[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.250 - Mayple Island Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Maplestory Won't Launch

Captain_JHawkCaptain_JHawk
Reactions: 500
edited April 2020 in Tech Support
I have not played Maplestory for a long while but when I tried both Steam and Nexon Launchers I get the same problem.

Problem: As soon as I hit PLAY the Nexon Security comes up then a small white box and then it closes out and nothing happens. No error messages or anything.

What I have tried:

I have gone in both steam and nexon directories to launch the game directly.
Result: A web page comes up with a 101 error.

I have set both with admin permissions.
Result: No change

I have went to the Registry to change the Soscreen from 1 to 3

I saw another thread on this page and tried every solution.

Since there is no visible error code, I figured I would check my logs in the event viewer and this is what comes up when it crashes.
Result:

Faulting application name: MapleStory.exe, version: 8.212.3.0, time stamp: 0x5e8bfac0
Faulting module name: KERNEL32.DLL, version: 10.0.18362.778, time stamp: 0x17139767
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0005cce0
Faulting process id: 0x173c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d613761b97e2e0
Faulting application path: B:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\MapleStory\MapleStory.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNEL32.DLL
Report Id: 3691d645-dc8d-470c-84c7-d2df8b74e500
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

System I am running:

Windows 10
AMD FX 8350 4.2Ghz
G.Skill 1600Mhz Ram 16GB
R9 290X Tri X
Gigabyte Mobo
AMD (OCZ) SSD 250GB
Seagate 350GB HHD
EVGA 1000W PSU

ASUS (1920x 1080) Monitor 59Hz

I have no idea what any of this means but I would assume something is wrong with the Kernel32.DLL File. If it is the culprit how does one fix this?

Thank you.

Comments

• djwhitebootydjwhitebooty
    Reactions: 330
    edited April 2020
    Do you have another computer? Or a laptop running the same windows version? You can copy the DLL file from a trustworthy PC and replace the one that is corrupt on your current one. Then you re-register the DLL via command prompt when it's been replaced.
  • Captain_JHawkCaptain_JHawk
    edited April 2020
    I do not, This is my only gaming/office system.
    edited April 2020

If you have a trustworthy website to download it from (i've used dll-files website in the past, I think they're still up, just download the dll itself and dont download any software), or a friend with a windows 10 setup that you can get it from, then do that.
    Captain_JHawk
    edited April 2020

If you have a trustworthy website to download it from (i've used dll-files website in the past, I think they're still up, just download the dll itself and dont download any software), or a friend with a windows 10 setup that you can get it from, then do that.

That may be an idea, I never had to replace a .dll file before is there specific instruction into doing so? I don't want to crash my system.
    edited April 2020

That may be an idea, I never had to replace a .dll file before is there specific instruction into doing so? I don't want to crash my system.

Yes. you need to re-register the replaced DLL. After you replace it, press Winkey+R and in the open box type "kernel32.dll /regserver" without quotations. You may need to open it in administrator mode for it to work, if it doesn't then doing it through command prompt (in admin mode) should be just fine.
    edited April 2020
    Ok, I am assuming it needs to be the 32 bit instead of the 64bit, right? I see a trustworthy site with the .dll files with different versions. I just also had this thought to, why didn't the game launch in 64bit? I am assuming it is still using the same 32bit file....
    edited April 2020
    Ok, I am assuming it needs to be the 32 bit instead of the 64bit, right? I see a trustworthy site with the .dll files with different versions. I just also had this thought to, why didn't the game launch in 64bit? I am assuming it is still using the same 32bit file....

You download what your computer needs. If you're running a 64bit system then you need the 64bit file.
    edited April 2020

You download what your computer needs. If you're running a 64bit system then you need the 64bit file.

Well I replaced it but did not work. Game still crashes however it does not show any errors in the event viewer. I am not sure what else to try.
    edited April 2020

Well I replaced it but did not work. Game still crashes however it does not show any errors in the event viewer. I am not sure what else to try.
    you restarted and everything after installing right? I'm sure you did, just want to make sure.
    You can run dxdiag to see what's causing the crash instead of event viewer
    edited April 2020

you restarted and everything after installing right? I'm sure you did, just want to make sure.
    You can run dxdiag to see what's causing the crash instead of event viewer

System Information
    Time of this report: 4/15/2020, 17:27:46
    Machine name: DESKTOP-GL819F1
    Machine Id: {233AFC34-BA85-4916-89CC-9F1C205A3894}
    Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 18363) (18362.19h1_release.190318-1202)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    System Model: To be filled by O.E.M.
    BIOS: F2 (type: UEFI)
    Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
    Memory: 14336MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 14300MB RAM
    Page File: 8788MB used, 7687MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 12
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    Miracast: Available, with HDCP
    Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
    DirectX Database Version: Unknown
    DxDiag Version: 10.00.18362.0387 64bit Unicode
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited April 2020
    An error with the KERNAL32 DLL file indicates the program is accessing the memory wrong. This can be caused by a number of issues, ranging from a corrupt installation of the program itself to faulty registry entries to hardware issues.

Here is what I was able to find on the matter.
    edited April 2020
    Neospector wrote: »
    An error with the KERNAL32 DLL file indicates the program is accessing the memory wrong. This can be caused by a number of issues, ranging from a corrupt installation of the program itself to faulty registry entries to hardware issues.

Here is what I was able to find on the matter.

The only thing I can think of looking at the link you provided. It has to be Maplestory itself or the Launcher. I have no other issues and certainly never had a .dll issue before installing Nexon/Maplestory. Many other steam games work perfect and also other launcher style platforms like Epic, GOG, and Origin also work perfectly fine.

The only issue I have with my system is the random BSOD's from my memory due to the AMD Memory Controller with 4 dims of 1600Mhz memory. While Gigabyte mobo can handle 1600Mhz across 4 dims it sometimes doesn't like it.