[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Why the game still runs on 32 bits based system?

Juan_Miranda_MedelJuan_Miranda_Medel
Reactions: 100
in General Chat
Any specific explanation? Called out my attention this morning, we at 2020 and this one was a disccusion from 2012 and even before that.

If theres any way to update, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Comments

• NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited June 2020
    Because it was created in a time when 32-bit games were common, and it's not really possible to simply "upgrade" from 32-bit to 64-bit without rewriting the entire game from scratch.

In any case, a 32-bit application is not in any way particularly "worse" than a 64-bit application; Microsoft Word, for example, is 32-bit. Additionally, most 64-bit applications are not truly "64-bit" because they don't need to be. Additionally, some programs can be hybrids, and judging by some of Maple's numbers this is likely the case, with 32-bit mainly being lower-level architecture.
    Fuhreak
  • SlicedTimeSlicedTime
    Reactions: 1,720
    edited June 2020
    Depending on how the game is built converting a 32-bit application to a 64-bit application is either trivial (e.g. recompile with different target) or very laborous (e.g. change everything about how pointers are used). My guess would be on the latter option.

By my understanding the biggest difference here in between 32- and 64-bit application is the amount memory they can address, max ~4GB with 32-bit and on 64-bit anywhere between 128GB and 2TB. I don't think it's a very relevant point with MapleStory since I don't remember it ever using that much RAM. In addition 64-bit executables don't work on 32-bit machines. However, I don't think that's a very relevant point nowadays, seeing as 32-bit Windows installs are a small minority and Microsoft is soon dropping support for their 32-bit operating systems. Also, let's face it, nowadays more than 4GB RAM is pretty much essential, unless you only browse the internet with like three tabs max which makes 32-bit machines quite irrelevant for the large majority of consumers in my opinion.
  • HerptheDerpHerptheDerp
    Reactions: 1,200
    edited June 2020
    Game has been riddled with bugs since it's inception. It is over 15 years old. Nexon has the money to overhaul the game. They are just too cheap to do it and would rather spend their money on failure projects like MS2
    Juan_Miranda_Medel
  • Juan_Miranda_MedelJuan_Miranda_Medel
    Reactions: 100
    edited June 2020
    Game has been riddled with bugs since it's inception. It is over 15 years old. Nexon has the money to overhaul the game. They are just too cheap to do it and would rather spend their money on failure projects like MS2

This one seemed the kind of answer i was looking for, more sincere.
    We seem to be playing ATARI compaired to other games.
    I guess we love Classics, and the company love to see us spend our money on this 2000's game
  • AlbinorockAlbinorock
    Reactions: 2,205
    Member, Private Tester
    edited June 2020
    Game isn't very popular so a revamp isn't needed and isn't coming.