[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts
Closed

A Suggestion for the Community

MakazeKibaMakazeKiba
Reactions: 1,800
edited December 2016 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
So, the community over the years has been growing angrier and angrier, and rightfully so; we keep being treated poorly, at least in comparison to other viable games out there. However, the one thing that helps Nexon continue regardless of our ire and discontent is one thing:

WE ALL KEEP COMING BACK.

Why is this? For the older players, it's the all of the time and effort (and sometimes money) we poured into the game. That is very hard to walk away from. This probably the number one reason why MapleStory in GMS still has player retention. The major content patches, such as V right now, help to foster nostalgia to call back older players, much like a necromancer recalls a long-departed soul back to it's dry, emaciated corpse. Such patches are a temporary draw that tend to prey on those good, nostalgic memories of the older players.

As much as we may throw verbal fits, such as over the nerf of Shining Santa Boxes, various content glitches, unacceptable (relatively speaking) levels of latency, and, for the EU players, a VERY noticeable drop in game experience quality, namely the disgustingly high proliferation of botters, script-kiddies, and gold-farmers (which all old GMS players have been dealing with for YEARS).

The only way we can make a profound statement to Nexon NA, which is frankly impossible, based on my observations of people on these forums, is to simply not play the game. This idea would be the hardest thing to do for us older players. You newer folk will find it much easier, but not us. Unfortunately, even this strategy is likely to backfire, with Nexon NA simply taking MapleStory down from this locale. However, I would be willing to take the chance to starve them into improving. From my personal point of view, this would be a win-win; the company will finally take some action to address our grievances. Alternatively, should they let the game die, I would be free from MapleStory's infernal grasp. I would miss it, but I would be able to move on.

In short, our continual return to MapleStory is what makes Nexon feel safe and content with how the game works. Revenue still comes in, regardless of whatever the state in the game as in (so long as it is "up", even then they are slow to bring it back up after a patch or maintenance). If we boycott the game, this will send a powerful message to the devs. At the worst, we can move on and find a better game.

Comments

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2016
    inb4 deleted.
    This type of post is against the forum's CoC.
    Make it on reddit.
    Not that I think it would help.
  • AndromedyAndromedy
    Reactions: 1,720
    edited December 2016
    I highly recommend you check out my post, and open letter to Nexon, on these exact. Boycotting and "rioting" are not acceptable means of getting a point across over the internet. It merely makes us look like a bunch of 12 year old's who got spoiled. I hope you understand this, and come join us in our peaceful yet powerful acknowledgement of these problems.

Coming together as a community is the most important thing. But this kind of post, isn't the way to do it.

http://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/6403/an-open-letter-to-nexon#latest
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited December 2016
    AKradian
    AKradian said:

inb4 deleted.
    This type of post is against the forum's CoC.
    Make it on reddit.
    Not that I think it would help.
    Quite.

According to the code of conduct:
    You are free to express yourself on the forums but not on Nexon's expense.
    - This means we will not allow derogatory comments, threats, intellect insults, "crusades" against Nexon or our users, and other comments encouraging other members to accept a certain ideology about Nexon.
    In short, please do not advocate or lead general crusades or boycotts of the game, at least on the forums here, it's kind of rude and a little annoying to those of us who would prefer to fix what's broken. If you wish to quit then we're not stopping you, but please don't rally people to your cause using the official game forums, it's mainly seen as an effort to gain attention, likes, or karma.

Constructive criticism is welcome. Demanding protests or crusades is neither constructive nor even criticism.
This discussion has been closed.