[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Let's talk about the familiar situation

freedompiefreedompie
Reactions: 420
edited July 2020 in General Chat
I'll probably come out as someone who is salty for not taking the opportunity to farm Jr Boogies and Oda familiars when I've had the chance but I just want to get this off my chest.

I've been fine with missing out on older content that allowed for people to progress faster such as pottable badges. However, this time feels different.

When familiars were revamped in April, there was a bug where their drop rates were too high and epic tier familiars were giving out unique tier lines. The system was then taken down and was just brought back up today with a lower drop rate on all familiars and also epic familiars no longer giving unique tier lines.

Now, players who exploited the bug got to keep their familiars and unique lines and while I could accept them keeping their familiars because they did spend the time, albeit a lot less time than it would take now, to farm for the familiars I am put off by them also keeping these extremely overpowered bonuses.

This, in my opinion, is different from the pottable badge situation. While pottable badges did give players an advantage, the badges were at least once an intended mechanic in the game and the people who got them did not exploit a bug to get them.

It is simply not fair that players can be leaps ahead because they exploited a bug in the game.

Now I don't blame the people who exploited the bug to get these lines, you need to take every little advantage you can get, but I blame Nexon's handling of this situation. There are two different ways I could have seen Nexon dealing with the situation which I would see fair, either they could have reset familiars to a pre-revamped state and then reintroduced the revamp, or the could have reset the potential lines of all familiars added during the few days where people were getting their unique lines. Instead, Nexon makes you feel bad for missing out on taking advantage of those few days.

In the end, the familiars and their potential lines gained from that timeframe were from an exploit and unintended, if not, then Nexon wouldn't have shut the system down so quickly and kept it down for 3 months.

Maybe an even more creative solution could have been for Nexon to turn the bug into an event. Instead of hurriedly disabling the feature, give everyone a timeframe, like a month, where they can get familiars at an increased drop rate with unique tier potentials. Make it into an event where people could plan around while giving Nexon a time window to fix the bug, but that's a complete fantasy since that would be giving players too much of a sense of progression.

TLDR: Nexon bad.
KrownopiLikeRichClo

Comments

• ShadEightShadEight
    Reactions: 3,110
    edited July 2020
    I don't mind that others got the stats they wanted in such a short time during that initial oversight. I don't mind that nexon let it slip by because they are too stupid to come up with a solution. However I DO mind that I would have to spend an astronomical amount of time getting BARELY DECENT stats when the previous system gave us a huge IED source basically for free.
    Krownop
  • RokaniRokani
    Reactions: 1,220
    edited July 2020
    Reboot really needs the red card put in, grinding for the 500+ cards you will need to rank up to unique is really going to suck (2.5 - 5 mins or so for a card 20.8 - 41 hours per 'roll' and you will probably need 10-100 rolls so 200 - 2000 hours?!?! for a single line hopefully?!?!) even if you only went for epic it would still take 70-700 hours.
    And then the next problem is gl getting sets complete, bosses are hella rare and the unobtainable mobs... so your only real choice is to farm booster packs, 2k points is 200 cards which is 8-16 hours of card grinding...
    Krownop
  • iArrowZiArrowZ
    Reactions: 1,710
    edited July 2020
    Rokani wrote: »
    Reboot really needs the red card put in, grinding for the 500+ cards you will need to rank up to unique is really going to suck (2.5 - 5 mins or so for a card 20.8 - 41 hours per 'roll' and you will probably need 10-100 rolls so 200 - 2000 hours?!?! for a single line hopefully?!?!) even if you only went for epic it would still take 70-700 hours.
    And then the next problem is gl getting sets complete, bosses are hella rare and the unobtainable mobs... so your only real choice is to farm booster packs, 2k points is 200 cards which is 8-16 hours of card grinding...

yes the drop rate is for sure a huge issue.

even tho i do not think red familiars will be put in reboot for several reason. at the very least the drop rate should not be atrocious to actually allow players to utilize the system without burning out. the current drop rates are pretty terrible even for commons.
  • KrownopKrownop
    Reactions: 825
    edited July 2020
    iArrowZ wrote: »
    even tho i do not think red familiars will be put in reboot for several reason.

why is that? I can't think of a good reason why red familiars shouldn't be on reboot, its just like cubes. Unless you are taking into account nexon's greed, if that's the case then fair.
  • iArrowZiArrowZ
    Reactions: 1,710
    edited July 2020
    Krownop wrote: »
    iArrowZ wrote: »
    even tho i do not think red familiars will be put in reboot for several reason.

why is that? I can't think of a good reason why red familiars shouldn't be on reboot, its just like cubes. Unless you are taking into account nexon's greed, if that's the case then fair.

yes that is exactly why LOL.
    but also because there is no f2p method of obtaining them in regular server.

if u think about it this way.
    most of the items nx related items u get with MESO in reboot is stuff that is in the reward point shop.

the red familar card is not going to be in the reward point shop.

which means unless reboot suddenly is okay with p2w I highly doubt reboot is getting it.
  • iLikeRichCloiLikeRichClo
    Reactions: 1,050
    edited July 2020
    I think the event thing should be considered freedompie; I think that there must be something done with reducing the amount of hours it takes to get good lines of familiars for current players at the moment. I think red familiar card can be considered; anything to take away from catching up to the rest of the players from taking hundreds or thousands of hours...
  • pat159pat159
    Reactions: 1,090
    edited July 2020
    It's funny, they revamp the system because they considered it a dead thing that no one used after they got there 3-5 familiars (in the old system). But then release it with a bug that let players get higher stats than intended, don't mention it's a bug, let people keep those familiars and "fix" the new ones. Then to "balance" it they reduce the drop rate to be so atrocious that basically anyone who didn't exploit the 4 days where it was bugged won't be using it after they get their badges since after a couple of hundreds of hours of farming monsters that don't give you any mesos or exp will net you a roll or two on your familiar. I am speaking for reboot just fyi. Pretty much as if you made the cubes cost 22b mesos instead of 22m and expect that people would still farm for them. Even farming 22b for 1 potential reroll is a lot faster than close to hundreds of hours for 1 reroll. Pretty sure barely anyone would cube. And not only that but when farming mesos you actually gain some exp out of it. Familiars you gain literally nothing farming them other than the familiar cards WHEN they drop. Everything is counter productive in this system, it pushes people from late/end game to farm worthless monsters that are extremely low level for them for thousands of hours.