[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Amazingly Unstable Client Now

XeraphimXeraphim
Reactions: 1,480
edited October 2016 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
Nexon, your anti-hack measures and your recent additions to the game are... not playing well together. At all.

The sad part is, this is not affecting hackers. At all. Their game runs fine because they use CPU hacks to chop out all the fluff and just grind MapleStory without all the fanciness and party mechanics.

Now your client is so amazingly unstable that it loves to crash at least 8 times in a row before becoming operable again. This means 8 logins after the Launcher finally lets you click Play again. This happens on any/all channels of Reboot. My most recent experience is with a Mercedes waiting on the Grin Ring that went into Inferno Wolf. As soon as she got out, crashathon. 7 crashes (and repeat logins from the desktop) later, she finally managed to use a Teleport to Nearest Town scroll to get to Leafre as the client black-screened and went to a Minidump. Now she's hanging out in town, unable to do anything while that timer runs. So I'll find something to do for 30 minutes. Why can't the timer be for 5 minutes? Seriously?

That aside, the game crashes an amazing amount lately. Bossing, mobbing, hanging out in town, using the shop to buy and sell things... anything causes a huge lag spike these days and a third of them crash the client to the Login screen, which subsequently crashes the client to a Minidump shortly after that.

Before you make any more content... please fix your client. It's griefing the daylights out of your legit players.

Comments

• thrakkesthrakkes
    Reactions: 2,135
    edited October 2016
    I agree with you on this. Man, I was hoping Nexon fixing client side in part of optimization in the patch but I guess not T.T All i can say is Great Job for Horntail boss. Other than that... no good.
  • XeraphimXeraphim
    edited October 2016
    Fresh install done last night. Purged my game drive of all Maplestory files and let the Nexon launcher do its thing while I went to sleep and missed the 2x event. I had tried for 2 hours to stay connected for more than 3 minutes with no success. I want a version of Maplestory with no opening videos now.

Still crashing just like before.

Nexon, it's all on you.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2016
    The opening videos play while the game loads. If you stop the video the game continues to load in the background.
    It used to be that you could still log in, choose world and channel, select a character and enter your pic, and then it would wait until fully loaded and log you in. (You'd know it's done by the "Character Card" and "Part Time Jobs" icons on the char select page getting colored in).
    Now, however, it seems that if you stop the video in the middle and try to log in, MapleStory will crash ("stop responding") during the login process.
    So now I let the video play itself out and log in slowly and patiently, and it doesn't crash.

Of course it still has the stutter some login sessions, and it often crashes when I log out to switch chars...

Client stability has definitely taken a nosedive with this "optimization" patch.
  • XeraphimXeraphim
    edited October 2016
    Essentially, whatever was done to the network communications in the last Maintenance completely wrecked what little integrity was left between the client and the server. Prior to that during update 176 certain Maintenance passes started causing crashes regularly. Now Maplestory won't stay connected and constantly drops the player to the login screen, then the desktop or just straight to the desktop.

Nexon, I expect some Dark Totems for all my characters out of this and some 2x coupons that don't expire due to being forced to miss the events because of what you did. I gave it an honest effort.

I log in... I try to go into Commerci to do a quick Rosa run for the Dark Rack... the voyage crashes during the first spawn.
    I've tried this with the block IP 8.31.99.133 method to kill the stutter and without the rule active and the result is the same. Maplestory now no longer functions.
  • XeraphimXeraphim
    edited October 2016
    Deductive information:

Packet sniffers and other debugging software is blocked by -removed- so technical data cannot be obtained.

Custom install of Windows 10 with Telemetry and other built-in spyware completely disabled.

Programs running:
    flux
    PIA, though the crashes occur more frequently without PIA running.
    CCleaner monitoring for browser cleaning
    occasionally, WinAmp
    Basic Windows 10 Pro x64 operating programs. Telemetry fully disabled. All non-essential Services disabled through Services.msc and msconfig/Task Manager.

Drivers have been updated as part of troubleshooting.

Maplestory has been completely erased (CCleaner file destruction, 9 overwrites) then re-installed through the Launcher. The problem did not change.

Hardware used:
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 970
    Intel i7-4790K CPU at 4GHz (4 analog cores and 4 logical/hyperthread cores)
    All RAM and Bus speeds clocked at same rate (RAM test yields no problems), 16GB DDR3
    External 1TB StoreJet drive running NTFS structure (game drive; disk checks (even the ones that take literally a full day) performed, no errors) with USB2 connection on USB3 port, could move to a SATA drive but that wouldn't change anything and I would have to move things around a lot
    Plug and Play Keyboard; Monitor (LG Television, 42" screen, connected to GTX 970 with HDMI cable)
    Diamondback Razer mouse
    MSI Z87-G45 GAMING motherboard running integrated audio through Realtek chipset using the ALC1150 codec
    Broadcom 802.11ac Network Adapter (Yes, I have to use Wifi and no, I cannot plug a cable in because the access point is 400ft away and my signal is -12db and -50db. Average latency is 22ms with 0% packet loss due to a homemade parabolic dish. It's a Kitchen Aid Mixer bowl with the Wifi antenna snugged up inside it braced with nonconductive materials in a square sewing basket)

Problems with other programs:
    None. At all.

Specifics:

Classes that crashes occur with: Mercedes, Shade, Dual Blade, Kinesis and probably all the others too.
    Channels that the crashes occur on: ALL of them. Every single one.
    Server that the crashes keep occurring on: Reboot. No other servers attempted.

Crashes:

Hours attempted to maintain a stable login (unsuccessfully): 6 in a 24 hour period.

From logged in to a character:
    Crash to Login screen, then immediately to Desktop: ~63% of the time.
    Crash immediately to Desktop: ~37% of the time.
    Attempts: I lost count at 100. I didn't stop. I was trying to gather data. Because science.

From the Login screen:
    Crash to desktop when attempting to log in to a character on Reboot: 8 occurrences in over 100 attempts.
    Crash immediately to desktop upon selecting a channel to log in to: 6 occurrences in over 100 attempts.

Time to Crash (after logging into a character):
    Average: ~7 seconds.
    Optimistic: ~90 seconds. I maintained the ability to talk in Alliance chat until Crash to Login but All chat had 100% packet loss and the client did not function.
    Pessimistic: ~3 seconds. Crash to Desktop after loading all the graphics and letting me move a little bit and maybe open some windows and chat one sentence to Alliance channel.
    Rate of Optimistic logins to Pessimistic logins: about 1 to 20.
    Event that triggered the Crash designation: Total loss of function of the MapleStory Client.

Time between Network/Function Crash and Maplestory Client Crash:
    Average around 20 seconds.
    Long wait 90 seconds. Crash to Login screen, then to Desktop.
    Short wait 4-10 seconds. Crash to Desktop.

Items involved:
    Basic equipment for all classes
    Pendant of the Spirit on one of the characters (irrelevant to crash rate), event cosmetic on one character (irrelevant to crash rate)
    Grin Ring quest seems to be involved somehow. The timer does not play well with Inferno Den or Commerci or any other timer, from what I can tell. It does not like zoning from place to place and will cause a crash if you zone too many times with Grin Ring timer active.

Times a Minidump was not sent to Microsoft due to ending the process through the task manager to speed things up: 31.
    Times a Debug operation was attempted with Microsoft Visual Studio 8: 1; Times that failed: 1

Actions performed that were affected (or interrupted) by the Crash:
    - Doing Commerci to complete the Dark Lords of Dark Darkness requisites. No voyage completion due to crashes. Attempted on 3 characters (Shade lvl 182, Mercedes lvl 153, Kinesis lvl 192).
    - Standing around in town waiting for Grin Ring.
    - Chatting while waiting for Grin Ring and standing around in a Combat map (e.g. Nest Golems near Leafre with Mercedes).
    - Mobbing Blue Dragon Turtles with Dual Blade for the Dark Rack quests.
    - Moving things in and out of the Storage
    - Crafting in Ardentmill
    - Mining in Ardentmill
    - Digging in Ardentmill
    - Selling things to an NPC merchant
    - Trying to use an i-frame to move around town
    - Using an attack on a group of monsters
    - Using an attack on a single monster
    - Casting the 4th job buff "Maple (something)" with Shade (Maple warrior? Whatever. The Stat buff thing)
    - Trying to take down Chaos Horntail solo
    - Fighting Hilla solo
    - Doing Dimension Invasion solo
    - Using All chat (and doing nothing else)
    - Using Alliance chat (and doing nothing else)
    - Using Guild chat (and doing nothing else)
    - Attempting Commerci Trade Voyage
    - Picking up items with the Snail provided by the Reboot box given to new characters
    - Picking up items without the Snail

Times Sustained Login was Attempted and Failed:
    11pm CST October 29, 2016 to 11am CST October 30, 2016.
    Currently logged in to a persistent session for the first time in 12 hours (at 11:11am CST). Why I am still connected is a mystery to me. Maybe it has something to do with hack sniffing programs server side.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2016
    Since you crash doing anything or nothing at all in the game, I don't think the crash is due to a game bug, as such.
    I've done most of the things you list, including Commerci voyages (both solo and party) and boss fights, on Reboot, on different classes and different computers, while waiting for the Grin Ring, with no problem at all.
    The only new problems I've seen are the crash at logout (about 1/3 of the time) or at login (pretty much all the time if I don't wait for the game to fully load, maybe 1/10 when I do) and the chat channel server. Other than that, the game seems fine (with its old problems of cc-dc, loot lag, and kill-quest lag, of course).

So I still suspect your network. Either the WiFi or the connection from your router to Nexon's servers are not reliable enough for Maple's delicate sensitivities.
    Things you could try:
    - Do a pingtest to a server in LA to check for packet loss or high jitter
    - Use your cellphone as a hotspot, and see if things get better, worse, or no difference
    - Borrow a laptop and try playing closer to the router (wired if possible)

Good luck.
  • Mallow256Mallow256
    Reactions: 1,060
    edited October 2016
    I've only been crashing occasionally as the game exits, and I used to crash about 50/50 upon exiting the cash shop (but not yet after this patch). There still is the huge amounts of lag after leaving the cash shop from the chat channel stuffs, but yeah, no crashing.
  • joshissacjoshissac
    Reactions: 200
    edited December 2016
    I experienced 20 or so crashes in the last few hours. I do nothing it crashes, I pick up a random item it crashes, I talk to an npc it crashes, I collect a quest reward it crashes, I use an item it crashes.....basically do or don't it crashes on me left and right