[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Gender lock equipment/Fusion anvil issues

MarthRoyMarthRoy
Reactions: 740
edited January 2020 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
Hello, This is a long submission but I am using this to bring to attention something that I am deeply passionate about and this has been waning on me for a while. I hope that this submission gets passed around the customer service department and beyond to whomever can make this happen please.

I love cosplaying in games. It is what I find enjoyment for when playing them and this includes Maplestory. Most of my characters are named after references to fictional video game characters and it is fun trying to find the right armor pieces and use the resources the game gives to try and replicate their look. I spend real money to try to "cosplay" as best I can in the game. In Star Wars the Old Republic MMO game I had 27 characters I fully cosplayed as. I would win costume contests. I had a blast showcasing them. It tests my creativity to the fullest and I absolute love it.
I am trying to do the same here in Maplestory but I am finding it very difficult to do so and here is where I am disheartened.

I am working on my main character "LinkHyrrule". He is reference to the popular video game character Link from "Legend of Zelda". I have looked around everywhere and I have finally found the PERFECT armor piece that completely looks near exact Link's tunic from the Zelda games: "Nova Training Suit" I was elated. I was getting ready to purchase an fusion anvil to transform it and send it to him so I could complete my cosplay. Then I was completely disheartened and Hope shattered when i found that fusion anvils cannot put gender specific items onto gender neutral ones. The Nova Training Suit is the starting outfit from the Angelic Buster class, which is a female ONLY class. My Link character is male. This means that as is it is IMPOSSIBLE for my character to have any equipment that looks like that tunic. The tunic is very appropriate and shows no skin, it is also gender neutral by appearance and lore. Training tunics and outfits are gender neutral by nature. Look at military training outfits. They are neutral too. There is no reason the Nova Training Suit should be female only.
Another related note is that the other top I found to resemble the green tunic is the bowman's "Green Leather Hoodwear". It's bowman specific class and my Link is a warrior which means it would have to be fusion anviled onto a warrior top for me to wear it. The Green Leather Hoodwear is a male specific top which means I still can't transform it onto my late game Fafnir top/Absolab top/arcane top etc. This means I wouldnt be able to wear it into battle, bosses, party quests etc. I would be forced to transform it onto a weak low level male specific warrior top. At least I could have it to wear for fun but not pragmatically.

I am asking, hoping, begging for help, any assistance to help me look like Link. The resources are there, in the game. The Nova Training Suit is cosmetically perfect for what I need but is impossible for me to wear. And the Green Leather Hoodwear cannot be used on endgame gender neutral items. I was hoping even if this is an exception, that I could get help with wearing this suit on my "LinkHyrrule" paladin warrior character. You specifically might not have the ability to, but someone somewhere has the ability to help or make this happen. And before you write this immediately off to "sorry can't" I'd like to tell you a story...

In SWTOR (Star Wars the Old Republic) I created a Kratos character (from God of War franchise) because I saw two blades in the game that looked JUST like the chaos blades Kratos uses in his game God of War. I bought them immediately and went to work creating the rest of his costume. I spent lots of real money and in game currency trying to perfectly replicate his look and I nearly DID. He looked absolutely perfect, stunning. I was so pround. Now just needed to equip the blades for the final piece... Until I found out that the blades were unusable by my class. My Kratos was a Sith marauder which can dual wield VIBRO blades, but the ones I had purchased were TECH blades. there is NO CLASS in the game that can use tech blades. They are for a party companion only. I looked up in the item gallery and found there IS indeed vibro blades that look just like the ones I had in the game and that I can use. I was elated again and my hope was back up, then immediately dashed yet again because I found out the specific vendor that sold it was no longer in the game. Gone... vanished into the ether of time and patches. There were people in the game that actually had the vibroblade I needed, however it was untradeable, and there was no scissors of karma to make it tradeable anymore. So: What I could obtain I couldn't actually use, What I could actually use wasn't in the game, and What was actually in the game was impossible to obtain (trade). I was disheartened.
I took a stab in the dark (actually much like I'm doing with you right now) and submitted a ticket to their customer service department. What ensued from their response was the most amazing, uplifting and generous thing I felt from customer service in a game. They wrote me a personalized response saying that they were impressed with my cosplay and felt sorry for me that I could not cosplay such a great character. Then they did the impossible: They GAVE ME, GIFTED ME the blade! I was stunned, shocked at such incredible charitable and exceptional service. I responded back saying how appreciative I was of this. They had only given me one and I mentioned that Kratos uses two of them and the reason I had created a Sith juggernaut was so I could dual wield two of them like he does in his game. I received another response saying they felt silly, of COURSE he uses two, here's a second one, and they gifted me yet another to complete my cosplay. (I have uploaded attachments of screenshots as proof of their exact responses in emails to me for you to read)

THAT is exceptional customer service. Going above and beyond to help someone achieve their goal who is clearly passionate about a specific feature in a game. I know absolutely that it was an exception, but it was an exception that made me enjoy the game immensely. I am asking not not a gift per se, but perhaps assistance to help meet me halfway. I am more than willing to pay money for cosmetics. It's what I enjoy. But I want to wear the Nova Training Suit on my Link character, and I want to be able to wear the Green Leather hoodwear on my Fafnir top so I can wear it into BATTLE! :D

I need help to make this done, just the opportunity to be ABLE to have this happen. I don't know what it would take to be able to make this happen. Maybe you behind the computer screen can help with this, maybe some head in the department that this message could be passed to and make it happen. But I'm begging you to please consider and help this cosplayer achieve his cosplay and make the currently impossible possible.
Thank you.
  1. Should Gendered equipment be allowed to be fusioned onto gender neutral items?4 votes
    1. Yes absolutely, It's silly that it's locked in the first place
       75% (3 votes)
    2. Yes, but only certain items. (Some Male tops would be inappropriate on Females etc)
       0% (0 votes)
    3. No , it's reasonable and I see why it's set up
       25% (1 vote)

Comments

• SlicedTimeSlicedTime
    Reactions: 1,720
    edited January 2020
    Didn't you already have a thread like this? I don't think anyone's really against the idea, but the length and format of the post make the suggestion pretty unapproachable.
    Fuhreak
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2020
    The difference is that the Star Wars items existed in the game and were equippable by your character, they just happened to no longer be sold. Customer Support could easily create new instances of them to give you.
    In this case, you are asking for something only the developers can do, a change in the game's programming. It could be a very easy change (just removing the Female-Only flag on the nova tunic) but it still can only be done by a programmer, over at Nexon Korea.

We have repeatedly asked for a solution to the scarcity of items that are gender-neutral and can be anviled onto CRA top or bottom. No progress, yet.
    You might want to look into Cash equipment covers. Perhaps you can find the look you want in that domain.
  • MarthRoyMarthRoy
    edited January 2020
    SlicedTime wrote: »
    Didn't you already have a thread like this? I don't think anyone's really against the idea, but the length and format of the post make the suggestion pretty unapproachable.

I was told by customer service department to post it here as well in suggestions. It's a pretty valid suggestion. And there was no response to as well.
  • MarthRoyMarthRoy
    edited January 2020
    AKradian wrote: »
    The difference is that the Star Wars items existed in the game and were equippable by your character, they just happened to no longer be sold. Customer Support could easily create new instances of them to give you.
    In this case, you are asking for something only the developers can do, a change in the game's programming. It could be a very easy change (just removing the Female-Only flag on the nova tunic) but it still can only be done by a programmer, over at Nexon Korea.

We have repeatedly asked for a solution to the scarcity of items that are gender-neutral and can be anviled onto CRA top or bottom. No progress, yet.
    You might want to look into Cash equipment covers. Perhaps you can find the look you want in that domain.

I have looked through all the cash shop inventory. There's nothing that comes remotely close to the Link tunic outfit look I'm searching for. If we make suggestions here for developers, can they be forwarded to the right developers in Korea, forwarded to the right people? I'd really like to think that making suggestions here has any weight and merit to them. This massive cosmetic limitation is a big concern to me.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2020
    MarthRoy wrote: »
    AKradian wrote: »

I have looked through all the cash shop inventory. There's nothing that comes remotely close to the Link tunic outfit look I'm searching for. If we make suggestions here for developers, can they be forwarded to the right developers in Korea, forwarded to the right people? I'd really like to think that making suggestions here has any weight and merit to them. This massive cosmetic limitation is a big concern to me.

We do pass suggestions on.
    I was just explaining why this issue is a lot less likely to be solved in the form of a personal favor, like your Star Wars game issue was.
    MarthRoy
  • StargethStargeth
    Reactions: 2,680
    edited February 2020
    I mean I'm down to support this. But as AKradian has pointed out, it's been suggested a lot of times as early as 5 years ago or something and it never got any attention by Nexon lol.
    WONDERGUY
  • MarthRoyMarthRoy
    edited February 2020

Stargeth wrote: »
    I mean I'm down to support this. But as AKradian has pointed out, it's been suggested a lot of times as early as 5 years ago or something and it never got any attention by Nexon lol.

Well let's get it some attention. I would hate to think our voices don't matter here in GMS to Nexon Korea. Surely this can continuously be brought up and eventually Korea will take notice. I just hope that suggestions get passed on to Korea so that something can be done with them.
    WONDERGUY
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited February 2020
    MarthRoy wrote: »
    Stargeth wrote: »

Well let's get it some attention. I would hate to think our voices don't matter here in GMS to Nexon Korea. Surely this can continuously be brought up and eventually Korea will take notice. I just hope that suggestions get passed on to Korea so that something can be done with them.

They basically don't.