[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Upcoming Shade nerf doesn't make ANY sense in GMS

DiaShadeDiaShade
Reactions: 310
edited March 2020 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
https://imgur.com/a/AkKcGoS

Okay, so I posted the official KMS patchnote, translated in english.
For anyone who does not want to click the link:
Soul Splitter was an uncomparable skill to use against high level bosses. Since this meant Eunwol was basically required in any party, we would like to reduce Soul Splitter’s efficiency and increase Eunwol’s own damage.
50% -> 20%

Everyone who reads those notes will probably laugh their behind off here in GMS, because over here, that is SUCH nonsense. GMS and KMS are different games in a sense that GMS is way more Reboot focused (Maplestory.gg shows exact numbers), we have a different Attack speed cap which makes Non-Hurricane classes who can't benefit from the AS speed weaker in comparison to KMS and we also have the most played class in all of Maplestory: The Kanna. Currently top support, top mobber and even for some odd reason top DPS.

Let me explain the split mechanic real quick for those who are unaware, because even high level Shades I met don't have a clue at times, let alone people who don't know the class and that's alot because it's a rather dead class in GMS.
Soul Split has 2 different mechanics, once for stationary, once for non. On stationary mobs you simply get the damage increase for 10 seconds, which you ofc can increase up to 20, but in order to do that you need to hit 10% of the Bosses health with the initial hit of the skill. I cap with my soulsplit and I won't get past 10 seconds ever on any high level boss (1 second increase per 1% dmg you do with your skill, have fun against bosses with 10T+ HP)

Non stationary monsters you create a shadow which you can damage IMPORTANT NOTE HOWEVER: you need to hit the body AND the shadow to do the full damage, you only do half damage if you hit the shadow, soon 20%. Some classes cannot even benefit from that. Then they talk about high level bosses, I include Damien and Lucid (phase 2 in particular) in those, both difficulties. Quite often when you split those bosses, even when you have bound them and they cannot move, the Shadow will appear somewhere else and not a single person can hit it, wasting your precious CD. Split also works like binds as in, with multiple Shades, or your CD reset you cannot just bind the boss again, there is an internal cooldown for when a boss can be bound again. Keep all of that in mind.

Now let's talk about the GMS Kanna which is right now the most played class in GMS by a landslide: Kanna, yes Reboot farmers (eventho most statistics only count 200+ Kannas), botters (many other classes are botting aswell), but everyone who plays GMS and probably even the Devs themselves can see: in nearly every endgame bossing squad you can find a Kanna. They are so good at bossing and buffing the party. Idk about other servers but in Luna ppl won't accept you in Hardlucid/ hwill below 40k stats, Kannas are allowed to join with 25k stats, just because they increase the whole party's damage by so much throughout the run.
The bossing bubble which can cover a whole lot of ground is 20%dmg + 25% boss damage (or vice versa, but it's 45% dmg in total)
Then there is Domain. 33% final damage to the party once it's fully stacked (which isn't too hard), it's a huuuge beam which often enough will be able to cover the boss, especially p1,3 Hlucid, P3 Hwill, gloom and blackmage doesn't seem to move much either.
Important note: Split is 10 seconds with an internal cooldown of 90 for the boss itself.
Domain is 74 seconds with a 196 cooldown, not internal. Has 1/3 uptime AND you could just have 2-3 Kannas even for more uptime. No1 invites more than 1 shade in their party, because it's a waste of a slot.
THE ONLY TIME a Shade is superior is when you have someone who hits cap with a multi target skill, because technically with shades split the new cap is 20B per hit (which was used back then when the cap was lower to speedrun bosses), but in Reboot especially this is probably less of a concern.
Also let's not forget Kannas have 2 Full map attack binds that always last 15 seconds for some odd reason. No other class has that, that alone is the reason everyone will want a Kanna in their squad.

Right now the GMS devs are looking for some way to reduce the playrate of kannas, because it's not a good look if 14% of the population play a single class out of 40+ available ones. Nerfing another support class won't certainly help that cause. Shade is just a poor man's Kanna over here. Most shade players just play it, because they love the aesthetics or the feel, but as like a viable endgame class, not even I, the Nr.1 Shade in Luna, would recommend it. Why play a worse Kanna.
Ofc we get a 15% final damage buff in return, so our damage is better, but seriously, that was needed regardless. Shade has been the 2nd worse DPS, just above bishop, for such a long time throughout the years, let us have those 15% FD without gutting our 1 party skill into the ground. We also get a buff to a 3rd job skill that some Shades in KMS seem to use to burst, but then again -> it's a skill that doesn't benefit from AS, hence why it's not really helping our cause, except you cast it passively with our 5th job skill, but that's such a miniscule increase.

I know the Devs are busy as hell and don't know all their classes by heart. They usually rely on KMS and just copy paste notes and this may be a dead cause, but I at LEAST hope for another explanation once they bring those nerfs over because that explanation is the dumbest thing ever over here in GMS, except you nerf Kannas partybuffs alongside.
There aren't many shades in gms, this may seem useless to you, but this is a case for: We have a different meta, we deserve other balance patches. You never know when your class will get nerfed eventho it's impact in GMS isn't nearly as big as in KMS.

TL;DR: You don't need to nerf a skill of a weak class when we have a much stronger, way more popular class which ALREADY does a way better job in GMS.

I am not on the GMS discord, but I heard some of the devs and gms linger around there, so if you read this and could direct them over here, it would be much appreciated.
Count

Comments

• darikdarik
    Reactions: 3,270
    edited March 2020
    Its not a nerf, in fact, its a buff, they are buffing spirit frenzy, giving us final damage AND improving damage of shade when split but reducing damage of party members with split. So what they are doing is improving the solo play of shade, which i completelly agree with it.
    Shade is a very weak class compared to other new classes and old classes, right now they only have split, ppl want them in pty not because of thweiur dmg, but because of split.
    Shade deserves more damage in solo play so more people try the class.
    Its the same as biashop, which is incredibly weak both in mobbing and in bossing, it only has a support . This is the reason why nearly no one plays bishop these days. Because its weak and no one wants to be a weak support class. Everyone wants to deal good dmg, or almost everyone.
  • Penguinz0Penguinz0
    Reactions: 3,220
    edited March 2020
    It doesn't matter. GMS will always get whatever balancing patch kms gets simply due to devs not giving enough rat's @ss about it to change it. HS nerf didn't make sense in gms, but they did it anyway. DA nether shield nerf didn't make sense in GMS but they did it anyway. Sure, it makes sense to modify the patch note to conform to the environment of GMS, but this is NX dev we're talking here. Too hard, too lazy. Just copy and paste the patch they give to us without changing a single thing. That's pretty much their way of running things. Ffs, they even copy and pasted the starforce 1+1 event codes awhile back, which had a MASSIVE bug that led to shutdown of AH in KMS, without changing a single thing, and guess what, the same exact bug happened and we closed AH for awhile just like KMS did.
    darik