[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Has anyone actually Read the Privacy Policy?

jasonmbrownjasonmbrown
Reactions: 635
edited December 2016 in General Chat
So During the downtime while I was bored, I was reading the privacy policy for fun (Ya Im pretty boring right?) and saw this:
To Ensure Compliance with the Terms. In order to maintain the integrity of the Service and to ensure compliance with the Terms, we reserve the right to use automated tools to scan and obtain information from your computer, software, and parts or portions thereof, including, but not limited to, your computer's random access memory, video card, central processing unit, hard drive(s) and any other storage devices
(Pulled Mildly out of context as its a long paragraph, But its referring to scanning for Hacking utilities or tools)

Anyone got any thoughts on this? Just wondering cause it looked pretty sketchy, Sounds more like Something "Big Brother" Would be doing...
JacaruLilyflowerSuperboi
  1. Is it ok for a service like Maplestory, to automatically Scan your computer for "Hacking Tools"?27 votes
    1. Yes
       59% (16 votes)
    2. No
       41% (11 votes)

Comments

• ArlongArlong
    Reactions: 4,645
    edited December 2016
    nexon isn't interested in your p**n collection dun worry about it
    DaxterbeerLilyflowerJettLuvsUStoryOfMapleTanyaKerBansot
  • jasonmbrownjasonmbrown
    edited December 2016
    Not Exactly what I was refering to, But It doesnt matter if they are interested or not, Currently they can record whatever they would like and everyone playing Maplestory is in agreement (Even if thats not what they do)
  • MakazeKibaMakazeKiba
    Reactions: 1,800
    edited December 2016
    And yet, fat lotta good it seems to do them. If it yielded results, I wouldn't mind it. If not...
  • ArlongArlong
    edited December 2016
    they are a private company, they are interested in what you do that affects their service. So long as you aren't hacking or botting on their game, they don't care what you do no matter how illegal it may be because it won't affect their business. They don't have the manpower to monitor every single player. They might have to do this once they catch a hacker for example and see through their hard drive to find hacks or something. I dunno I don't know how to computer but I assume it might be necessary. I'd be more worried about the government doing this, which unlike with nexon, you can't opt out of
  • jasonmbrownjasonmbrown
    edited December 2016
    You cant opt out of this if you play the game... I had a nice long talk with customer support, they basically said if u disagree with anything in the terms of use, they terminate your account.
  • ArlongArlong
    edited December 2016
    you can opt out by not playing is what I'm saying.
  • maplefreak2maplefreak2
    Reactions: 1,230
    edited December 2016
    Ethical to scan your computer? Not really. Is Nexon well within their legal rights to do that though? You betcha.

You agreed to the terms and now you're stuck with it. Don't like it? Go contact Customer Support and they'll terminate your account for you. I know I'm being harsh, but it is what it is.
    Also, it's only looking for basic computer information and only scans for programs that aid in hacking. Not really that big of a deal to be really honest and is fairly standard. NGS is essentially like an antivirus except instead of trying to protect you from viruses, it's trying to protect the game from hacking tools (essentially viruses for the game). ....
    Valryia
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited December 2016
    jasonmbrown

Not Exactly what I was refering to, But It doesnt matter if they are interested or not, Currently they can record whatever they would like and everyone playing Maplestory is in agreement (Even if thats not what they do)
    They cannot. Many people have speculated about what the security programs record and claim that they record as much as malware, citing vague references to people "pulling apart" the programs or monitoring their usage, all without any sort of actual evidence.

The security programs record mostly active programs running alongside the game, nothing more than any other security program or antivirus. This has been actually documented by monitoring usage of the program.
    Scanning Random Access Memory (RAM), video card, CPU, etc is all basic diagnostic data. There isn't a game in the world that doesn't access these.
    ValryiaCryoGXThe Blue CorsairInvulgo
  • genji123genji123
    Reactions: 1,120
    edited December 2016
    Dw Google already sells your data.