect both physical and elemental resist...correct ?

Based on my understanding, yes.
  • RexaarRexaar
    Reactions: 3,645
    edited July 2023
    "Damage Intake: -10%" affect everything (including elemental) except %max HP attacks

"Elemental Resistance: +10%" affect only non %max HP attacks that has a element applied to it.
    For example:
    Horntail fire/ice/lighting/posion fart attacks
    Blue Pierre/Cygnus fire trail
    Vellum poison puddle
    Shadow damage if you don't move status effect by various bosses
    Poison status effect (non max% HP only)

They both reduce the same amount of damage.

No mobs after lv 200 and bosses after CRA uses a non %max HP elemental attack that is affected by elemental resistance.